Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:38:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The /r/Bitcoin Reddit Ad Campaign  (Read 1376 times)
Anonymous

June 14, 2011, 12:29:05 AM

Alright, the transaction fee is not so high anymore. You can now literally throw pennies at causes you like, so now I feel inclined to ask for some funds towards our ad campaign on Reddit. We want every individual on Reddit to know what a Bitcoin is and why they should get into it. There are millions of potential tech-savvy users on there so it isn't too difficult of a feat. We just need a few hundred dollars or so in Bitcoins to get a good long campaign in with banner link ads and with the nice square image ads on the right-side.

Here's the donation address: 1KSDXrsgiQ5mdd7Cg9MMQRnzNgiFm4BiAf (On MyBitcoin, so don't bother with BlockExplorer.)

Here's the Bitcoin Reddit: http://bitcoin.reddit.com ...the headquarters for this whole shin-dig.

Thanks for your consideration and godspeed.

Remember, just a penny... just a penny would be appreciated. It all adds up.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 12:37:00 AM

Bitcoin doesn't have a client worth advertising yet.

I understand how you feel, but calm down. Let's at least get to 0.4 before advertising anything.
Anonymous

June 14, 2011, 12:39:22 AM

Bitcoin doesn't have a client worth advertising yet.

I understand how you feel, but calm down. Let's at least get to 0.4 before advertising anything.
You really think the client is that inaccessible to laymen?
Garrett Burgwardt

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 12:41:59 AM

Not inaccessible, but certainly it has its shortcomings. Fee confusion and not being able to opt out of fees are the big things, encryption is another. Seriously, without an encrypted wallet file it is a dangerous way to store money for many many people.

If we're going to push bitcoin, wait for it to have some kickass new features and basic safety precautions.
Anonymous

June 14, 2011, 12:45:40 AM

Not inaccessible, but certainly it has its shortcomings. Fee confusion and not being able to opt out of fees are the big things, encryption is another. Seriously, without an encrypted wallet file it is a dangerous way to store money for many many people.

If we're going to push bitcoin, wait for it to have some kickass new features and basic safety precautions.
I still think the concept is worth advertising. Then with said demand will a mainstream, easy client arise. The current development team has no profit-incentive. We need word-of-mouth more than ever.
Garrett Burgwardt

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 12:54:51 AM

But if people see bitcoin now, and don't recognize the potential and simply see the flaws, more people will just be turned off. Again, wait for .4, it shouldn't be too long, and adds some basic functionality.
Anonymous

June 14, 2011, 12:55:35 AM

But if people see bitcoin now, and don't recognize the potential and simply see the flaws, more people will just be turned off. Again, wait for .4, it shouldn't be too long, and adds some basic functionality.
I won't start the campaign now but we still need to build funding.
gigitrix

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:03:10 AM

I don't think the client puts savvy people off in the slightest: it's whether they "get" it or not conceptually. And reddit is savvy people: we're used to working around a barebones, sometimes confusing UI Cheesy
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 04:39:02 AM

While I support bitcoin wholeheartedly, there is one (of many) glaring problems in the current client.

Not a single goddamned thing tells you it is 'waiting' to download the friggin blockchain. That will cost you a lot of user goodwill, right there.

"Why can't I do anything?"

"Why is the bitcoin I just sent/received just hanging at zero confirms?"

We understand the system, so this behaviour of the client isn't foreign to us, but to someone totally green - it seems like some arbitrary obstacle, if they ever spend the energy to learn about it, that is.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 05:13:44 AM

Atlas:

i agree with TraderTimm:

Not a single goddamned thing tells you it is 'waiting' to download the friggin blockchain. That will cost you a lot of user goodwill, right there.

"Why can't I do anything?"

"Why is the bitcoin I just sent/received just hanging at zero confirms?"

We understand the system, so this behaviour of the client isn't foreign to us, but to someone totally green - it seems like some arbitrary obstacle, if they ever spend the energy to learn about it, that is.

i also agree with Garrett Burgwardt:

furthermore, i believe your concession, here:

I won't start the campaign now but we still need to build funding.

...is wise.

all of that said, i have transmitted 1.01 BTC to the wallet in the OP - an odd number, so you will know it is from me.  i still have no intuitive grasp of how one makes it clear - without this sort of jumping-through-hoops identification - that a sent amount originates from a specific account.  [perhaps v. 0.4.xx will address that?  Roll Eyes ]  i believe you will not only do what is right with it - but do what is effective.

go.
Anonymous

June 14, 2011, 05:15:01 AM

Much obliged, sir. Your donation will be used to maximum utility.
airdata

Activity: 1148
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:09:05 PM

I'll try to drop my 0.02 or more when I get home to my wallet.

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀