Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:35:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTS] The Keyois Capsule. A new type of physical bitcoin *NEW*12-ton press video  (Read 7455 times)
aolley (OP)

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 04:55:59 PM
Last edit: March 05, 2017, 03:03:39 AM by aolley

Keyois.com now live, check it out for everything Keyois Capsule related

What?
Is a cryptocurrency piggy bank. You can put funds into it but you need to break it apart to spend the funds.
It's hard to break apart so it's tamper-resistant and tamper-evident. It won't burn, rot, rust, melt, or otherwise lose data where so many other types of cold storage would.

Why?
I was unsatisfied with current methods of cold storage and so I decided to make myself something better. Click here to see problems with common methods of cold storage and why you should want something better.

A backup seed or private key can be printed on paper or stored digitally but these mediums can be damaged by fire, time, water, and much more. Not everyone can have the perfect backup procedure and this is great if you don't have land or need something to last a long time.
To be fair there are cheaper ways to improve your own situation, including: stamping or engraving on a piece of steel and securing that from wandering eyes; but this is super stylish.

The Keyois Capsule is a tamper evident yet stylish way to keep a secret key safe from harm.

Benefits over a conventional paper cold storage wallet include:  
  • Titanium rings won't become unreadable with water or smoke damage
  • Rot proof (until we get alien fungus, probably from space)
  • Made of corrosion/rust resistant materials
  • Key pair is kept in water tight space
  • Shinny and all awesome looking
  • Can survive being boiled in custard and baked into a pie
  • Tamper evident, if someone sees your current paper wallet you might not know until you go to spend it

The Keyois Capsule    

How?
Your BIP38 encrypted Secret Key (or otherwise encrypted backup seed) in engraved into a titanium ring.    
That is set inside another ring that bears the address.    
That is then put into a tamper evident and air-tight capsule with a elegant centerpiece of lab-created ruby or sapphire.  

The end pieces are made of aircraft grade aluminium (al 6061) and the 'glass' surrounding it is borosilicate (pyrex).

I will give away one free capsule to anyone who correctly figures out where I got "Keyois" from, but I doubt anyone will get it. Still if you want to try just make a guess in the comments or message me. - That's all folks, someone figured out how we got the name!

To get the ball rolling I have made seven capsules available that are already ready-to-go that are available for sale without providing me with a encrypted key and address; I'll send you everything already generated and secured. No more of these left, thanks to those who got them! Sold out of these, thanks so much everyone!

You must supply me with an address and a BIP38 encrypted secret key / encrypted seed. Because of this these items are not recommended for novices.

Please re-read BIP38 and do some research on password strength and see this info about the pieces

As a customizable artwork, the Keyois capsule has many potential possibilities.

The main centerpiece options for buyers include:

To see more centerpiece options and under more light see the following albums: The main centerpiece options, miscellaneous options, & watermelon-tourmaline & quartz/ bright lights/ magnets

Of the first edition capsules: 13 new capsules remain available in total. 10 more are available that have been used for pictures and the end pieces have scratches, you can buy one of these 'worn' capsules for 15% off.

Second edition capsules hopefully coming soon!

Photos

See list of all photo albums

Including things such as: Impact Testing by hitting with Tractor bucket + Radiograph & negative, Potato video of tractor crushing  (Headphone warning!), water-tight Testing, a GIF of one option for centerpieces, the rubies under UV light , the x-ray and normal compared  , how reflective they are , the screw heads drilled out, more professional photographs by videographer WordsmithJr, a long imgur album about me making the capsules, & the size.

When?
Visit Keyois.com to order!

Message me to order, I will ask you to:

• Choose the centerpiece style
    • Supply me with an address and an encrypted key / seed
    • Message me with these details and your shipping address. Shipping is free within the USA but I have to charge for international orders, give me  your postal code for a shipping cost estimate. Turn around time is 3-5 weeks
    • Send payment in bitcoin to 13kqk3uk2b577KBSjZuwKQT3MGD9mEaVJC, price is $100 US

GIFs!

tl;dr: The Keyois Capsule is a fire/water/smoke/chemical/high-temperature/low-temperature/damage/sunlight/fluctuating high-strength magnetic field/age/time/view/ & tamper resistant piggy bank. A better method of cold storage it's cold hard storage.

[/list]

See my cold hard storage device at: Keyois.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
    Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
    Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
    "This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
    Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
    Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
    Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
    klondike_bar
    Legendary

Activity: 2128
    Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
    October 23, 2016, 09:46:13 PM

I really like these, reminds me a lot of kialara's design concepts.

Is it possible to purchase the entire assembly (engaved) so that it can be double-checked by buyer to ensure keys are correct?

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
    No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
    aolley (OP)

View Profile
    October 23, 2016, 10:05:30 PM

I really like these, reminds me a lot of kialara's design concepts.

Is it possible to purchase the entire assembly (engaved) so that it can be double-checked by buyer to ensure keys are correct?

Thanks! Yes i took a lot of inspiration from the Kialara coin, in fact I think I wrote him and some other people an email about a year ago suggesting they make something along these lines, when I never got any responses is when I took matters into my own hands.

I can photograph the inner ring before assembly if you like. Once the rings are epoxied together the gemstones are also set in epoxy and well maybe I also put some epoxy on the ends of the stands offs for added strength. Anyway that isn't so hard but torquing the screws and adding loctite to the screws and drilling out the screw heads present some challenges for some people. If you really want it though I see no reason why not.

digicoinuser
    Legendary

Activity: 2702
    Merit: 1072

View Profile
    October 23, 2016, 11:37:59 PM

I'm really looking forward to this item and appreciate all the hard work that's gone into the project.  Stay tuned as it should be here this week and I'll share some pictures.   Smiley

TommyBitcoin

Activity: 350
    Merit: 250

Interested in the Power of Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
    October 23, 2016, 11:38:56 PM

These really are neat!  I agree- they remind me of the Kialaras.

A couple of questions:

1) do you accept escrow?  

2) Are these numbered, in a collectible kind-of way?

I am still interested, and I love seeing the creativity that has sprouted out of the physical bitcoin space.  Cheesy

*********BUY OR SELL YOUR BITCOIN TO A TRUSTED TRADER********
    ***I want to buy and sell you bitcoins***(eight )-(eight)-4 85-TOMMY
    aolley (OP)

View Profile
    October 24, 2016, 06:31:17 PM

These really are neat!  I agree- they remind me of the Kialaras.

A couple of questions:

1) do you accept escrow?  

2) Are these numbered, in a collectible kind-of way?

I am still interested, and I love seeing the creativity that has sprouted out of the physical bitcoin space.  Cheesy

Hi there, thanks for the comments!

Escrow is no problem, but this is my first time making/selling anything like this and I am not well versed

The items themselves are not numbered, I didn't like some of the marking other physical coins had so I decided to go just smooth and unmarked.
    Really I don't think they would be very collectable since the key is pass-phrase protected; however there are only 50 of these 1st editions and the next editions will all look different. So you can collect all the editions i suppose.

There will be a number handwritten on the package; the packaging is kind of fun too. I tried to avoid that whole mycelium entropy - problem in packages potentially being opened

aolley (OP)

View Profile
    October 25, 2016, 06:59:36 PM

Perhaps I should make a separate post but in the bottom of this post is this point:

I will give away one free capsule to anyone who correctly figures out where I got "Keyois" from, but I doubt anyone will get it. Still if you want to try just make a guess in the comments or message me.

Also I just realized this could have been called a BitCapsule

BitcoinPenny
    aka CJBianco
    Legendary

Activity: 2662
    Merit: 2203

BitcoinPenny.com

View Profile WWW
    October 25, 2016, 08:26:49 PM
    Last edit: October 25, 2016, 08:51:32 PM by BitcoinPenny

I will give away one free capsule to anyone who correctly figures out where I got "Keyois" from, but I doubt anyone will get it. Still if you want to try just make a guess in the comments or message me.

I'll try...

My guess is that it's a subtle, tongue-in-cheek comparison of your unique cold wallet design against all other cold wallet designs. To be more specific, it's a portmanteau of the words "key" (as in the bitcoin private key) and the acronym EYOIS which stands for "Everything You Own Is Sh*t" (when compared to the unique design of the Keyois).

How many guesses do we get?

Regards,
    Chris

BitcoinPenny.com | "When it comes to bitcoin swag, we make perfect CENTS!"
    miffman
    Legendary

Activity: 1904

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
    October 25, 2016, 08:50:28 PM

Perhaps I should make a separate post but in the bottom of this post is this point:

The part 'key' has to do with the bitcoin private keys and 'yois' stands for: Ye Olde Infocomme Shoppe (software collectibles)  Grin (ref: http://www.acronymfinder.com/YOIS.html)

I have to be close  Tongue

█ 
    █ 
    █ 
    █ 
    █ 
    █ 
    █ 
    █ 
    █ 
    █ 
    █ 
    BitBlender 

█ 
    █ 
    █ 
    █ 
    █ 
    █ 
    █ 
    █ 
    █ 
    █ 
    █ 
    aolley (OP)

View Profile
    October 26, 2016, 01:53:15 AM

I'll try...

My guess is that it's a subtle, tongue-in-cheek comparison of your unique cold wallet design against all other cold wallet designs. To be more specific, it's a portmanteau of the words "key" (as in the bitcoin private key) and the acronym EYOIS which stands for "Everything You Own Is Sh*t" (when compared to the unique design of the Keyois).

How many guesses do we get?

Regards,
    Chris

You can have as many guesses as you'd like, I still don't think anyone will get it

aolley (OP)

View Profile
    October 26, 2016, 02:32:39 AM

The part 'key' has to do with the bitcoin private keys and 'yois' stands for: Ye Olde Infocomme Shoppe (software collectibles)  Grin (ref: http://www.acronymfinder.com/YOIS.html)

Hello friend, you are not close. I will give you a hint though, the english word 'key' has nothing to do with it. I very much doubt anyone will get it; but that isn't to say they would be unable.

digicoinuser
    Legendary

Activity: 2702
    Merit: 1072

View Profile
    October 26, 2016, 02:46:21 AM

Got mine in yesterday, un-boxing was neat since the item was secured in a sealed "enclosure" that had to be broken in order to retrieve the item.  After breaking the enclosure, it was sealed in a capsule with tamper evident hologram.  Opening that revealed the Keyois capsule and it turned out to be quite a nice custom item!   Smiley

Here is the whole un-boxing photo album if interested - http://imgur.com/a/M5oZY

klondike_bar
    Legendary

Activity: 2128

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
    October 26, 2016, 10:29:52 PM

Hello friend, you are not close. I will give you a hint though, the english word 'key' has nothing to do with it. I very much doubt anyone will get it; but that isn't to say they would be unable.
    there goes "key wise"...
    how about " kontains encrypted yonkers of indestructible storage"?

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
    No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
    aolley (OP)

View Profile
    October 28, 2016, 11:58:57 PM

there goes "key wise"...
    how about " kontains encrypted yonkers of indestructible storage"?

Ha, no not that either. A few more guesses and I'll give another hint.

aolley (OP)

View Profile
    November 03, 2016, 12:09:40 AM
    Last edit: November 05, 2016, 09:55:59 PM by aolley

I'm going to be doing some durability testing of the capsules and I'd like to share my results and even take suggestions (but I can't promise I can do them).

Let's start with Water-tight Testing: https://imgur.com/a/aY9F3
    The capsules are water-tight when underwater for 3 weeks.

The capsules are water-tight with an exterior pressure of 30PSI for at least a few hours.

I also want to do comparisons between some other methods of cold storage and to make that cheaper I will use fakes: a USB stick, a printed piece of paper, & a coin with a tamper evident sticker.

Planned tests:
    • Crushing with a back-hoe
    • Fire
    • Moving from hot to cold. I've done boiling water to ice slurry but what about poor-man's liquid nitrogen(Dry-ice mixed with alcohol slurry)  or boiling oil so that the change is enough to crack the borosilicate (pyrex)
    • Eat with harsh chemicals

tothemoonsands

Activity: 1033
    Merit: 658

friendsofsatoshi.com

View Profile
    November 03, 2016, 05:17:14 AM

I'm going to be doing some durability testing of the capsules and I'd like to share my results and even take suggestions (but I can't promise I can do them).

Let's start with Water-tight Testing

The capsules are water-tight with an exterior pressure of 30PSI for at least a few hours.

I also want to do comparisons between some other methods of cold storage and to make that cheaper I will use fakes: a USB stick, a printed piece of paper, & a coin with a tamper evident sticker.

Planned tests:
    • Fire
    • Moving from hot to cold. I've done boiling water to ice slurry but what about poor-man's liquid nitrogen(Dry-ice mixed with alcohol slurry)  or boiling oil so that the change is enough to crack the borosilicate (pyrex)

Are you going to film this? If not, I'd love to get one of these for a "Friends of Satoshi" Review (See Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD_a4hqRUzIvtUv30QXYX5Q
    ) If you are, we could help with the post-production? Just let me know - it's a great product you are building!

aolley (OP)

View Profile
    November 06, 2016, 10:48:43 PM

Let's start with Water-tight Testing

Planned tests:
    • Fire
    • Moving from hot to cold. I've done boiling water to ice slurry but what about poor-man's liquid nitrogen(Dry-ice mixed with alcohol slurry)  or boiling oil so that the change is enough to crack the borosilicate (pyrex)

Are you going to film this? If not, I'd love to get one of these for a "Friends of Satoshi" Review (See Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD_a4hqRUzIvtUv30QXYX5Q
    ) If you are, we could help with the post-production? Just let me know - it's a great product you are building!

Yes I will film it and put a video up, hopefully sometime next week.

Rmcdermott927
    Legendary

Activity: 2254
    Merit: 1140

View Profile
    November 07, 2016, 04:03:10 AM

Do you still have ones with the tritium inserts?

If so, I'll take one of those.   

Feel free to send me a PM if you do.   Thanks.

monkeynuts
    Legendary

Activity: 1251
    Merit: 1259

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
    November 07, 2016, 09:10:50 AM

Great innovation here ! Good to see something a little different from the rounds with holos or paperwallets

I will wait for a few more folks to give their opinions once they have recieved them, before I order one. But I like it.

I would love to see some evolution of this concept into a 'reusable' product. Similar level of protection against the elements, but that you dont have to destroy to access the funds .... if that is possible. Potentially ship with spare rings to DIY the BIP38 encrypted Secret Key (ie self engrave) for the next use. Appreciate that would be a big ask ! Potentially compromise a little on the level of protection available, for the ability to reuse.

Watching :-)
    Liad.Services

Activity: 238

View Profile
    November 07, 2016, 09:42:18 AM

Great innovation here ! Good to see something a little different from the rounds with holos or paperwallets

I will wait for a few more folks to give their opinions once they have recieved them, before I order one. But I like it.

I would love to see some evolution of this concept into a 'reusable' product. Similar level of protection against the elements, but that you dont have to destroy to access the funds .... if that is possible. Potentially ship with spare rings to DIY the BIP38 encrypted Secret Key (ie self engrave) for the next use. Appreciate that would be a big ask ! Potentially compromise a little on the level of protection available, for the ability to reuse.

Watching :-)
    It looks pretty cool.
    I think that you have sold a pretty big problem for the bitcoin community hear.
    I think you should upload a Fire test as well ,what is the max temperature that the capsule can survive at?

Also are you open to reservations? or it is still a pre anouncment?.

Are you accepting a custom capsule order? Like a specific size and color?
    Thanks.
    Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
      Print  

Jump to: