Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:30:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transactions without fees being delayed for ages  (Read 1496 times)
Kumala (OP)

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 12:40:33 PM

Since about 2 days transactions without fees are getting delayed, sometime up to several hours. This hasn't happened before. Anyone know what's going on?  Any new big miner who requires fees or too many transactions on the network?

Hacked Account! Don't send any money.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mpfrank

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

Cosmic Cubist

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 12:46:08 PM

Since about 2 days transactions without fees are getting delayed, sometime up to several hours. This hasn't happened before. Anyone know what's going on?  Any new big miner who requires fees or too many transactions on the network?

I have had problems with my last 3 transactions getting confirmed even with 0.001 fees.  It's possible that some big miners have started rejecting transactions with small fees, so those transactions are no longer getting incorporated into blocks.

If all the sovereign non-cryptocurrencies will eventually collapse from hyperinflation, you can't afford *not* to invest in Bitcoin...  See my blog at http://minetopics.blogspot.com/ .

Donations accepted at:  17twYNyqTiCTM2gJmumkytvhZh4sCVSKNH
mpfrank

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

Cosmic Cubist

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 12:52:53 PM

Also the rate of transactions seems rather high right now (judging from number of bubbles at http://www.listentobitcoin.com/, so it's possible there's some kind of network congestion...  My transactions seem not to be propagating to very many nodes.

If all the sovereign non-cryptocurrencies will eventually collapse from hyperinflation, you can't afford *not* to invest in Bitcoin...  See my blog at http://minetopics.blogspot.com/ .

Donations accepted at:  17twYNyqTiCTM2gJmumkytvhZh4sCVSKNH
btcLeger

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:07:43 PM

The reason seems to be the thounds of satoshidice transactions each day. Most of them are small amounts and require a fee. Transactions with fees are often preferred by those who find a new block to be included in the blockchain so the transactions without fees have to wait... Seems to be a kind of a bottleneck of bitcoin...

I use TradeHill instant BTC trading: http://www.tradehill.com/?r=TH-R11320

donations: 12BdMNcn7VQitFGMhtRojvwXbrX3Jcs9U6
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:39:11 PM

Simple solution, pay the transaction fee, and stop expecting a free ride.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Trader Steve

Activity: 836
Merit: 1007

"How do you eat an elephant? One bit at a time..."

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 03:06:33 PM

Is there an easy way to reverse an uncomfirmed transaction and resubmit it for a fee?
theowalpott

Activity: 80

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 11:54:48 PM

I've got a 0 fee 0/confirmation transaction stuck atm.. didn't even mean to send it for zero fee, but it tried to charge me 0.02 to send about 1BTC which I thought was ridiculous so I went to manually set it lower and accidently sent for zero. I tried importing the key to a new wallet and putting a small tx fee to fix it, but it's still stuck Sad

My problem is that it's an address with a lot of small inputs, so it's about a 2kb transaction to send it which is what caused the 0.02 fee in the first place. Really fucking stupid.. I'm not paying a 2% fee to send something, if I wanted to do that, I'd use paypal.

1FwGATm6eU5dSiTp2rpazV5u3qwbx1fuDn
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:20:46 AM

I've got a 0 fee 0/confirmation transaction stuck atm.. didn't even mean to send it for zero fee, but it tried to charge me 0.02 to send about 1BTC which I thought was ridiculous so I went to manually set it lower and accidently sent for zero. I tried importing the key to a new wallet and putting a small tx fee to fix it, but it's still stuck Sad

My problem is that it's an address with a lot of small inputs, so it's about a 2kb transaction to send it which is what caused the 0.02 fee in the first place. Really fucking stupid.. I'm not paying a 2% fee to send something, if I wanted to do that, I'd use paypal.

Well it comes down to sustaining an economy.  Of course most miners currently care about the subsidy but the future bitcoin growth will only occur through fees.m.

If you want to avoid your problem, make 2 wallets.  Use an online wallet to collect the little crap (so there's little risk if you lose it) and keep your big transactions on your own system.
Stn

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:16:06 AM

Here is the result of my research I did in the similar topic https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=165688.msg1737612

- Yesterday it was abnormal activity in the network and each broadcasting took much longer then usually. Some transactions even were rejected (had to be re-submitted).

- Free transaction has more chances to fail, but those with fee may fail too.

- "Official" wallet broadcasts asynchronously (i.e. accepts your transaction any way and then handles it quietly). If from the first attempt it didn't broadcast then transaction will sit there for hell long before re-attempt. God sake why so?

- There is no straight ahead option to remove or push failed transactions. Though seems "pywallet" allows to pull out those transaction out of the wallet and therefore submit again.

- "-rescan" argument helped to push all those transactions.

- Synchronous wallet (Electrum in my case) is better in this way. It broadcasts right in front of your eyes, reports failure and does not put transaction into the queue. You can just re-submit.
theowalpott

Activity: 80

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 12:17:04 PM

Well it comes down to sustaining an economy.  Of course most miners currently care about the subsidy but the future bitcoin growth will only occur through fees.m.

If you want to avoid your problem, make 2 wallets.  Use an online wallet to collect the little crap (so there's little risk if you lose it) and keep your big transactions on your own system.

I understand why fees are there, but if you watch the blockchain, there are sometimes blocks going through with only 1 or 2 transactions, or far under the blocksize limit - if a miner's block isn't even close to full then why should people pay a fee?

Like you say, currently it's all about the 25btc reward, and it'll continue to be about that reward until it's dropped into single digits tbh.

1FwGATm6eU5dSiTp2rpazV5u3qwbx1fuDn
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: