Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:39:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: iMac's any good for mining (radon 9600) ?  (Read 2198 times)
bowser2k (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:54:21 AM

I know the newbie forum might not be the best one to look for information but I might as well post here so others can maybe read the responses and get a bit of info themselves.

Basically I just joined when I hear about bitcoin and I hope to put my Imac to a bit of use when I'm not video editing.
It's got a ati radon 9600 pro which is pretty top end so anybody know what sort of $day it will make.

I just found the hardware comparison list in the newbie list and it don't seem to be mentioned there Huh Huh

I also have a MacBook Pro with NVIDIA GeForce 320M.Would this be any use mining or would I be best just using my desktop.

Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 02:04:30 AM

I used nVidia GeForce GTS 360M and it's actually not worth the cost<>gain.

bowser2k (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 02:06:09 AM

Thanks nothing.

It's weird how I cant find any info on the 9600, I'll try adn search some more and  update here
bowser2k (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 02:09:47 AM

Hmm Just did a search and found this thread.

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=13211.0

Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence if someone says theirs blew up Undecided Undecided
aspokia

Activity: 18

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 02:18:15 AM

iMac's barely have any airflow, so my guess is that it will overheat like this guys did. I have a macbook pro 17 inch, and if I run the miner (Diablominer) it overheats in 12-50 minutes (depending on room temp). I would strongly recommend keeping a careful eye on your laptop if your going to mine on it. Honestly, for the amount that Macs put out, its not worth the risk to your investment in my opinion.
bowser2k (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 02:21:42 AM

ahh, that kind of sucks,

I put a good bit of money into it to start my own video production and editing business and I'm not really in a position to buy new hardware at the minute.
stordoff

Activity: 41

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 02:42:00 AM

Are you sure it's a 9600 Pro? That card is about 7-8 years old, and impossible to mine with.
danw635

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 02:48:42 AM

Look at this for info on Mining Hardware

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison
tokn

Activity: 21

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 03:01:37 AM

Are you sure it's a 9600 Pro? That card is about 7-8 years old, and impossible to mine with.

Was about to say the same thing...

If you put money into a video production company I would imagine you need better hardware than a 9600...there are probably $50 cards that would run circles around a 9600, although its mac, so I don't really know if you could even upgrade it.
AreYouCereal

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:33:07 PM

Cant tell you about the Imac but don't bother using your macbook for mining.
It's probably going to cost you more in electricity than you will make in BTC.

On the other hand if you are looking for another one I'm selling mine to invest in BTC in the marketplace.
Sorry for the shameless plug  Smiley

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [D]ecentralized application [E]liminated third parties [C]ontent distribution
  █ DECENT FOUNDATION    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░   JOIN NOW! ICO ⏰ 10th of September
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [E]ncrypted & secure         [N]o borders                  [T]imeless reputation
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: