Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:46:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running Electrum through the WINDOWS command prompt  (Read 1287 times)
hamdi369 (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2016, 06:43:19 AM

HI

I know this question was certainly still submitted but I can't find simply and clearly how to set up Electrum to be controlable through the Windows command prompt?

thank you for your help and answer

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 1560

View Profile
October 25, 2016, 02:56:28 PM

run `electrum help` to see the command line options.
hamdi369 (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2016, 07:38:19 PM

thank you for your reply, but I have a "electrum is not a command ...." response
I am in electrum directory
is there no step by step tutorial for explain how to  set it?

I search everywhere but don't find it...
MadGamer
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1031

View Profile
October 25, 2016, 07:55:53 PM

According to this post from 2013 It seems like Electrum had Command lines available for Windows but got disabled after sometime so It's only available for Mac & Linux right now. Just to make sure , I tried too and It didn't work either.
Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 11:36:35 AM

According to this post from 2013 It seems like Electrum had Command lines available for Windows but got disabled after sometime so It's only available for Mac & Linux right now. Just to make sure , I tried too and It didn't work either.

that is an old thread so i don't think its relevant today.

try "electrum.exe help" just in case that does it.

altcoinhosting

Activity: 896
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 11:45:49 AM

thank you for your reply, but I have a "electrum is not a command ...." response
I am in electrum directory
is there no step by step tutorial for explain how to  set it?

I search everywhere but don't find it...

the electrum program folder isn't in your path... This basically means you have to open a command prompt and go to the correct folder where electrum.exe is located, only then you can execute the command (or maybe the electrum binary isn't electrum.exe but electrum-2.x.x.exe... In this case you need to execute electrum-2.x.x instead of electrum).
Since i use the portable version, i don't know where this folder is located, but it's probably something like c:\program files\electrum\

The point is moot tough... Like many have already suggested, it seems like cli arguments were removed, i just tried some of the arguments i found here; http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/cmdline.html on electrum 2.7.8 portable on windows 7, and nothing happened. I could try this on my linux distro when i get home in case somebody is interested.

MadGamer
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 11:48:34 AM

I tried that (my wallet has the version in the name) and It didn't work , I also tried to launch it from the path like this ‪C:\Users\admin\Desktop\electrum-2.5.4.exe help and It didn't work either , have you tried it your self at least?
Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 05:35:53 PM

I tried that (my wallet has the version in the name) and It didn't work , I also tried to launch it from the path like this ‪C:\Users\admin\Desktop\electrum-2.5.4.exe help and It didn't work either , have you tried it your self at least?

No I haven't tried it since I don't use Windows myself. Sorry if I led you on a wild goose chase. That was not my intention. I just found it difficult to believe that there would be a CLI on linux and mac versions and not on the far more widely used Windows version.

BTW wouldn't the electrum .exe file be somewhere in program files? that is where programs are installed in Windows right? Also 2.5.4 is very old. You should install the latest 2.7.11 version.

MadGamer
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2016, 10:28:46 AM

No I haven't tried it since I don't use Windows myself. Sorry if I led you on a wild goose chase. That was not my intention. I just found it difficult to believe that there would be a CLI on linux and mac versions and not on the far more widely used Windows version.

BTW wouldn't the electrum .exe file be somewhere in program files? that is where programs are installed in Windows right? Also 2.5.4 is very old. You should install the latest 2.7.11 version.

It's not in program files because I took the Standalone version and not the Windows installer , so I only have the executable (of 25 MB) on my Desktop and the other files (generated by the executable) on the AppData folder and yes the program files is where  the programs should be. I didn't upgrade because I was afraid I screw things up as I'm not sure how to upgrade without using the seed (If that's even possible)
Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2016, 03:12:40 PM

It's not in program files because I took the Standalone version and not the Windows installer , so I only have the executable (of 25 MB) on my Desktop and the other files (generated by the executable) on the AppData folder and yes the program files is where  the programs should be. I didn't upgrade because I was afraid I screw things up as I'm not sure how to upgrade without using the seed (If that's even possible)

first write the seed down just in case. then download the latest windows installer version from electrum.org and run it. the new version will pick up your wallet just fine and you won't need to restore anything from seed.

then try `electrum.exe help`.
Coding Enthusiast
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 2783

Bitcoin and C♯ Enthusiast

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2016, 03:26:44 PM

This may not be so relevant to your questions but there is a Console tab when you open Electrum where you can type in commands such as help() which brings up the list of all commands you can use:

List of commands: check_seed, contacts, create, createmultisig, createrawtransaction, decoderawtransaction, decrypt, deseed, dumpprivkeys, encrypt, freeze, getaddressbalance, getaddresshistory, getaddressunspent, getbalance, getconfig, getmpk, getprivatekeys, getproof, getpubkeys, getrawtransaction, getseed, getservers, getutxoaddress, getversion, help, history, importprivkey, ismine, listaddresses, listunspent, make_seed, mksendmanytx, mktx, password, payto, paytomany, restore, searchcontacts, sendrawtransaction, setconfig, setlabel, signmessage, signtxwithkey, signtxwithwallet, sweep, unfreeze, validateaddress, verifymessage

and then you can use each of these inside that Console.

Projects List+Suggestion box
Donate: 1Q9s or bc1q
|
|
|
FinderOuter(0.19.1)Ann-git
Denovo(0.7.0)Ann-git
Bitcoin.Net(0.26.0)Ann-git
|
|
|
BitcoinTransactionTool(0.11.0)Ann-git
WatchOnlyBitcoinWallet(3.2.1)Ann-git
SharpPusher(0.12.0)Ann-git
MadGamer
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2016, 02:59:14 PM

first write the seed down just in case. then download the latest windows installer version from electrum.org and run it. the new version will pick up your wallet just fine and you won't need to restore anything from seed.

I couldn't do that until now so sorry for the delay in the answer. I tried what you mentioned and It's still not working , I will contact Thomas and see If he could help me out.

This may not be so relevant to your questions but there is a Console tab when you open Electrum where you can type in commands such as help() which brings up the list of all commands you can use:

List of commands: check_seed, contacts, create, createmultisig, createrawtransaction, decoderawtransaction, decrypt, deseed, dumpprivkeys, encrypt, freeze, getaddressbalance, getaddresshistory, getaddressunspent, getbalance, getconfig, getmpk, getprivatekeys, getproof, getpubkeys, getrawtransaction, getseed, getservers, getutxoaddress, getversion, help, history, importprivkey, ismine, listaddresses, listunspent, make_seed, mksendmanytx, mktx, password, payto, paytomany, restore, searchcontacts, sendrawtransaction, setconfig, setlabel, signmessage, signtxwithkey, signtxwithwallet, sweep, unfreeze, validateaddress, verifymessage

I tried that as well but I'm getting SyntaxError: invalid syntax each time I write something on the console tab . (I tried different combinations like I did with command lines)

altcoinhosting

Activity: 896
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 31, 2016, 08:20:29 AM

I couldn't do that until now so sorry for the delay in the answer. I tried what you mentioned and It's still not working , I will contact Thomas and see If he could help me out.

I tried that as well but I'm getting SyntaxError: invalid syntax each time I write something on the console tab . (I tried different combinations like I did with command lines)

The syntax error is pretty trivial... Don't try to  execute "listunspent". Execute "listunspent()" instead Wink

MadGamer
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2016, 10:10:37 AM

The syntax error is pretty trivial... Don't try to  execute "listunspent". Execute "listunspent()" instead Wink

That's not valid for all commands , If I type "listaddresses" without the () I get this error 'listaddresses' is a function. Type 'listaddresses()' to use it in the Python console. but when I type help with or without the () , It's not working at all and gives me
Traceback (most recent call last): NameError: name 'help' is not defined , If I write "electrum" before it then It gives me syntax error
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: