Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:49:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2016-10-26] Hacker Accused Of Attacks On BitMarket.eu, Dropbox & LinkedIn  (Read 317 times)
Nina Lyon (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2016, 03:53:31 PM

Czech police have arrested a hacker who may be involved in the attack on BitMarket.eu.

On October 5, 2016, police in Prague, Czech Republic, arrested Yevgeniy Nikulin, a Russian hacker who is accused of cyber attacks on Dropbox, LinkedIn and Formspring in 2012. Now police have found evidence that Nikulin may have stolen around $400,000 from BitMarket.eu.

Read more: https://coinidol.com/russian-hacker-accused-of-attacks-on-bitmarket-dropbox-linkedin/

CoinIdol.com - Media Outlet

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 04:18:05 PM

The now defunct BitMarket.eu was one of the first Bitcoin exchanges. Compared to today's trading volumes, it was very small. I was not aware that this exchange was also the target of a successful hack (I wasn't a customer of BitMarket.eu). From what I remember the exchange didn't store Bitcoin itself, but merely connected seller with buyers - but maybe my memory is deceiving me. It would be interesting to know if the sum of $400K is the worth of Bitcoin stolen at today's valuation or if it is based on the valuation at the time of the hack.

Edit: After reading the article again it seems clear that the amount of $400K is based on Bitcoin's valuation at the time of the hack. So today's worth in USD is significantly higher.

Given the circumstances of the arrest, it seems clear that the guy was arrested for his other hacks and that the discovery of his involvement in the BitMarket.eu hack is merely a coincidence.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 04:29:00 PM

The now defunct BitMarket.eu was one of the first Bitcoin exchanges. Compared to today's trading volumes, it was very small. I was not aware that this exchange was also the target of a successful hack (I wasn't a customer of BitMarket.eu). From what I remember the exchange didn't store Bitcoin itself, but merely connected seller with buyers - but maybe my memory is deceiving me. It would be interesting to know if the sum of $400K is the worth of Bitcoin stolen at today's valuation or if it is based on the valuation at the time of the hack.

Edit: After reading the article again it seems clear that the amount of $400K is based on Bitcoin's valuation at the time of the hack. So today's worth in USD is significantly higher.

Given the circumstances of the arrest, it seems clear that the guy was arrested for his other hacks and that the discovery of his involvement in the BitMarket.eu hack is merely a coincidence.

ya.ya.yo!

18,800 bitcoins stolen in 2012 and then 620 in Feb 2013.  So, 19420 (they claim were hacked) * $668/btc (as of now) is almost $13,000,000.  So you are correct, it was the valuation at the time of the hacks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: