Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:22:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multibit HD and SegWit ?  (Read 1259 times)
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6099

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 07:04:31 PM

I was just reading an article on Cointelegraph where It says that Electrum is going to release a new version by Xmas and It should support SegWit : https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin-platform-electrum-next-release-to-support-segwit-apple-debut-in-view and I was wondering what are the plans for Multibit HD ? (I don't mean to advertise Electrum is any manner , If you feel like I'm advertising then feel free to let me know and I will close this topic).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 03:14:27 PM

segwit should work on old clients anyway as obviously not everyone will upgrade in a timely fashion
even now there are people still using ancient clients and that even includes miners .......

also the bitcoin unlimted client may not need segwit if theyre already on larger blocks
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 03:56:35 PM

segwit should work on old clients anyway as obviously not everyone will upgrade in a timely fashion
even now there are people still using ancient clients and that even includes miners .......

also the bitcoin unlimted client may not need segwit if theyre already on larger blocks

It can't start working automatically without doing the coding for it otherwise Electrum tweet wouldn't make much sense. As for Bitcoin unlimited , I don't understand how is it related to Bitcoin ? I thought It's considered as an Altcoin around here

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
CoinCidental
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2016, 01:40:52 AM

It can't start working automatically without doing the coding for it otherwise Electrum tweet wouldn't make much sense. As for Bitcoin unlimited , I don't understand how is it related to Bitcoin ? I thought It's considered as an Altcoin around here

It isn't an altcoin if it uses the same blockchain, same client  without a restriction on the blocksize
At the moment BU contribute  between 5 and 10% of the global btc hash rate..... You can see the charts if you Google for them
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2016, 04:44:52 PM

-snip-
It isn't an altcoin if it uses the same blockchain, same client  without a restriction on the blocksize
At the moment BU contribute  between 5 and 10% of the global btc hash rate..... You can see the charts if you Google for them

This is not about BU. Either SegWit is activated or not. If its activated wallets must have code to handle the new SegWit transactions.

-snip-
It can't start working automatically without doing the coding for it otherwise Electrum tweet wouldn't make much sense.
-snip-

Judging from this tweet[1] MultiBit HD is either already SegWit ready or at least they are working on it. As you can see from the date its been a while since KeepKey bought the wallet.

[1] https://twitter.com/delrayman/status/735531413005598721

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
bomberb17

Activity: 771
Merit: 528

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 06:29:08 AM

What about Multibit classic? If SegWit kicks in, will my bitcoins be available or I will have to move to another wallet?
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 06:57:04 AM

What about Multibit classic? If SegWit kicks in, will my bitcoins be available or I will have to move to another wallet?

Multibit classic is no longer supported and If you check the repository , you will see that there was no commits (modification in the source code) since 2015 : https://github.com/keepkey/multibit and If you check Bitcoincore SegWit adoption , you will see that It's not even listed there : https://bitcoincore.org/en/segwit_adoption/ so I suppose you will have to change your wallet once SegWit kicks in. But no worries , as long as you have your private keys , you should be fine.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
bomberb17

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 08:25:11 AM

Multibit classic is no longer supported and If you check the repository , you will see that there was no commits (modification in the source code) since 2015 : https://github.com/keepkey/multibit and If you check Bitcoincore SegWit adoption , you will see that It's not even listed there : https://bitcoincore.org/en/segwit_adoption/ so I suppose you will have to change your wallet once SegWit kicks in. But no worries , as long as you have your private keys , you should be fine.

I understand, however I would prefer to stay on Multibit classic if possible. I see that 0.5.18 release came out on September
https://multibit.org/releases/multibit-classic/multibit-0.5.18/
so maybe an updated version for Segwit comes out?
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 08:31:20 AM

I understand, however I would prefer to stay on Multibit classic if possible. I see that 0.5.18 release came out on September
https://multibit.org/releases/multibit-classic/multibit-0.5.18/
so maybe an updated version for Segwit comes out?

Github is probably the best place to know when the version was actually released : https://github.com/keepkey/multibit/releases and as you can see , It got released last year and once again Multibit Classic development is no longer supported.

as for the URL you posted , It's probably the day when It uploaded to the website and not the release date as If you change the version in the URL , you will see the same date and hour .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
bomberb17

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 05:39:16 PM

Understood that classic is no longer supported. But since I keep the whole multibit folder offline (on a USB thumb drive) I should be safe, correct?
CoinCidental
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2016, 03:27:06 AM

Understood that classic is no longer supported. But since I keep the whole multibit folder offline (on a USB thumb drive) I should be safe, correct?

USB drives are notoriously unreliable over time, you should be careful if you have a non trivial amount of bitcoins
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2016, 01:27:19 PM

If that Multibit folder contains the wallet file (which contains the private keys) then yes you should be fine and you can upgrade later to Multibit HD.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████