Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:02:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Router recommedations for home mining  (Read 1879 times)
elokk (OP)

Activity: 723
Merit: 519

View Profile
November 11, 2016, 02:49:08 AM
Last edit: November 11, 2016, 03:24:39 AM by elokk

Looking for recommendations for a wifi router that will work well with home mining.

I am currently using an outdated dlink router which does not like when I try to watch netflix and running miners all at the same time

EDIT: miners are run off ethernet cable, wifi is is used for all other devices on the network

t.me/bitcoinasic

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
November 11, 2016, 03:15:08 AM
Last edit: November 12, 2016, 04:47:09 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

Short and quick answer:
Even by itself, WiFi is bad idea for mining as the connection is rather variable. Alwayss use hardwire connections.

Throw in media streaming over the same WiFi connection and forget it. Aside from the really latest/greatest and $$ WiFi bandwidth sux plus, to use the latest WiFi standards both ends of the connection have to support them.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
elokk (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2016, 03:21:49 AM

My mining equipment is connected to the router via ethernet but the same router is also used for wifi

t.me/bitcoinasic
Finksy
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 11, 2016, 03:33:04 AM

Ever since I went with enterprise grade networking equipment, I have never looked back.  Ubiquiti stuff works good for me, way more reliable vs consumer routers, separated wifi (via access point) from router, etc.  And the difference in price isn't even that much, especially considering it won't crap out in a couple years, or become out-dated.  I'll never go back.

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 
elokk (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2016, 03:54:56 AM

Ever since I went with enterprise grade networking equipment, I have never looked back.  Ubiquiti stuff works good for me, way more reliable vs consumer routers, separated wifi (via access point) from router, etc.  And the difference in price isn't even that much, especially considering it won't crap out in a couple years, or become out-dated.  I'll never go back.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am going to try out the Ubiquti AirRouter

t.me/bitcoinasic
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
November 11, 2016, 09:07:49 AM

you can try making a Pfsense box

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 12, 2016, 12:05:27 AM

My long-time "router" for my mining (and everything else) was an old AMD K6-450 based Slackware LINUX box - which had more CPU horsepower than a lot of the current router "appliances".

Currently use a Netgear "Blue Box" appliance unit - I've had VERY good results with Netgear professional line equipment over the years, NEVER had one die in less than 15 years of usage (and some over 20 STILL RUNNING).

I don't do wifi - PERIOD. Security is a joke, reliability is poor, speed isn't really an issue but wifi is still trying to catch up with Gigabit Ethernet that's 15+ years old, dropped packets are a way of life which causes issues, etc ad nausium.
 IMO wifi is just junk that should only be used when you need a net connection to gear that *MUST BE PORTABLE*.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
November 12, 2016, 01:59:09 AM
Last edit: November 21, 2016, 10:37:32 PM by leowonderful

Hard connection is a must for miners. Otherwise you get dropped packets, missed shares, stale shares and even stale and bad blocks mined if you hit one. Wifi just isn't reliable as it's a half duplex connection that can only send data one way at a time, where ethernet and hard connections are full duplex and two way data transfer can be done.

You can run miners on wifi still, however, at low speeds and not get reductions in shares too much as long as range is good.
bl1nd

Activity: 53
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 12, 2016, 05:08:08 PM

Ether over powerline is the best thing for mining just plug 1 adapter near your router and 1 adapter near your miners VOILA
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
November 12, 2016, 05:12:18 PM

Looking for recommendations for a wifi router that will work well with home mining.

I am currently using an outdated dlink router which does not like when I try to watch netflix and running miners all at the same time

EDIT: miners are run off ethernet cable, wifi is is used for all other devices on the network

I'm not sure the router you need really matters very much. If the miner is quick, it has been said here that the miners use a maximum of 1mb/s.
This being said, you'd need requirements for:
• 1mb/s per miner
• ~10-20mb/s for each device you wish to stream from using other content.

It is probably helpful to get two routers and two internet cables, or to try to combine the miners in any way you can (like the way you can join 3 antminers of the same type to one control computer).
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3508

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
November 20, 2016, 08:48:54 PM

• 1mb/s per miner

1 mbit/s?? negative.

last i checked on my ubuntu box my two gpu zec miner running claymore (statum) used like 20k/sec.

even getwork is nowhere near that.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 03:21:54 AM

More like 1 MByte / HOUR at most even for larger ASIC rigs.

My entire farm was using less than 100 MB / DAY back when I was on a metered Sat connection (which I strongly recommend against, the high latancy was hard on stale shares, but the options I had at that location were ALL bad). 5 A2 Terminators, 5 S5 and a SP20, and some GPU rigs doing various stuff at the time.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 03:47:00 AM

I run a 100KW datacenter off a custom pfsense box on a 3mbit synchronous line, and can stream netflix through it just fine.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 10:34:40 PM

• 1mb/s per miner

1 mbit/s?? negative.

last i checked on my ubuntu box my two gpu zec miner running claymore (statum) used like 20k/sec.

For a faster connection and a way to limit any latency then  I'd say it's probaly useful to get something at that speed. They're not exactly scarce in production. He said he wanted to do other things with the router other than host miners so 1mb/s is probably quite good to use for a faster speed per miner and to allow for extra for other devices.
I didn't realise that mining used so little bandwith as it's not something I constantly monitor.
leowonderful
Legendary

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 10:36:52 PM

• 1mb/s per miner

1 mbit/s?? negative.

For a faster connection and a way to limit any latency then  I'd say it's probaly useful to get something at that speed. They're not exactly scarce in production. He said he wanted to do other things with the router other than host miners so 1mb/s is probably quite good to use for a faster speed per miner and to allow for extra for other devices.
I didn't realise that mining used so little bandwith as it's not something I constantly monitor.
I run my entire rig of 3S5s and 1S3 as well as a variety of small stickminers controlled by a Pi on just 1,5Mbps wifi, and nothing too bad happens. Latency isn't much of an issue for me, I rarely get missed shares even though I sometimes bump it up to 5mbps randomly just to be sure. Bandwidth really is the least of your worries in mining. Just make sure range is not too far or you might face issues.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 10:47:01 PM

• 1mb/s per miner

1 mbit/s?? negative.

For a faster connection and a way to limit any latency then  I'd say it's probaly useful to get something at that speed. They're not exactly scarce in production. He said he wanted to do other things with the router other than host miners so 1mb/s is probably quite good to use for a faster speed per miner and to allow for extra for other devices.
I run my entire rig of 3S5s and 1S3 as well as a variety of small stickminers controlled by a Pi on just 1,5Mbps wifi, and nothing too bad happens. Latency isn't much of an issue for me, I rarely get missed shares even though I sometimes bump it up to 5mbps randomly just to be sure. Bandwidth really is the least of your worries in mining. Just make sure range is not too far or you might face issues.

That's good to note. Do you do anything as well as mining on that router or is that connection merely for mining? The range will definitely solve as an issue as it's too far away.
Also, is the internet speed you need for mining greater if solo mining than it is if using a mining pool?
BigFun

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2016, 01:18:47 AM

I run a 100KW datacenter off a custom pfsense box on a 3mbit synchronous line, and can stream netflix through it just fine.

Agreed, I run two S9s and two S7s on a satlink as that is my only internet connection option.  It's not ideal but works just fine with invalid shares at worst less than .2%
leowonderful
Legendary

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
November 22, 2016, 09:26:16 PM

• 1mb/s per miner

1 mbit/s?? negative.

That's good to note. Do you do anything as well as mining on that router or is that connection merely for mining? The range will definitely solve as an issue as it's too far away.
Also, is the internet speed you need for mining greater if solo mining than it is if using a mining pool?
I have 100Mbps internet, and I have those miners hooked up to a repeater that is limited to however much wifi bandwidth I allow to pass through on it. It's all I use on that repeater. I suspect solo will have slightly higher bandwidth requirements, but that should still be negligible. You could try dial-up if you only have a few miners, but latency could be an issue.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: