Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:47:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best wallet for a Raspberry Pi  (Read 1241 times)
FxR (OP)

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

Take back what's yours

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 09:00:50 PM

Hey guys,

I'm getting my Raspberry Pi 3B tomorrow and I was wondering which wallet is best suited for this lightweight and simple machine.
Obviously it has to run a client like Electrum or Multibit, but I'm not entirely sure if these do run on it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Peace

<3

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 22, 2016, 05:04:31 PM

Raspberries can handle pretty much any wallet you can compile to ARM. The wallet you'll use will depend on the usage you're looking for. Either way Electrum and Armory are very good options.
FxR (OP)

Take back what's yours

View Profile
November 22, 2016, 07:28:35 PM

Raspberries can handle pretty much any wallet you can compile to ARM. The wallet you'll use will depend on the usage you're looking for. Either way Electrum and Armory are very good options.

Decided to install Electrum on it as I'm not looking for a full node on this thing.
Thanks for the advice anyways.

<3
0xfff

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 11:58:56 PM

Decided to install Electrum on it as I'm not looking for a full node on this thing.

You made a good choice. Electrum is a great client. I have been using it for awhile and I am very happy with it. I've never used a rasberry pi before with it though. Does it work well?
FxR (OP)

Take back what's yours

View Profile
November 24, 2016, 01:37:41 PM

You made a good choice. Electrum is a great client. I have been using it for awhile and I am very happy with it. I've never used a rasberry pi before with it though. Does it work well?

It works decent, obviously my Macbook Pro is much faster in comparison. But you shouldn't run into any problems while using it and it's certainly safer than a normal computer.

<3
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2016, 01:38:07 PM

it's certainly safer than a normal computer.

Why? There isn't anything special with a Raspberry comparing it to another computer, being it whatever size or architecture. A Raspberry is as safe as any other computer, which means it is as safe as its owner wants it to be.
FxR (OP)

Take back what's yours

View Profile
November 25, 2016, 09:05:13 PM

Why? There isn't anything special with a Raspberry comparing it to another computer, being it whatever size or architecture. A Raspberry is as safe as any other computer, which means it is as safe as its owner wants it to be.

I agree with you 100%. But I'm comparing the Raspberry Pi to another dedicated machine for Bitcoin (which is often secured just for that purpose).

It's certainly safer if you just use it for BTC in comparison with having a wallet on a PC (or Mac in my case) you use daily.
But, once again, it depends on how safe the user wants it to be.

<3
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2016, 01:28:28 PM

I agree with you 100%. But I'm comparing the Raspberry Pi to another dedicated machine for Bitcoin (which is often secured just for that purpose).

It's certainly safer if you just use it for BTC in comparison with having a wallet on a PC (or Mac in my case) you use daily.

That being said, yes, hardware wallets such as Trezor are probably more safe than a computer Smiley
FxR (OP)

Take back what's yours

View Profile
November 29, 2016, 08:42:36 PM

That being said, yes, hardware wallets such as Trezor are probably more safe than a computer Smiley

Something is only as safe as the owner wants it to be. Trezor could be stolen, Bitcoins could be hacked, nothing is 100% secure. Although, Trezor, KeepKey and other hardware wallets are your best option thus far (except maybe a paper wallet).

<3
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: