Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:17:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you continue to use Mt. Gox after today?
Hell Yes! I love the gambling element lag brings to the trading game!
Yes, after I give them some time to work out the kinks.
No, we need more competition amongst exchanges.
Hell No! I was Goxed one too many times!
I want to vote for Pedro!... I hate answering polls.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will you continue to use Mt. Gox after today?  (Read 3706 times)
Missionary

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 01:38:51 AM

I prefer Bitstamp, but I don't know if they have the server capacity to handle a horde of goxxed traders looking for better trading grounds. They sure could use the volume, but at a sustainable rate.

I am an evangelical missionary heading to China. Donations are welcome here (dedicated wallet): 1H8iswayfTaRb6oe2WjMCRmchBJHYyfx9z
You can find more information about my plans here: http://btcmission.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 01:39:35 AM

I would switch to BTC-E if I could transfer without a loss, but the rate disparity doesn't appeal to me for a BTC transfer. Mt Gox needs to get their ducks is a row.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
BitcoinTate (OP)

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 01:42:53 AM

I would switch to BTC-E if I could transfer without a loss, but the rate disparity doesn't appeal to me for a BTC transfer. Mt Gox needs to get their ducks is a row.
BTC-E is always in last place. I have been hearing good things about Bitfloor recently. Anyone have first had experience?

- aka The "DigiMan"
Razick
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 01:43:17 AM

Lost quite a bit of money due to the lag today - inability to cancel orders led to them being filled instead of canceled so I could readjust. An active system requires the ability to respond to changing conditions immediately but a 4 minute lag means your order is going to screw you over Sad

And m.mtgox.com is a bloody joke.  Good luck if it keeps you logged in for more than 8 seconds.

Yea, and somehow it keeps submitting duplicate orders, although some of that is my fault for re-submitting when Gox doesn't acknowledge an offer. The cancellation delay is inexcusable though.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
BitcoinTate (OP)

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 01:45:10 AM

Lost quite a bit of money due to the lag today - inability to cancel orders led to them being filled instead of canceled so I could readjust. An active system requires the ability to respond to changing conditions immediately but a 4 minute lag means your order is going to screw you over Sad

And m.mtgox.com is a bloody joke.  Good luck if it keeps you logged in for more than 8 seconds.

Yea, and somehow it keeps submitting duplicate orders, although some of that is my fault for re-submitting when Gox doesn't acknowledge an offer. The cancellation delay is inexcusable though.
I had the same thing happen to me during the flash crash back in the 40's. Couldn't cancel my market order and ended up selling at the absolute bottom. Learned my lesson.

- aka The "DigiMan"
Razick
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 01:48:50 AM

BTC-E is always in last place. I have been hearing good things about Bitfloor recently. Anyone have first had experience?

I'm about to transfer my funds and try it out. Looks good.

randrace

Activity: 329
Merit: 250

LTC -> BTC -> Silver!

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 02:01:15 AM

What's the option if you stopped using them prior to this?
I use Coinbase and Bitfloor. Coinbase is not ideal for trading and often out of coins. It's not good for day trading, but could be convenient for long term buys.

Most of my buying and selling is done on Bitfloor, which I've grown to love.
salfter

Activity: 651
Merit: 501

My PGP Key: 92C7689C

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 02:04:47 AM

I initially signed up with BTC-e to exchange mined Litecoin for Bitcoin. Their BTC0.01 withdrawal fee was way out of line, though...and that was before the recent run-up. I've ended up using Bitparking for that purpose.

As for trading between $ and BTC, MtGox has been mostly OK. There was a bit of annoyance on Dwolla's part this week when I wanted to send to MtGox for a purchase (they wanted ID), but that should be a one-time thing.

OTOH, between buying BTC last night and submitting an order for some silver today, there was enough increase in value to cover shipping and still leave me with some change.  Cool Maybe I'll try letting it double next time so I can get a 2-for-1.  Grin

I've created an account at CampBX and have started fooling a bit with IRC to use #bitcoin-otc, but have done nothing much with either of those yet.

Tipjars: BTC 1TipsGocnz2N5qgAm9f7JLrsMqkb3oXe2 LTC LTipsVC7XaFy9M6Zaf1aGGe8w8xVUeWFvR | My Bitcoin Note Generator | Pool Auto-Switchers: zpool MiningPoolHub NiceHash
Bitgem Resources: Pool Explorer Paper Wallet
BitcoinTate (OP)

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 02:05:47 AM

What's the option if you stopped using them prior to this?
I use Coinbase and Bitfloor. Coinbase is not ideal for trading and often out of coins. It's not good for day trading, but could be convenient for long term buys.

Most of my buying and selling is done on Bitfloor, which I've grown to love.
Your the 5th person I have seen talk about Bitfloor in a positive manner. I haven't seen anyone post about Bitstamp. Guess I will be checking out Bitfloor soon.

- aka The "DigiMan"
BitcoinTate (OP)

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 02:07:23 AM

I initially signed up with BTC-e to exchange mined Litecoin for Bitcoin. Their BTC0.01 withdrawal fee was way out of line, though...and that was before the recent run-up. I've ended up using Bitparking for that purpose.

As for trading between $ and BTC, MtGox has been mostly OK. There was a bit of annoyance on Dwolla's part this week when I wanted to send to MtGox for a purchase (they wanted ID), but that should be a one-time thing.

OTOH, between buying BTC last night and submitting an order for some silver today, there was enough increase in value to cover shipping and still leave me with some change.  Cool Maybe I'll try letting it double next time so I can get a 2-for-1.  Grin

I've created an account at CampBX and have started fooling a bit with IRC to use #bitcoin-otc, but have done nothing much with either of those yet.
Yeah the 0.01 fee at BTC-E is bullshit! That's $1.28 at the current price.

- aka The "DigiMan"
randrace

Activity: 329

LTC -> BTC -> Silver!

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 02:12:03 AM

Does anyone have experience with CampBX?
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 02:27:52 AM

Your the 5th person I have seen talk about Bitfloor in a positive manner. I haven't seen anyone post about Bitstamp. Guess I will be checking out Bitfloor soon.
I was very happy with Bitfloor until today:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166560.msg1736659#msg1736659
BitcoinTate (OP)

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 02:29:32 AM

I was very happy with Bitfloor until today:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166560.msg1736659#msg1736659
Hmm, guess there have been problems everywhere. The whole BTC system is experiencing growing pains.

- aka The "DigiMan"
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 02:55:05 AM

Just love the lag - so much drama!  Grin
gmiwenht

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:20:45 AM

Wasn't Bitfloor hacked?

The one thing that we do know is that Mt.Gox security is excellent. I trade almost daily so I cannot afford to keep my funds in a paper wallet.

1xsBEUVzo6EtAST5Bq96AztiTR5mBXNzt
NABiT

Activity: 324
Merit: 259

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 08:44:44 AM

I have never used MtGox but it hasn't looked like fun of late.

I do use Bitstamp and like it a lot, just need to keep an eye on the banks in that area (Slovenia)

I will probably give Bitcoin Central a try when they are back up and use EUR

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 12:15:53 PM

Wasn't Bitfloor hacked?
It was. That's why I only use them as a convenient way to buy bitcoins with cash, and immediately withdraw them.
Newscastix

Activity: 349

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:12:24 PM

where is the voting option "never used The Gox"  Huh

Grin
fnordfnordfnord

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 08:26:59 PM

Their engineering team is a joke if they haven't fixed the lag and put online a decent trading engine after MONTHS AND MONTHS of time. They completely blew their lead in the field and will just become a mediocre exchange soon enough.
From what I've heard there is no "team". It's just one guy.
The 18 year old PHP wiz... thats usually how these things work.
There is no such thing as a PHP "wiz" Anyone who qualifies as a "wiz" knows better than to use PHP for anything critical or important.
DataPlumber

Activity: 126

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 09:49:42 PM

Their engineering team is a joke if they haven't fixed the lag and put online a decent trading engine after MONTHS AND MONTHS of time. They completely blew their lead in the field and will just become a mediocre exchange soon enough.
From what I've heard there is no "team". It's just one guy.
The 18 year old PHP wiz... thats usually how these things work.
There is no such thing as a PHP "wiz" Anyone who qualifies as a "wiz" knows better than to use PHP for anything critical or important.
Not to say that I don't agree with your sentiment 100+%, but I've found that many people tend to blame the application layer for problems that are actually at the database layer, and that many so-called DBAs can't performance-tune their way out of a wet paper bag.  But when you restart the app layer, and suddenly everything works again (for a while), it's easy to blame the app layer, without realizing that you haven't fixed the underlying concurrency problem, you've merely swept it under the rug for a little while until your site's users return.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: