Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 08:27:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 Avalons on a private pool  (Read 1643 times)
zero-asic (OP)

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:36:38 AM

I just pointed both of my batch one Avalons at my private pool on my LAN.  I also found the 20130410 firmware on the website and installed it. (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon#NEXT)

Both Avalons are running at 66000 MHash/s and things seem to be working nicely.  If you want to check out my eloipool install follow the link in my sig.  I'll post updates in this thread.

Does anyone know how to calculate the amount of time it should take on average for my pool to find a block?  Am I in a mathematically better position than running on a public pool?

Eloipool + bitcoind Ubuntu 12.04 install scripts: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=171782.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:43:43 AM

No, you should use a public pool. You should find a block every 2/3 days.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
DarkPunk

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:45:51 AM

I just pointed both of my batch one Avalons at my private pool on my LAN.  I also found the 20130410 firmware on the website and installed it. (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon#NEXT)

Both Avalons are running at 66000 MHash/s and things seem to be working nicely.  If you want to check out my eloipool install follow the link in my sig.  I'll post updates in this thread.

Does anyone know how to calculate the amount of time it should take on average for my pool to find a block?  Am I in a mathematically better position than running on a public pool?

Even with 2 Avalons, at this difficulty, your better off on a public pool, where your payout will be semi-regular
zero-asic (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:47:36 AM

So if i should find a block every 3 days and a block gives 25BTC that should give me about 8BTC per day.  Is that feasible on a public pool too?

Eloipool + bitcoind Ubuntu 12.04 install scripts: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=171782.0
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:49:54 AM

So if i should find a block every 3 days and a block gives 25BTC that should give me about 8BTC per day.  Is that feasible on a public pool too?
Yes, also mining on a public pool has the advantage of being regularly compensated.
If you go solo anyway - you will make the network stronger Wink

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
zero-asic (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:55:01 AM

So if i should find a block every 3 days and a block gives 25BTC that should give me about 8BTC per day.  Is that feasible on a public pool too?
Yes, also mining on a public pool has the advantage of being regularly compensated.

Cool.  It was an interesting experiment.  I think I'll leave the eloipool + bitcoind install scripts up, but I'm going to switch my miners to a public pool.  Ozcoin I think.  Thanks for the advice!

Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:31:41 PM

http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator

Buy & Hold
StringTheory

Activity: 69

Making Sense of Things

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:19:12 AM

Thanks for the update and congrats on your ASICs, have you run into any significant problems with set-up/firmware or have they been relatively straightforward?  How solid is your internet connection and do they require restarts/maintenance regularly?

Successful Transactions: jayson3 +1
zero-asic (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:11:14 AM

Thanks for the update and congrats on your ASICs, have you run into any significant problems with set-up/firmware or have they been relatively straightforward?  How solid is your internet connection and do they require restarts/maintenance regularly?

Set up has been pretty easy.  It's running OpenWRT with a web gui and it seems pretty stable.

I installed the 4/10 NEXT firmware last night.  After my last 18 hours of experience with this firmware I cannot recommend any other version of the firmware.  This is the only version of the firmware that has seem to have had a really stable version of CGMiner.  It starts right away, it updates right away, and the modules don't sit at zero for no reason anymore.  For some reason sometimes the fans spin down and right back up for no apparent reason.

The efficiency seems just as high as it did before, but I'm not sure that the MHash/s is quite as high.  If it is a little bit lower than it's only by a few thousand MHash/s and could be a difference in network latency or something like that and might not be CGMiner at all.  I'll keep an eye on it and I might run another test later.

Avalon on Ozcoin with the 4/10 firmware is stable and recovers on it's own.  Previous version hung but were stable on a private pool with eloipool.  This firmware has many improvements over previous versions and my Avalon is running nicely.

firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:58:28 PM

I think the real breaking point for solo mining is somewhere above 1% of the total network. If you're getting close to that probably best to go solo.

In real terms, if you could scrape up a terahash you ought to find between 2 and 3 blocks per day. Which should be plenty for anyone.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: