News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: .  (Read 9108 times)
YoYa

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

Always verify deals with me through my public key!

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 11:25:04 PM

Good to see you back chodpaba, It's good to see a thread where I'll be learning something new.
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
||bit

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 01:56:34 AM

edit above.

Do you know where to find the data on how many wallet users were there were when it peaked about $32 in 2011?
||bit

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 02:17:56 AM

edit above.

Do you know where to find the data on how many wallet users were there were when it peaked about $32 in 2011?

Maybe this? http://blockchain.info/charts/n-unique-addresses

That only goes back to April 2012.
||bit

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 03:33:15 AM
Last edit: April 08, 2013, 03:44:55 AM by ||bit

edit above.

Look at the bottom of the page. There is a link for "All Time"

Thanks. I was interested in that for reasons that might suggest a cause to any coincidence with your plotted ratio and price converging to a point.

On another thought. Not sure if it means anything. I noticed the wallets immediately spiked by a factor of about two to two and half times around the 2011 peak price. And when the bitcoin price was basing at about $10, prior to this recent uptrend, there were around 40,000 wallets. We are now about two time that value now. Maybe there's a possible clue to a near peak in that too?

For what it's worth. Based on simple technical reasons, I was already anticipating an at least short term top near around $181 to $189. This is one reason your thread caught my attention. My reasoning, however, has nothing to do with money flow. Just prior movements up to this point.

I've also guessed that if we will see at least a scaled up spike of 2011. The 2011 run was from $1 base to $32 peak. We will need to see it run or spike to $320 from our recent basing at ~$10 (mathematically convenient numbers Smiley)

Our recent baseline at $10 also occurred with an average about 40 times more wallets than the 2011 base. Does that mean 40 times more interested bitcoin buyers as 2011 base time? Interesting coincidence that 40 x the $32 prior peak = $1280 is very near your next peak at $1274.
||bit

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 03:54:16 AM

edit above.

Look at the bottom of the page. There is a link for "All Time"

Thanks. I was interested in that for reasons that might suggest a cause to any coincidence with your plotted ratio and price converging to a point.

On another thought. Not sure if it means anything. I noticed the wallets immediately spiked by a factor of about two to two and half times around the 2011 peak price. And when we bitcoin price was basing at about $10 prior to this bull run, we had close to 40,000 wallets. We are now about two time that value now. Maybe there's a possible clue in that too?

For what it's worth. Based on simple technical reasons, I was already anticipating an at least short term top near around $181 to $189. This is one reason your thread caught my attention. My reasoning, however, has nothing to do with money flow. Just prior movements up to this point.

I've also guessed that if we will see at least a scaled up spike of 2011. The 2011 run was from $1 base to $32 peak. We will need to see it run or spike to $320 from our recent basing at ~$10 (mathematically convenient numbers Smiley)

Our recent baseline at $10 also occurred with an average about 40 times more wallets than the 2011 base. Does that mean 40 times more interested bitcoin buyers as 2011 base time? Interesting coincidence that 40 x the $32 prior peak = $1280. Very near your next peak at $1274.

Well, it's not wallets really, but new Bitcoin addresses. As people decide to move their coins to/from the exchanges they create new addresses.

Oh, your right! I wonder if that could still be a roughly proportionate to unique wallet users. And unfortunately, the data for the number of my wallet users doesn't seem to start accumulating until near the end of 2011.
||bit

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:15:43 AM
Last edit: April 08, 2013, 04:31:55 AM by ||bit

As of the last complete candle, for the same calibration, the limit is calculated at a about $176.

I have not tried to recalibrate. Just waiting to see what happens.

I've been thinking about this, and still can't think of any reason the number would or should converge. Well, at least your testing it. My hope is almost that it fails the test, simply because if it works, it will drive me crazy trying to figure it out despite the obvious potential benefit.  Tongue

Can you describe better how you calc/draw the ratio line?

Is this it:

initial raw data set:
{hour bar #1: O,H,L,C, Volume;
  hour bar #2: O,H,L,C, volume;
  hour bar #3: O,H,L,C, volume;
  hour bar #4: O,H,L,C, volume;
   ...etc...}

process the initial data to make this data set:
{hour bar #1: average(H+L+C)*volume;
  hour bar #2: average(H+L+C)*volume;
  hour bar #3: average(H+L+C)*volume;
  hour bar #4: average(H+L+C)*volume;
 ...etc...}

using that processed data set, is this then the final data set?:
{|(#1 - #2) divided by (#1 + #2)|;
  |(#2 - #3) divided by (#2 + #3)|;
  |(#3 - #4) divided by (#3 + #4)|;
  |(#4 - #5) divided by (#4 + #5)|;
 ...etc...}
where |term| properly => absolute value (term)

||bit

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 05:04:13 AM

As of the last complete candle, for the same calibration, the limit is calculated at a about $176.

I have not tried to recalibrate. Just waiting to see what happens.

I've been thinking about this, and still can't think of any reason the number would or should converge. Well, at least your testing it. My hope is almost that it fails the test, simply because if it works, it will drive me crazy trying to figure it out despite the obvious practical benefit. haha

Can you describe better how you calc/draw the ratio line?

Is this it:

initial raw data set:
{hour bar #1: O,H,L,C, Volume;
  hour bar #2: O,H,L,C, volume;
  hour bar #3: O,H,L,C, volume;
  hour bar #4: O,H,L,C, volume;
   ...etc...}

process the initial data to make this data set:
{hour bar #1: average(H+L+C)*volume;
  hour bar #2: average(H+L+C)*volume;
  hour bar #3: average(H+L+C)*volume;
  hour bar #4: average(H+L+C)*volume;
 ...etc...}

is this the final data set?:
{|(#1 - #2) divided by (#1 + #2)|;
  |(#2 - #3) divided by (#2 + #3)|;
  |(#3 - #4) divided by (#3 + #4)|;
  |(#4 - #5) divided by (#4 + #5)|;
 ...etc...}
where |term| properly => absolute value (term)

The first thing you have to do is to redimension the time series. I am starting with hourly candles just because it is convenient for computing budget, but you could use anything on up to tick data if you wanted to. Group that data into candles of a constant quantile of BTC volume, the exact quantile you use to calibrate the model will depend on the resolution of the data you start with.

Then, keep a running total of $volume from each of your redimensioned candles and divide that sum by the $volume of each individual candle. Then adjust the BTC volume quantile until low spots on the curve are approximately equal to the price peaks. About as close as I could get to this calibration with hourly data was with a 98.24% quantile. Raw data of higher resolution will enable you to get a more accurate calibration.

I see - moreso.

But since you intentionally modified the the volume quantile sizes to match the ratio minimum with price peak, why do you think the next major price peak should happen when it converges again with the ratio plot? Price could just blow past it. Or are you just being curious that it might.

||bit

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 05:49:25 AM

I am always trying out different priors for forecasting. And when I hit upon this it just seemed so odd that the peaks would tend to line up like that. Sure, I calibrated it, but the odd thing is, regardless of the calibration that the current peak and the $32 peak would approach the money flow ratio curve at about the same ratio. Perhaps it will seem less odd if there is no close confirmation, it just seemed so crazy I had to check it out.

Could you describe what you think the ratio might say in descriptive layman terms.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 08:49:47 AM

What about this simple interpretation: People trade less BTC when the price is high?

Do you have the same chart multiplied by price? That would be interesting to compare.
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 01:28:26 PM

Welp, we have reached $190/BTC which is outside the range of error for my working hypothesis. Which tells me that past price bubbles do not really have much of a bearing on the current activity. The tail for the probability for price growth is becoming longer, moving into rotation territory.

Feeling like doing a update? I want to see what it looks like right now.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 02:36:07 PM

Somebody out there—replicate this.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 03:05:24 PM

this.
Crazy

Activity: 182
Merit: 106

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 05:25:50 PM

Nice, thread looks like A+. Gotta come back and read it today.

Elon Krusky
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 05:32:45 PM

definitely a visible divergence downward in the more brightly colored lines

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 03:42:16 AM

Are you posting the updates for fun?  Smiley I only half understood everything, but I got the impression that you thought the model was broken as the price had trampled through your error bounds.

It only means that, instead of two calibration points, I may only have one. It remains to be seen what the error is. Even with the error, I can apply a posterior analysis, I just have not gotten that far.

Regardless, there is still an obvious covariance that I think can tell us something about price development.

What exactly are you calculating now? I am not sure but I think you may be detecting that during "bubbles" there is a divergence between the rate of change in USD volume and the USD volume volatility.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:27:29 PM

Does that "DDoS" on Gox yesterday, and the associated dive in the price, fit on your model in any way?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:00:35 PM

Is it this one? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=173313.0

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
YoYa

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

Always verify deals with me through my public key!

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 08:49:46 AM

Hey chodpaba, you gotta admit this is an interesting one. Again, convergence correlated with decline but in this case with no fundamental reason other than market panic. To me this would suggest that your model at the least would suggest unsustainablity in a parabolic.
rothschild_666

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 03:41:31 PM

Have you thought of normalizing the values?  Say, per $1000?
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 06:12:12 PM

Have you thought of normalizing the values?  Say, per $1000?

I have. But normalizing to BTC volume seems to work better. It is simply the case that there is less variance in BTC volume than $volume, for obvious reasons.

Just from a lay persons perspective, a growth in Bitcoin's value  is equal to deflation in the BitCoin Economy, and that fact alone will cause people to save (less BTC activity), however when there is a large increase in Dollar value that will cause a greater imbalance (more BTC Activity) To me it seems that it is both that are important to model.   

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: