Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:56:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC Device buying advice and situation  (Read 3248 times)
fixxi.net (OP)

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 02:03:10 PM

Are these devices legit ? https://products.butterflylabs.com/

Is there competition at the moment on ASIC devices ?

Are these ASIC devices accepted by the Bitcoin network, i.e could they be declared invalid ?

Now with these fast ASIC devices all miners would be looking at getting one ?

With the 4.5 gh/z ASIC Device rate how much Bitcoints you create in a month ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 02:05:59 PM

Are these devices legit ? https://products.butterflylabs.com/
I keep betting on "no".

Is there competition at the moment on ASIC devices ?
Avalon, ASICMINER are proved working. There are some other projects going on.

Are these ASIC devices accepted by the Bitcoin network, i.e could they be declared invalid ?
Not sure about BFL, but the other 2 i mentioned are working.

Now with these fast ASIC devices all miners would be looking at getting one ?
Correct. The network hashrate will explode.

When you receive yours, if ever, you won't probably be able to mine a single bitcoin in a year.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
fixxi.net (OP)

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 02:23:53 PM

When you receive yours, if ever, you won't probably be able to mine a single bitcoin in a year.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info ! You mean because of calculation complexity it won't get a single bitcoin in an year  ?
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 02:29:35 PM

Supposing that BFL is real and start shipping one month from now (almost impossible), you being at the end of the queue, you could receive the device even in 4 months or so. The network difficulty will have increased so much, and will continue to increase so much, that you will never get your investment back.

Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 02:59:34 PM

I by no means mean to encourage someone to give money to BFL, but...

For that above to be true, network difficulty will need to be somewhere above ~8 billion.

Do you really expect that to be the situation?

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
luffy

Activity: 607
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 03:02:58 PM

if you pay with BTC i agree with cevidad. if you pay with $ i am not so sure. of course you can buy BTC instead Wink
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 03:08:15 PM

For that above to be true, network difficulty will need to be somewhere above ~8 billion.
I didn't do any actual calculations, i was guessing.
However you are one order of magnitude off, the network difficulty needs to be > 600 million for a 4.5GH device to earn less than 1BTC each year. a 100x increase seems somewhat possible in 6 months to me, if BFL ships.

ammo88

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 03:10:02 PM

I'm gonna be a nice guy and advise you to NOT risk your money with BFL..

I got one pre-order with them. Keeps on regretting it, they keep on delaying the shipment for every possible reason...
So the hint is to try one of the companies that have displayed working ASICs, Avalon for example.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 03:18:39 PM

However you are one order of magnitude off, the network difficulty needs to be > 600 million for a 4.5GH device to earn less than 1BTC each year. a 100x increase seems somewhat possible in 6 months to me, if BFL ships.

Ah, right you are about me being off by 1 OOM.

Using http://tpbitcalc.appspot.com/, I show 4.5GHps capturing < 1 BTC/year a bit above 800 million.

I guess that's not *that* far fetched, if BFL ships.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
robamichael

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 05:51:33 PM

More important question is what will be the price for 1 BTC. Calculating ROI with current price means nothing, it is pure speculation.

ROI can be calculated without considering the exchange rate if the hardware is purchased with BTC.

fusion7

Activity: 34

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 06:08:04 PM

More important question is what will be the price for 1 BTC. Calculating ROI with current price means nothing, it is pure speculation.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think BTC/USD exchange rate is irrelevant to the discussion. Assuming BTC is traded at higher price in the future, if one is mining for profit, it might actually be better to just purchase BTC directly and hold them(or long BTC using leverage). If one believes the price of BTC is going down then s/he could obtain the short position by selling call and buying put.
witherworth

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 07:01:21 PM

You're also assuming BFL can get all those units out in 6 months, which I doubt will be the case. I have a feeling we'll be waiting around for a while before everyone gets their units.
regular

Activity: 297
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 07:23:24 PM

why not wait for them to ship and reassess.  Ordering a single now considering they have million+ worth of preorders would mean you'd receiving it very late.  It'd be like ordering a 7970 now at full price to has in 6 months.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 03:20:16 PM

There is no choice, BFL is the only company that have product for sell now

Even you mined 1 coin in a year with a jalapeno, that is still about 1 year ROI

Dexter770221
Legendary

Activity: 1029

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 03:52:43 PM

LOL...

Under development Modular UPGRADEABLE Miner (MUM). Looking for investors.
Changing one PCB with screwdriver and you have brand new miner in hand... Plug&Play, scalable from one module to thousands.
BBQKorv

Activity: 280

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:03:30 PM

Well, last I heard BFL might have a working prototype which is not up to the promised hashrate and is using like 4 to 7 times more electricity than advertised (1W/GH..). All that after 7 months of delaying shipments.

Avalons are sold out a long time ago, but if they decide to make batch 4 that might be your best bet to get ASICs fast. ASICMiner should start selling their devices but there might not be any info right now about when that's going to happen.

Helveticoin is doing something on ASICs as far as I understand, but that's also plenty unknown like ASICMiner.

Buying secondhand Avalon is the fastest and also the most expensive way to get ASIC right now.

At the current LTC rates one should just get a bunch of GPUs and start profiting.
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:10:55 PM

BFL could go bankrupt any day, factor that into your ROI calculations. 16 - 22 employees and zero actual products for sale for almost one year? New facilities, fancy airplane excursions, failed chips, respins, etc.

fnordfnordfnord

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 03:00:02 AM

There are plenty of other scammers who will take your money and make you promises.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: