Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:54:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't Boot Ubuntu on a 6 GPU Rig, Please Help.  (Read 1428 times)
olcaytu2005 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1024

View Profile
November 12, 2016, 09:29:48 PM

I installed ubuntu 16.04. I have a mining rig that has 6 MSI RX470 4 gb with Asrock Pro BTC motherboard.

I've set the graphics chipset to onboard before and installed ubuntu through it. Than I installed the latest AMD drivers from the website. It asked me to reboot.

When I try to reboot it gets stuck on recovering journal.

I tried literally every solution I could find, including nomodeset and fresh installs (been working for 14 hours straight now) and nothing seems to solve my problem.

I than switched the motherboard gpu chipset to PCI-E and was able to boot but with only 1 GPU. As soon as I shutdown and plug the second second GPU in, motherboard doesn't recognize the GPU with monitor plugged in.

I would really like to know what I must do to boot using onboard graphics card while having my 6 GPUs active.

Any help is more than welcome.
smajlbledar

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2016, 06:27:07 PM

i hated the same problem . tried everything no results
and i uninstalled all Ati Drivers.
plugged the monitor cable in VGA ( integrated in the mother board )
then i Installed the drivers again .
i shut down the Rig . then Plugged a HDMI cable in the main GPU that is supposed to be on the mother board .
started and works fine Smiley
hopes works for you to.
bobben2

Activity: 279
Merit: 104

View Profile
November 14, 2016, 07:18:59 PM

1. I will assume you are using powered risers?  If yes goto 2
2. You have sufficient power?  You need at least 1000Watts if stock roms are used.  If yes, goto 3.
3. Try to connect only 1 gpu.  If rig boots with one gpu, then add the next one and keep repeating point.
Then post your result

Fellow miners, get your thens and thans in order and help other forum readers understand what you are writing. Remember the grammar basics:  B larger THAN A (comparator operator). If something THEN ....
olcaytu2005 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1024

View Profile
November 14, 2016, 08:41:54 PM

1. I will assume you are using powered risers?  If yes goto 2
2. You have sufficient power?  You need at least 1000Watts if stock roms are used.  If yes, goto 3.
3. Try to connect only 1 gpu.  If rig boots with one gpu, then add the next one and keep repeating point.
Then post your result

The problem is when I add the 2nd gpu the rig fails to realize what GPU is connected to the screen. With onboard ubuntu just won't boot, recovering journal loop. Tongue

I have more than sufficient power as I'm actively mining with simplemining os and windows.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 3884

View Profile
November 14, 2016, 09:53:56 PM

I installed ubuntu 16.04. I have a mining rig that has 6 MSI RX470 4 gb with Asrock Pro BTC motherboard.

I've set the graphics chipset to onboard before and installed ubuntu through it. Than I installed the latest AMD drivers from the website. It asked me to reboot.

When I try to reboot it gets stuck on recovering journal.

I tried literally every solution I could find, including nomodeset and fresh installs (been working for 14 hours straight now) and nothing seems to solve my problem.

I than switched the motherboard gpu chipset to PCI-E and was able to boot but with only 1 GPU. As soon as I shutdown and plug the second second GPU in, motherboard doesn't recognize the GPU with monitor plugged in.

I would really like to know what I must do to boot using onboard graphics card while having my 6 GPUs active.

Any help is more than welcome.

I did something similar to what OP said.

1. With no GPU connected install Ubuntu 16.04. Monitor connected to onboard graphic.
update/upgrade, sudo reboot, shutdown
2. Connect GPUs to risers and connect GPU to the first 16XPCIe slot without a riser (card on mobo).
3. Try to connect that GPU to monitor. If no signal see where there is signal (most likely from GPU in the first 16XPCIe slot, less likely from the GPU on the last riser). If no signal, connect back to onboard. make sure that everything is connected (PCIe, risers, etc)
4. Install AMD-GPU pro driver.
5. Important: after installing the driver, DON'T reboot UNTIL you entered the following:
Code:
cd ~
sudo usermod -a -G video $LOGNAME
# where $LOGNAME is your superuser name
shutdown (from gui). Shut down PSU, push the power button so no electricity surge will follow later. Light will flicker for a sec.
If you were connected to onboard, switch HDMI to GPU in first 16X PCIe.
Switch PSU power back on, restart.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: