Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:15:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Unofficial] New Global Moderator Election - [Discussion]  (Read 11208 times)
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 6473

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2016, 12:41:11 AM
Last edit: November 20, 2016, 04:14:44 PM by achow101
Merited by Foxpup (1)

This thread is for the discussion of ongoing election for a new Global Moderator.

To find out more information about this election and to see and cast votes, please see the following thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1685557.0

Do not cast votes here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lutpin
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1874

Goodbye, Z.

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2016, 12:46:17 AM

Happy to see some movement with the current global situation. It's much needed.

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀████▄
████▀██████▀█▀██████▀████
██████████████████████████
▐█████▄███████████████▄█████▌
▐███████▄▄█████████▄▄███████▌
▐██████▀█████████████▀██████▌
▐███████████████████████████▌
▀██████████████████████▀
▀████▄████▄▀▀▄████▄████▀
▀███████▀███▀███████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   ███████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
███████

▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
            ██                          ▄▄▄▄▄▄                           ██
           ██  ██████                ▄██████████▄     ████████████████████▀
          ██  ████████             ▄████▀   ▀████▄    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
         ██  ████  ████           ████▀       ▀██▀    ████
        ██  ████    ████        ▄███▀                 ████

██  ████      ████       ███▀                  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ██  ████        ████      ███                   ██████████████
     ██  ████          ████     ███▄                  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██  ████████████████████    ▀████                 ████
   ██  ██████████████████████    ▀████▄        ▄██▄   ████

██  ████                ████     ▀████▄   ▄████▀    ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██  ████                  ████      ▀██████████▀     ████████████████████▄
  ██                                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██
   ▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
BitcoinEXpress
Legendary

Activity: 1210
Merit: 1024

View Profile
November 19, 2016, 04:47:32 AM

While I respect the idea behind it

Theymos pays no attention to mob request.

~BCX~
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2016, 04:56:47 AM

While I respect the idea behind it

Theymos pays no attention to mob request.

~BCX~
He has paid attention to current mods suggesting someone else for a position. That's how I became a mod; a current moderator suggested me to Theymos. Also, I think this is different from previous attempts at voting in a mod since a) this is being run by staff members, b) the people that could be recommended are active, c) this election is designed such that it is difficult to fake the results as happens with polls.

botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
November 19, 2016, 05:11:27 AM

Wouldn't the best suited candidate for the job be the least popular among the masses?  Grin
The perils of a democracy...
mexxer-2

Activity: 924
Merit: 1003

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
November 19, 2016, 05:16:13 AM

Voted, can't see theymos promoting a staff member to Glob mod based on public votes though.
botany
Legendary

View Profile
November 19, 2016, 06:00:26 AM

-snip-
    • No Electioneering. This means that you cannot campaign for a candidate in order to get more people to vote for him. Any user found to be electioneering will have their vote disregarded. Any candidate who is electioneering will be removed from the ballot.
    -snip-

Would these posts be considered against the rules? They are providing the rationale for their votes, and not electioneering as such.
    Posting them here since the other thread is to be exclusively used for voting....

I'll give my top priorities to Mitch since he can make tasks more easier with his custom bots.

Haven't seen the others as active(continuously) yet , and AFAIK Dabs is a fairly new mod
    achow101 (OP)
    Staff
    Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
    November 19, 2016, 06:04:23 AM

-snip-
      • No Electioneering. This means that you cannot campaign for a candidate in order to get more people to vote for him. Any user found to be electioneering will have their vote disregarded. Any candidate who is electioneering will be removed from the ballot.
      [/list]
      -snip-

Would these posts be considered against the rules? They are providing the rationale for their votes, and not electioneering as such.
      Posting them here since the other thread is to be exclusively used for voting....

I'll give my top priorities to Mitch since he can make tasks more easier with his custom bots.

Haven't seen the others as active(continuously) yet , and AFAIK Dabs is a fairly new mod
      No, those are fine. I consider electioneering along the lines of "vote for X". Giving rationale for their vote should not count.

Voted, can't see theymos promoting a staff member to Glob mod based on public votes though.
      Not just based on public votes though; the candidates were chosen because of activity.

Also, I'm newer than Dabs  Grin

Lauda
      Legendary

Activity: 2674
      Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
      November 19, 2016, 07:29:33 AM

To be honest, neither do I. However, I think this is quite an interesting social experiment for our little community here. Can do community make such important decisions as a whole? (no drama and other nonsense) How resistant is this to *corruption*? et al.

From other thread:
      AFAIK the new forum has those features built in, ergo the bot will likely be obsolete. However, yes, the bot was a tremendous help against the KNCMiner and Speculation section spam.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
      😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
      P4man

Activity: 518
      Merit: 500

View Profile
      November 19, 2016, 08:12:09 AM

Frankly, whats the point?

As long as forum rules allow monetization of signature space, 'pay per post' schemes, selling of accounts etc, no amount of moderation is going to make this forum worth reading again. I used to read most new threads, back in the day, before people created accounts to earn a few satoshi from their signature space, faucets, or to sell their high activity accounts later; these days I occasionally log in and click the unread thread link, only to find nothing but useless threads about gambling, pointless post bump newbie threads and similar. If there are still threads worth reading, I cant find them, and I cant be bothered to dig for them.

BTW, when I see staff selling their own signature space to gambling sites, what hope could there be?

Lauda
      Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
      November 19, 2016, 10:08:30 AM

-snip-
      This discussion was beaten to death in several topics already. Tl;dr: Signature campaigns can be considered fine, and there is nothing wrong with genuine people, that are trying to contribute, earning some bonuses along the way. The problematic lies in people that are heavily farming accounts, shitposting and whatnot which is killing the forum from inside out. That said, this discussion would be kind-of off-topic so let's not derail this. If you want to continue discussing this, then bump up one of the older threads.  

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
      P4man

Activity: 518
      Merit: 500

View Profile
      November 19, 2016, 10:41:11 AM

Its not off topic. If you are going to elect a "Global Moderator", voters may want to know where they stand on the issue, and I might add its arguably the single most important issue facing this forum. As for the crux of the matter; I argued it 5 years ago, that if you allow financial incentive for people to post for post count sake, this is precisely what you will get; moderation cant stop it, at most slow it down a bit, but people will push the boundary of what moderators allow, diluting content for post count sake. Signal/noise will drop, causing knowledgeable and interesting posters to leave, further lowering S/N until it snowballs out of control. Q.E.D.

Gavin anderson:
      Last Active:   April 21, 2016, 12:36:37 PM

DeathAndTaxes:
      Last Active:   April 22, 2015, 11:53:28 AM

JoelKatz
      Still seems to lurk, but hasnt posted in over a year.

etc, etc

These days, this forum is all noise, virtually no signal. Have fun moderating it.

botany
      Legendary

View Profile
      November 19, 2016, 11:38:34 AM

AFAIK the new forum has those features built in, ergo the bot will likely be obsolete. However, yes, the bot was a tremendous help against the KNCMiner and Speculation section spam.

I know know that the forum ticker talks about "the next phase of the beta forum software", but I will believe that there is a new forum software when I actually see it rolled out. Wink
      darklus123

Activity: 1246
      Merit: 588

View Profile
      November 19, 2016, 11:51:22 AM

I am a bit confused about the difference of moderator and staff. Well a moderator is obviously moderates that certain category but are  they not staff as well? Anyways back to the topic i  think as well that this is a good  way to at least find a remedy what is currently happening.
      Lauda
      Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
      November 19, 2016, 12:22:10 PM
      Last edit: November 19, 2016, 12:41:25 PM by Lauda

Its not off topic. If you are going to elect a "Global Moderator", voters may want to know where they stand on the issue, and I might add its arguably the single most important issue facing this forum.
      Well, if you are going to discuss the stances of individual moderators regarding it, then you are right. If you're going to discuss whether spam needs to be tackled and how, then it may very well be off-topic. Being a global moderator is not limited to this specific problem.

I know know that the forum ticker talks about "the next phase of the beta forum software", but I will believe that there is a new forum software when I actually see it rolled out. Wink
      FYI those features are implemented. Also you may not have noticed the new 'News' above regarding the new forum.

I am a bit confused about the difference of moderator and staff.
      The staff ranks: patroller, section moderator, global moderator, admin. The first two are going to be marked as 'Staff' in all sections excluding the ones that they are assigned to (does not include patroller). Example: If you go to the Speculation section, you will see 'Moderator' under my name.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
      Lutpin
      Copper Member
      Legendary

Activity: 1876
      Merit: 1874

Goodbye, Z.

View Profile WWW
      November 19, 2016, 03:45:41 PM

3. Michelle.
      Vote Laura & Michelle for Miss Bitcointalk 2016!

▄▄█████████▄▄
      ▄█████████████████▄
      ▄████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀████▄
      ████▀██████▀█▀██████▀████
      ██████████████████████████
      ▐█████▄███████████████▄█████▌
      ▐███████▄▄█████████▄▄███████▌
      ▐██████▀█████████████▀██████▌
      ▐███████████████████████████▌
      ▀██████████████████████▀
      ▀████▄████▄▀▀▄████▄████▀
      ▀███████▀███▀███████▀
      ▀▀█████████████▀▀
        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
         ███████
      ██████████
      ██████████
      ██████████
      ██████████
      ██████████
      ██████████
      ██████████
      ██████████
      ██████████
      ██████████
      ██████████
      ███████

▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
                  ██                          ▄▄▄▄▄▄                           ██
                 ██  ██████                ▄██████████▄     ████████████████████▀
                ██  ████████             ▄████▀   ▀████▄    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
               ██  ████  ████           ████▀       ▀██▀    ████
              ██  ████    ████        ▄███▀                 ████

██  ████      ████       ███▀                  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
            ██  ████        ████      ███                   ██████████████
           ██  ████          ████     ███▄                  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██  ████████████████████    ▀████                 ████
         ██  ██████████████████████    ▀████▄        ▄██▄   ████

██  ████                ████     ▀████▄   ▄████▀    ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
       ██  ████                  ████      ▀██████████▀     ████████████████████▄
        ██                                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██
         ▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
      Chris!
      Legendary

Activity: 1382
      Merit: 1122

View Profile
      November 19, 2016, 04:15:56 PM
      Last edit: November 19, 2016, 04:37:05 PM by Chris!

These days, this forum is all noise, virtually no signal. Have fun moderating it.

That's the idea. Try to bring the noise back down to normal. I'm sure it's affecting business but something can really only be done once it's proved to Theymos, right?

Hell I'd take over if they'd take me. The worst boards IMO are the bitcoin discussion board, anything in economics and even the marketplace a lot of the times needs heavy moderation just to keep the signature spammers at bay.

I must admit I voted based on who's presence I see the most on bitcointalk. Lauda and Achow101 are very active and Mitchell is active too so that's what I based my votes on. Is there somewhere where we can see the differences between the ranks (because I really don't know what they are other than moderating the whole forum rather than just one section)?

Report a lot of posts (somewhat accurately at least) and theymos might, when we need more patrollers (or maybe even board mods).

Well it's true you learn something every day. I didn't even know there were such thing as patrollers. I guess that's why the 'patrol' option exists haha. I have a look through there every so often and report all of the spamming newbies.

<...>

Admins: can do everything imaginable on the site. They however can't delete their accounts.

Global Moderators: can perma ban, nuke newbies, see and handle reports from all sections, and see reported PMs.

Moderators: can see and handle reports from their sections and nuke newbies

Patrollers: Are essentially Moderators but can only do moderator tasks for newbie members.

<...>

Perfect! Thank you very much!
      mprep
      Global Moderator
      Legendary

Activity: 3752
      Merit: 2607

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
      November 19, 2016, 04:26:53 PM

That's the idea. Try to bring the noise back down to normal. I'm sure it's affecting business but something can really only be done once it's proved to Theymos, right?

Hell I'd take over if they'd take me. The worst boards IMO are the bitcoin discussion board, anything in economics and even the marketplace a lot of the times needs heavy moderation just to keep the signature spammers at bay.

I must admit I voted based on who's presence I see the most on bitcointalk. Lauda and Achow101 are very active and mitchell is active too so that's what I based my votes on.

I think's he's completely aware of the issue - you can't really miss it if you spend any time on the forum.

Hell I'd take over if they'd take me.
      Report a lot of posts (somewhat accurately at least) and theymos might, when we need more patrollers (or maybe even board mods).

The worst boards IMO are the bitcoin discussion board, anything in economics and even the marketplace a lot of the times needs heavy moderation just to keep the signature spammers at bay.
      Bitcoin discussion is generally broad enough for sig spammers to pass a lot of low quality question threads as normal. The staff team has been cracking down on such threads recently though so report it if you see something veering towards spam rather than a constructive discussion.

I must admit I voted based on who's presence I see the most on bitcointalk. Lauda and Achow101 are very active and Mitchell is active too so that's what I based my votes on. Is there somewhere where we can see the differences between the ranks (because I really don't know what they are other than moderating the whole forum rather than just one section)?
      From https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=703657.0#post_faq:

Q: Where can I find all the moderators/staff/administrators?
      A: Just go to the Member search page (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=mlist;sa=search), untick all the boxes and then tick "Search by position". To find all regular moderators like board moderators, local moderators or patrollers (site-wide newbie moderators), search for "Staff" (without the quotation marks). To find all global moderators, search for "Global Moderator". To find all admins, search for "Administrator".

Make sure to check you are not dealing with an imposter: real mods have the "Position:" field (or the field bellow their username and above their rank (like 'Member' or "Hero member") when they PM or post) set as either Staff, Global Moderator or Administrator. Also, administrators and global moderators have a half colored last coin when you view the left side of their PM or a post. Admins have a red one and global mods have a light blue colored one.

Q:What can <insert staff member name or rank here> do?
      A: Different ranks have different access to moderation tools. A quote from Salty Spitoon explains it pretty well:

<...>

Admins: can do everything imaginable on the site. They however can't delete their accounts.

Global Moderators: can perma ban, nuke newbies, see and handle reports from all sections, and see reported PMs.

Moderators: can see and handle reports from their sections and nuke newbies

Patrollers: Are essentially Moderators but can only do moderator tasks for newbie members.

<...>

InvoKing
      Legendary

Activity: 2142
      Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
      November 19, 2016, 06:45:24 PM

Some mods are more active or exactly are less silent in their actions than others. I feel that the vote is a little bit biased by this fact but it remains valid imo.
      Will vote later tho, prefer that the new global mod (if approved by Theymos) think twice before taking decisions that could be controversial...
      Good luck for everyone.

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
      Press Section Police Department!
      Lauda
      Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
      November 19, 2016, 07:17:02 PM

Some mods are more active or exactly are less silent in their actions than others. I feel that the vote is a little bit biased by this fact but it remains valid imo.
      That is correct, however that raises more questions. For example, does being the most active moderator make you the most *qualified* one? Does being a moderator for the most amount of time (regardless of activity) make you the most *qualified* one? If yes, why? If no, why not? et. al. You could gain *some* insight in regards to mod activity if you analyze mod payments but that's about it. In most cases you will just end up attempting to guess which address belongs to whom.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
      Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
        Print  

Jump to: