Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:03:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2017: The Year of Anonymous Coins  (Read 2386 times)
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 08:43:22 PM

IMO anonymity is just pretty unimportant these days since 80% of the people owning a coin, keep their funds on exchanges and never uses the anon transaction feature

That's true, but that is because these people are also not "users" of the coin, but just gamblers, eh, investors in the coin.  In other words, they don't use the coin as a currency (like bitcoin) or to set up a genuine contract, say, renting a bike (like ethereum), they are only interested in the coin increasing its market price (or in it decreasing its market price when shortable).
These gamblers (most of the crypto volume and market cap actually) don't even need a block chain: they only need IOU on the web sites of exchanges.
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pseudonymdude
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 10:04:52 PM

Monero, Dash, Komodo, Zcash, Zclassic, ShadowCoin, Zerocoin, VCash, etc...

2016 was the year of the rise and recognition of the profitability of altcoins and summer of ICOs but people are tiring out.

Most of the altcoin ICOs have gone nowhere and have no real use cases until they actually deliver on their development and it could be a long time until they get a fully working product delivered that is actually used. Even still, with all the money raised by their ICOs, you have to think.... Who will really use them? Why is the ICO's idea worth millions of dollars?

Pumping and dumping was great in 2016 and a lot of people lost and a lot of people won but the amount of money sucked from people willing to lose is growing thin. The pumps are getting weak, people are getting smarter and most newer coin releases after an ICO are sitting close to the ICO value because no one wants to sell because no one wants to buy. Volume on exchanges is decreasing at an alarming rate all across the board.

Bitcoin is the grandfather of the blockchain scene. It is getting outdated in terms of technology, but it is tried and true and works without any bells and whistles. It is a coin that ACTUALLY gets used on a global scale daily by the mass. The largest use case of Bitcoin is online commerce and transfer of value. Most of the time, the simple way of using Bitcoin is perfectly fine on websites but most people do not want to reveal their tracks or hide their balances. This is where people realize crypto's biggest use case is for most people and take it a step further by adding anonymity.

This year (2017), many people will pull their money from worthless alts with lagging development or a fake purpose. The community will finally leave them in the dust. Watching Poloniex this year, the volume of trading on over 50% of the coins listed has gone down to less than 10 BTC a day. Poloniex is full of bots so you can't even rely on those being the true numbers.

Something I have noticed that makes me realize the money is in anonymous coins in that no one ever gets hyped when someone speaks of any other coin's purpose. Everyone flips out when news hits about how development is  happening in anonymous coins. This shows what people really care about and what excites people about blockchain tech. With this potential excitement like a tank of gasoline, it only takes one successful development's spark to ignite the rush of money flowing in. Once use cases start emerging, money will flow in from other altcoins and fiat, pumping the price "To The Moon".

ZCash has had a lot of hype and Monero's development is finally seeing some light. In reality, blockchain technology is fascinating and bulletproof, but for the average Joe (IMPORTANT! Who will spend money on Crypto and bring money in!), the blockchain tech's real use and purpose is TRANSFER OF VALUE. A lot of money came in from the average Joe when the great Bitcoin hype was about how Bitcoin will be fiat's greatest enemy.

The next great hype will come from the succeeding anonymous coin that will work alongside Bitcoin to transfer value across the globe anonymously. Be careful in 2017. Take a long hard look at your positions and really ask yourself if you are being sucked into holding up the value of a coin by holding due to a false purpose of that coin. Blockchain tech is great, but doesn't always beat centralized methods and a lot of coins are creating solutions for problems that don't really exist.

DISCLAIMER:
I am a trader and watch trends and news. This is the sum of all of my experience. It may not be correct, but I wanted to share my thoughts and would like your opinions and feedback on what 2017 may be like for the crypto scene as a whole (NOT trading advice).

My current position is all in Bitcoin in a cold wallet because trading has been slowing down and it is getting harder to make money. My realization is that pumping and dumping has created a false sense of purpose for most coins. With disappointing profits for Q4 2016, it would be interesting to see if most people will be going back to Bitcoin. I sense a great altcoin "winter" coming with only coins with a purpose staying alive because money will flow from worthless coin dumps.

I disagree with you that 2017 will be the year of anonymous coins. This is not new anymore, most cryptos already have some degree of privacy implemented in their core as you mentioned. But if you look at the current state of Bitcoin and most altcoins, what is missing?  Roll Eyes

Fast transactions from wallet to wallet and wallets that sync fast on mobile devices are missing! There is almost no coin that implements fast transactions in a secure and descentralized way, and those who claim that can do it...actually if you research deeper you will find that they actually have some centralized parties involved.

Causally, you mentioned one coin where the development is focused on performing fast transactions on blockchain (zerotime technology), syncs fast (zeroledger technology) and thus not relying in centralized parties. Plus, it does not lose it's anonymous feature (chainblender technology). This coin is https://v.cash/ (XVC), and you will probably see people talk a lot about it next year.

My argument is reinforced by the fact that SegWit will not activate any soon which is a result of the undefined blocksize debate (Bitcoin Unlimited getting traction), and so Lightning Network will not activate next year as it depends on SegWit. This opens the doors for altcoins like https://v.cash/ (XVC) get a share of this market.

2017 could certainly be all about Vcash.  Look into Zerotime, Zeroledger, and Vcash's scalability.

To anyone who doubts:

Download Client Node (No Ledger) from https://v.cash/wallets.php

You'll see the chain will download in under 2 minutes and you'll be able to test out Zerotime.

iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 10:31:08 PM

I think that is the big failure of any non-anonymous currency (most of them in fact).  With non-anonymity comes non-fungible coins.  You can decide not to accept coins that come from transactions in certain countries, you can decide not to have coins that have been held by the competition (if that competition is smaller), law makers can impose different taxes as a function of where coins come from (for instance, they could make tax transferrable: if you accept coins from someone who hasn't paid their taxes, YOU should now pay them in their place).

Non-anonymous coins are not fungible.

@iamnotback: I'm curious to know your stance on this. Does your new coin tackle this issue (if it's really one)?

Notwithstanding my opinion on whether governments are going to tax and attempt to fragment crypto-currency, higher valued transactions are more at risk than microtransactions. I just can't fathom the government attempting to ask people to report and pay taxes on every $0.0001 transaction they do on social networking. So since I am mostly focused on scaling out crypto-currency for social networking and apps gamification (think small payments for in game upgrades, etc), then i don't view anonymity as a crucial issue for fungibility in my targeted priority area.

My opinion is that governments are going to be forced to reduce regulation of crypto-currencies not increase. Because it is a global phenomenon that they don't have jurisdiction over. One-by-one they will fall like dominoes into this reality, especially as crypto-currency becomes more and more popular.

Additionally I believe there is a global monetary reset coming 2019-2024ish, in which we will have a global financial governance established with the World Bank, IMF, and SDRs. Thus the nations will turn to this new institutional regulatory power to regulate the global crypto-currencies without impacting fungibility. (See my posts in the Martin Armstrong thread of the Economics forum on why I believe this will come)

Privacy is I think a stronger argument for why we need some form of anonymity sets in our crypto-currency. I plan to do something low overhead with offchain mixing (with a new invention I have for that) to achieve a commensurate level of privacy for the market I am targeting. For every high valued finance, I am thinking Zcash's technology may be the best. The trusted key setup does not impact anonymity, only could allow hidden debasement (inflation). I think they will figure out a way to make these private keys in a way that corporations trust the veracity. I am not sure if I still see a need for Monero's form of anonymity. Maybe, I and I need to spend more time analyzing that. Haven't had time lately to focus on anonymity. There was an issue with Monero's viewkey being superior, etc...

In the past I dreamed of a perfect e-gold wherein our anonymity was absolute. I now realize that is not feasible and would violate the fundamental laws of physics. Analogous to we can't do anything in real life without some risk of it being known to someone else, the same will be true online. It will be impossible to have perfect assurance of anonymity. So we shouldn't be modeling fungibility on the assumption of perfect anonymity. Fungibility can be I think modeled on the assumption that the people-at-large will demand that their Internet money be globally fungible. It will be considered a basic human right that Internet money and access be without borders/barriers. The globalists want this. I believe the elite created Bitcoin as a Trojan horse against nation-state and banking interests selfishness. They are using us to force a wedge between nation-states and banks, and the global village reality of the Internet. We are the partners of the global elite, not their enemy. This is why we see Richard Branson offering his private island to Bitfury group's conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rep37R3l3_4

This is why we see Nicholas Negroponte at the Montreal Scaling Bitcoin conference talking about Internet access and money as a basic human right:

https://scalingbitcoin.org/presentations
https://youtu.be/0SnjrdQtf8Y?t=537
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: