Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:53:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could mining come back to CPUs?  (Read 4105 times)
Signus

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 07:40:38 PM

I am thinking that FPGA has not been explored enough.

Maybee there are some that can be used to mine different crypto-currencies at a decent rate with low power-consumption and low unit-price compared to CPU based mining riggs.

It truly hasn't. I'm still working on a FPGA project of my own, very very slowly. But developing the bitstream for multiple currencies is possible with FPGA's. If LTC becomes huge once the ASIC's hit the market bit time, FPGA's will be back in the game.
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pizza

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 08:09:20 PM

It def will in the future but not the current cpu technology. an article mentioned building chipsets with mobile processors in about a year or so.
Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 08:13:36 PM

I am thinking that FPGA has not been explored enough.

Maybee there are some that can be used to mine different crypto-currencies at a decent rate with low power-consumption and low unit-price compared to CPU based mining riggs.

It truly hasn't. I'm still working on a FPGA project of my own, very very slowly. But developing the bitstream for multiple currencies is possible with FPGA's. If LTC becomes huge once the ASIC's hit the market bit time, FPGA's will be back in the game.

Signus, that's interesting.  So assuming a scrypt based currency becomes the flavor of the day (I think likely) then does going this route make sense as an alternative to making a new ASIC or a multi-chipped monster bitcoin mining supercomputer?
Signus

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 09:24:44 PM

Possibly, yes.

The topic though is on whether CPU's could ever come back to the market, and I think not. CPU's are reaching their physical limits.
Quix

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 11:01:36 PM

Although there are a lot of companies that could do this easily they won't. There is not enough money in it. Like it or not Bitcoin is a toy that most people don't play with. It only matters as much as it does to us because we're the ones invested in it. To most people it doesn't matter at all.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: