Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 05:35:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: There will be blood.  (Read 8680 times)
Coma (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 05:22:19 PM

Will there be blood? A friend of mine says that no turnover of power so huge as the currency change proposed by bitcoin cannot happen witout bloodshed. But there's still no sign of violence on the horizon. I kinda agree with that idea.

What do you guys think?
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anonymous

June 14, 2011, 05:23:56 PM

Yeah, the central bankers slitting their wrists after realizing they can't fight a virtual army behind 9001 proxies.

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 05:29:10 PM

I drank your milkshake!
Braden

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 05:36:42 PM

Will there be blood? A friend of mine says that no turnover of power so huge as the currency change proposed by bitcoin cannot happen witout bloodshed. But there's still no sign of violence on the horizon. I kinda agree with that idea.

What do you guys think?

No, there will not be. Bitcoin could become a major player in online currency exchanges. People who think it will spark a global currency revolution and become the world standard are nuts.
DamienBlack

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 05:41:11 PM

What do you guys think?

No, there will not be. Bitcoin could become a major player in online currency exchanges. People who think it will spark a global currency revolution and become the world standard are nuts.

^this

Bitcoin will be a success if it captures 10% of online sales and is used heavily in some area that makes sense, like micro-transactions in online games. I don't think the goal of bitcoin is to overthrow the governments of the world. Other people differ on that point.
Coma (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 06:41:58 PM

What do you guys think?

^this

Bitcoin will be a success if it captures 10% of online sales and is used heavily in some area that makes sense, like micro-transactions in online games. I don't think the goal of bitcoin is to overthrow the governments of the world. Other people differ on that point.

Even that 10% of online sales won't be possible without bloodshed. IMHO

And how will that limit be stablished?
I don't understand where will the gentleness come from.
Braden

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 06:47:46 PM

Where would violence come from? Austrian commandos storming the Federal Reserve? A nuclear exchange between Mt.Gox and Paypal?

I don't see it.
Anonymous

June 14, 2011, 06:50:47 PM

The parasites can't collect taxes on money they can't see.
Braden

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 06:51:29 PM

Which parasites?
Anonymous

June 14, 2011, 06:54:15 PM

Which parasites?
The ones with the monopolies on force.
Braden

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 06:55:40 PM

Which parasites?

I am not aware of any entities that have a monopoly on force.
Anonymous

June 14, 2011, 07:00:10 PM

Which parasites?

Let's see what happens when you try to start your own security force and claim sovereignty over your property, land and person.
Braden

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:03:42 PM

Which parasites?

Let's see what happens when you try to start your own security force and claim sovereignty over your property, land and person.

According to the UN, at least 192 groups have successfully done that.
DamienBlack

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:06:40 PM

You read a lot of Ayn Rand, don't you?
Anonymous

June 14, 2011, 07:11:16 PM

You read a lot of Ayn Rand, don't you?
Meh. I can respect some of her positions but mostly she was an overly-pragmatic, pompous bitch.
Anonymous

June 14, 2011, 07:11:41 PM

Which parasites?

Nearly all owned by the central banks.
bittersweet

Activity: 222

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:13:07 PM

No. They started a security force and claimed sovereignty over property and land of other people.

My Bitcoin address: 1DjTsAYP3xR4ymcTUKNuFa5aHt42q2VgSg
Coma (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:15:36 PM

No. They started a security force and claimed sovereignty over property and land of other people.

+1

Where would violence come from? Austrian commandos storming the Federal Reserve? A nuclear exchange between Mt.Gox and Paypal?

I don't see it.

The simplest most basic scenario I can imagine is employees fired due to obsolescence of their work power.

Other case scenario might be that massive ammounts of people start saving in BTC and banks reserves go dry which would obvioously led to bank runs.

Not predicting any of this will happen, just thinking what may happen given proper conditions in a reality not that different of today.
Braden

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:16:10 PM

Allow me to go point by point.

1)Governments are parasites:
Government spending is a portion of GDP which means that resources are not destroyed by the government, merely reallocated. Additionally, they address externalities which could not be handled by the private sector. While the proper scope of government can certainly be debated, and I might agree that it is currently too large, to dismiss all governments as parasitic is incredibly ignorant.

2) Governments have a monopoly of force:
There are currently 192 governments, which is no indicative of a monopolistic market. Rather, it in indicative of a competitive market with high entry costs. It is true that a cannot individually enter the "force market". I also cannot build my own cars. This does not mean that car manufacturers are a monopoly.

3) Countries are controlled by central banks:
First off, this isn't true. Second off, who cares?
RandyMarsh

Activity: 237

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:17:15 PM

If you have a GPU and I have a GPU, and my GPU reaches ACROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS the room and starts to mine your coins... I MINE YOUR COINS... I MINE THEM UP!?!

Stan?! STAN?!?!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: