Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:08:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2016-11-23]Yours raises funds for bitcoin based Reddit alternative  (Read 271 times)
WishICanTurnBackTime (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 06:23:21 AM

Yours raises funds for bitcoin based Reddit alternative

I met the CEO of reddit, Yishan Wong, at a restaurant in San Francisco in the summer of 2014. Yishan shared with me his vision of reddit as internetland, like a nation state with no physical borders. The only thing missing from internetland was money, so the users could pay each other for their work. Cryptocurrency seemed like the right tool for this, because it was native to the internet, just like reddit itself. I joined reddit as the world’s first cryptocurrency engineer to help Yishan implement his vision.
Unfortunately, Yishan resigned shortly after I joined. Without his support, I was unable to continue the project at reddit. But I couldn’t let go of the idea.
In the summer of 2015, amidst turmoil in the reddit community, I wrote an article called “Fix reddit with bitcoin” that struck a nerve. A lot of people liked the idea of an internet community with a real economy. Not just reddit users, but people from all social media communities and traditional media found the idea compelling. This needed to exist.

http://bravenewcoin.com/news/yours-raises-funds-for-bitcoin-based-reddit-alternative/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: