Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:27:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: AUCTION - 8 rolls of new 0.5BTC Casascius Coins  (Read 11680 times)
slakeco

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 01:12:02 AM

I bid 34.2 BTC for Rolls #3 & #4.

Based on my understanding of the bidding terms, this format is applicable and currently are valid bids for the two rolls specified.
However, if I have made an error, please excuse me and consider the bid for any 2 rolls instead.

2 Rolls total

Thank you.

+1
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
k99

Activity: 346
Merit: 255

Manfred Karrer

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 01:26:49 AM

YEAH we are done!!!!

https://bisq.network  |  GPG Key: 6A6B2C46
paulgruber

Activity: 24

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 01:33:00 AM

is it all over?

slakeco

Activity: 48

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 01:38:06 AM

I reckon we are done.

We are certainly beyond 15 minutes of (my) the last bid for the first time in the auction.

Kudos to everyone who helped make Mike's Casascius auction work.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 01:47:26 AM

Sounds like its over!  Congrats to all winners.

I am posting from my phone, will review it more thoroughly when sitting at a computer. I am open to changes to the format to improve fairness and efficiency, and will take into serious consideration the suggestions presented here.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
paulgruber

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 01:52:01 AM

Ripper..

I hope it's all over and I got something  Smiley

I also say to all the Blokes and Ladies involved, well done. It is a bit of a hard way to go about things. But I'm sure the next round will be a lot more organised with a private auction script to make bidding a bit easier.

Cheers All.

paulgruber

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 01:54:14 AM

Mike, I can have one of my coders put together a decent customised auction script if you're interested.

Thanks once again for the opportunity.

Cheers
Paul Gruber
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:28:45 AM

Looks like I missed this one.  I had at first thought that the end time was fixed, and when I saw that it wasn't I had other things that needed doing, and I couldn't sit in front of the computer for what I thought might be another 4 hours or so.

Maybe someone will resell me some.

Again, I would like to suggest that instead of auctions on the forum, that the coins be sold in the webstore like always, but that the store have a minimum order quantity or value that can be used to ensure that orders are of a wholesale nature, and ease the burden of processing them, which is the point, isn't it?  Or maybe I have it wrong...

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 06:05:53 AM

Looks like I missed this one.  I had at first thought that the end time was fixed, and when I saw that it wasn't I had other things that needed doing, and I couldn't sit in front of the computer for what I thought might be another 4 hours or so.

Again, I would like to suggest that instead of auctions on the forum, that the coins be sold in the webstore like always, but that the store have a minimum order quantity or value that can be used to ensure that orders are of a wholesale nature, and ease the burden of processing them, which is the point, isn't it?  Or maybe I have it wrong...

+1

& Melbustus: +1

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
dc7d

Activity: 16

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:02:44 AM

+1
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:02:08 AM

I have the idea:

REVERSE auction them off on your website.
Price drops 1% every hour or so.

Start each roll at sky-high (face value x 3 or so) and implement a reserve.

Only bulk items (ie rolls).
Each roll listed seperately, shipping may be combined.
You can just throw new items on there and see how they sell.

THAT would be a process I'd like to be part of.
k99

Activity: 346
Merit: 255

Manfred Karrer

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 11:16:51 AM

Clever idea!!!!!!!!!

https://bisq.network  |  GPG Key: 6A6B2C46
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:24:38 AM

I have the idea:

REVERSE auction them off on your website.
Price drops 1% every hour or so.

Start each roll at sky-high (face value x 3 or so) and implement a reserve.

Only bulk items (ie rolls).
Each roll listed seperately, shipping may be combined.
You can just throw new items on there and see how they sell.

THAT would be a process I'd like to be part of.

very good! Because it incorporated the very important factor of timing (when you will receive the coins). Someone who needs coins urgently has to pay more.

I like it.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:52:41 AM

This will only work for products I produce from today forward, but here is an idea you can do right now.  The counterfeiting hasn't happened yet.  Go throw your current stash of Casascius Coins on a scanner, scan a photo of them, take a 160-bit hash of the file, and then work that hash into the block chain somehow.  Convert the hash to a bitcoin address and send a satoshi to it (my Bitcoin Address Utility can do this, for example).  Your photo with its supporting hash in the block chain will be publicly verifiable proof that the coin in your photo existed today.

Awesome idea. Thanks for sharing!

I'm trying this and thought I'd show you guys because I'm unsure about some specifics of the process:

Casascius Coins: Am I doing "Proof of Existence" right?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:56:43 AM

+1 for all the above.

I have tried several auction methods, and a reverse ("Dutch") auction is one that works quite well. You implement a website with lots (plural of "a lot") of products for sale and a ticking "buy now" button. The amount in the button decreases steadily. First bid always wins. Payment in 10 minutes. You can time out the products and not need to tell when it happens, so it will increase the excitement. Smooth as a pie.

This will not fetch you the long term highest price, according to the statistics. But I figured out, you don't care about squeezing the last satoshi, just want the market to allocate the coinsn efficiently with less decisions needed from your part.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 01:32:16 PM

The reverse auction idea is neat, but I would like to see any kind of auction be avoided as a primary means of sale for the coins.

Auctions create a premium on the value of the coins based on the time and effort someone needs to put in to participate in and win an auction.  They also take time and effort to administer, especially without any auction software to help.  I thought the point of changing the sale format was to have Mike put less time and effort into sales.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 01:56:52 PM

The reverse auction idea is neat, but I would like to see any kind of auction be avoided as a primary means of sale for the coins.

Auctions create a premium on the value of the coins based on the time and effort someone needs to put in to participate in and win an auction.  They also take time and effort to administer, especially without any auction software to help.  I thought the point of changing the sale format was to have Mike put less time and effort into sales.

that's exactly what happens.
the market will find its "own" sweet spot, which I find desirable.
paulgruber

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 02:11:36 PM

I definitely agree with bogart as if we are all true resellers or in the business to provide physical Bitcoins to the market without over inflating the price, they should be sold directly through casascius.com in large quantities (whether it be 100 or 300 coins etc..) for resellers only. This would give Mike a much better idea of exactly how many to mint which will take away a lot of the hassle of selling individual coins to the public. It will not create a monopoly on physical Bitcoins, but will help keep the market interested in physical Bitcoins.

To be really honest, I think that doing things the way they are being done is opening the door for other coin mints to create a huge amount of coins which will eventually sell each coin at face value.  I saw an eBay auction for a casascius 1btc for a stupid amount just days ago. This is not the way it should be.. I've got 4 x 10btc 1 troy ounce silver coins and they're just a keepsake for each of my kids more than anything. I say let there be physical Bitcoins, but also be fair in what they really are "Bitcoins".. Regular Bitcoins and put out special editions such as the silver 10btc coins occasionally.

Anyway, it may not make much sense in what I've jus said, but really wanted to just state where I see things going.. (And I just woke up)..
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 08:22:49 PM

I will need a bit of time to be ready to collect the shipping info, issue payment addresses, and get these out.

To be honest this has been a busy week for me.  Lots of unexpected stuff, all good.  Have had lots of new media inquiry regarding my coins and I consider this a high priority use of time: it results in good coverage, and is consistent with my ulterior motive to promote.  It's also resulted in new resources come my way to help produce better coins.

Don't pay any address that I don't PGP sign.  I will use "you're able to PM me from the winning account" as the determiner as to associate the coins with the winners.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 09:54:49 PM

Mike, you will be PMing the winners directly, right?

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: