Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:17:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 [135] 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 ... 344 »
  Print  
Author Topic: 🎥 PureVidz.net: Decentralized Streaming WebTorrents 🎥 VIDZ - Trading Now 🎥  (Read 323657 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
drays
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1073

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 12:06:57 AM

Hello everyone,

Today, we want to inform you of a rather large update to the sites main infrastructure we'll be doing over the next few days. While one of our focuses is adding new features, another is ensuring the stability and scalability of the platform. Recently, we've noticed many users have found it overly complicated to upload content using the Web Torrent system, while a small handful have found it straight forward. Another issue we've ran into is the current scalability of the Web Torrent client. While this can be addressed by our team, it would be a set back to our platform if we focused our resources currently into developing a more efficient hybrid WebTorrent client.

For our beta we were planning on adding dual support for WebTorrent and IPFS. Our current research has shown us that IPFS allows out platform to scale better in terms of reliability, and ease of use in all aspects of download, uploading and simply viewing the content. Given this, we've made the decision to currently pursue IPFS as out primary means of site content.

We've already reached out to our primary uploaders and notified of this change and will be actively working with them. During this change, there will be a content purge from the site as we'll be disabling for the time being uploading Web Torrent based content and migrating towards IPFS based content. We want to make it clear, we're not abandoning the use of WebTorrenting but rather postponing its primary use as it's a powerful technology, but will require a lot of time out of us before we can produce a scalable product using it.

What you should expect after our changes is for the site to initially have minimal to no content as our uploaders migrate to the new format and repopulate our index but in terms of benefits you should expect as previously stated increased reliability of content and it'll be far easier to upload/download content. After our infrastructure is back and running to par we can continue our reach into improving the WebTorrent client and re-enable WebTorrent uploading.

Once our primary uploaders are all up to date on our changes, we'll be working with them to put together a guide for "the every day joe" to easily add content to our network which should help us quickly grow. We feel that this update is a great step forward in making PureVidz more accessible to everyone and a good start to our planned major update.

Notice: This change will go into effect on Jan 25th where for a short time frame the site will be unavailable during our maintenance. When it comes back online, it will initially have no content and we'll be working with our uploaders to get everything back online.

Thanks.

Why to toss the WbTorrent stuff which is already there!? What prevents you from just adding the IPFS without removing WebTorrent content, allow users to upload both ways, and make the IPFS the default, if it is easier? I am not sure such drastic moves will be welcome. Torrents need to be there, as they were part of the deal. Don't get me wrong, IPFS may be a great technology, but the word "torrent" attracted people here.

... this space is not for rent ...
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
scaryvirus

Activity: 570
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 12:16:43 AM

Very important - IPFS wont have people seeding the data if you go that route because they have blacklists for nodes on by default for copyright items. e.g. https://twitter.com/petertoddbtc/status/653784515874299904

Sia is the best very very fast decentralized file storage/sharing system with great encryption and thus data neutrality already working with the incentive token out, no need to wait for filecoin. You can do sharing, everything is encrypted, it's the way to go. But maybe I'm missing something good about ipfs.
Pure_Vidz (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 12:48:18 AM
Last edit: January 25, 2017, 01:05:34 AM by Pure_Vidz

Hello everyone,

Today, we want to inform you of a rather large update to the sites main infrastructure we'll be doing over the next few days. While one of our focuses is adding new features, another is ensuring the stability and scalability of the platform. Recently, we've noticed many users have found it overly complicated to upload content using the Web Torrent system, while a small handful have found it straight forward. Another issue we've ran into is the current scalability of the Web Torrent client. While this can be addressed by our team, it would be a set back to our platform if we focused our resources currently into developing a more efficient hybrid WebTorrent client.

For our beta we were planning on adding dual support for WebTorrent and IPFS. Our current research has shown us that IPFS allows out platform to scale better in terms of reliability, and ease of use in all aspects of download, uploading and simply viewing the content. Given this, we've made the decision to currently pursue IPFS as out primary means of site content.

We've already reached out to our primary uploaders and notified of this change and will be actively working with them. During this change, there will be a content purge from the site as we'll be disabling for the time being uploading Web Torrent based content and migrating towards IPFS based content. We want to make it clear, we're not abandoning the use of WebTorrenting but rather postponing its primary use as it's a powerful technology, but will require a lot of time out of us before we can produce a scalable product using it.

What you should expect after our changes is for the site to initially have minimal to no content as our uploaders migrate to the new format and repopulate our index but in terms of benefits you should expect as previously stated increased reliability of content and it'll be far easier to upload/download content. After our infrastructure is back and running to par we can continue our reach into improving the WebTorrent client and re-enable WebTorrent uploading.

Once our primary uploaders are all up to date on our changes, we'll be working with them to put together a guide for "the every day joe" to easily add content to our network which should help us quickly grow. We feel that this update is a great step forward in making PureVidz more accessible to everyone and a good start to our planned major update.

Notice: This change will go into effect on Jan 25th where for a short time frame the site will be unavailable during our maintenance. When it comes back online, it will initially have no content and we'll be working with our uploaders to get everything back online.

Thanks.

Why to toss the WbTorrent stuff which is already there!? What prevents you from just adding the IPFS without removing WebTorrent content, allow users to upload both ways, and make the IPFS the default, if it is easier? I am not sure such drastic moves will be welcome. Torrents need to be there, as they were part of the deal. Don't get me wrong, IPFS may be a great technology, but the word "torrent" attracted people here.

We're not tossing anything. We're advancing our schedule on allowing IPFS based content. As we've stated once this is done, we'll be re-enabling torrent based uploading as we merge the two platforms together.
allow users to upload both ways, and make the IPFS the default, if it is easier
This is essentially what we'll be doing once IPFS is taken care of and out of the way.

Very important - IPFS wont have people seeding the data if you go that route because they have blacklists for nodes on by default for copyright items. e.g. https://twitter.com/petertoddbtc/status/653784515874299904

Sia is the best very very fast decentralized file storage/sharing system with great encryption and thus data neutrality already working with the incentive token out, no need to wait for filecoin. You can do sharing, everything is encrypted, it's the way to go. But maybe I'm missing something good about ipfs.

We'll be looking alternate forms of media once we've secured implementing IPFS and WebTorrents together. The duality of the platform should make it easy when going forward if we want to add any other providers such as Sia as you've pointed out. I'd also emphasize on the response that Tweet has which is IPFS is open source which in other words you can disable the blacklist. Again, IPFS isn't intended to be out only solution as WebTorrenting once we combine the two will likely be our primary source of content for movies/tv where as IPFS will be our primary source of content for personal videos, i.e. vlogs, personal recordings, etc.

On that note, the block list is only enforced directly on gateway.ipfs.io and other gateways that have opted into the block list. It will be possible in your user profile to set your default gateway url for ipfs. Reference by an IPFS dev.
PikachuYou

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Me is Cute

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 01:19:14 AM

our primary source of content for personal videos, i.e. vlogs, personal recordings, etc.

so, PureVidz is not just going to be movies and series?

you guys are going even further than that?

scaryvirus

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 01:32:05 AM

One more comment - does this mean the ipfs traffic on this would be limited to people providing content? I dont know if it's an issue for safety that this ipfs would be just limited to vidz users and I think might be easier targeted than a much larger network where vidz content could hide among much other. My biggest concern is privacy with easy to track direct connections torrents have. Unfortunately I'm only mostly aware of storj and sia and not ipfs/swarm so far. I have little trust for ethereum security and sia is a design praised by extremely difficult to please cryptographers including fluffypony with data sharding and everything. The beauty there is that the network would be only small part of larger network, the files are not only encrypted but broken up in nonsense pieces among many upload providers giving them plausible deniability of knowing they were complicit in something illegal. Ok, last comment. I'm stupidly super excited about this. I thought I'd have to code this myself, but I'd rather just be a user. I wish you the best of luck and fortune.
Pure_Vidz (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 01:44:24 AM

our primary source of content for personal videos, i.e. vlogs, personal recordings, etc.

so, PureVidz is not just going to be movies and series?

you guys are going even further than that?

Yes the scope of our project was never just movies and TV although its a great starting place to gain traction in terms of a user base and community.

One more comment - does this mean the ipfs traffic on this would be limited to people providing content? I dont know if it's an issue for safety that this ipfs would be just limited to vidz users and I think might be easier targeted than a much larger network where vidz content could hide among much other. My biggest concern is privacy with easy to track direct connections torrents have. Unfortunately I'm only mostly aware of storj and sia and not ipfs/swarm so far. I have little trust for ethereum security and sia is a design praised by extremely difficult to please cryptographers including fluffypony with data sharding and everything. The beauty there is that the network would be only small part of larger network, the files are not only encrypted but broken up in nonsense pieces among many upload providers giving them plausible deniability of knowing they were complicit in something illegal. Ok, last comment. I'm stupidly super excited about this. I thought I'd have to code this myself, but I'd rather just be a user. I wish you the best of luck and fortune.

Since our system is intended to support both WebTorrents and IPFS what format the uploader chooses is up to them. The reason we're making the changes we are is to basically under go a heavy test of IPFS with our current uploaders to see how it holds up. Whether they choose to keep uploading in that format or default back to WebTorrents is entirely up to them. We're not forcing anyone to comply. I'd mention you can run IPFS with a VPN. Just as we'd expect anyone submitting a web torrent to also be seeding their torrent, we'd expect anyone submitting an IPFS hash to be running a node seeding it / with the content pinned as well as such will be the typical standards of moderation approval in verifying if it works or not.

PureVidz is about providing meta data and useful indexing to arbitrary data on the web in this case WebTorrents (magnet links) and IPFS hashes although we're more specifically geared towards video based content.
Sourgummies

Activity: 728

Never ending parties are what Im into.

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 02:09:55 AM

Few quick questions. How easy is it to set up an ipfs node and will you include a tutorial on how to set one up?
scaryvirus

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 02:24:19 AM

Pure_Vidz, thanks for explanation. I didn't realize ipfs was based on hosting your own files instead of offloading them onto the network. I see the resemblance to torrents instead of decentralized dropbox links. I love the incentive structure based on bounties. I hope the test goes well, and eventually I can use links hosted by unknowing others instead of me just due to the fact of the encryption and distribution of fragments of files making the use of vpn not necessary and doesn't require running a host for prolonged periods of time after initial upload for a low effort contributor. Exciting times.
bittrojan

Activity: 602

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 02:46:39 AM

Hello everyone,

Thanks.

Ok I just read up on IPFS and am wondering if the plan will be to include any other file sharing protocols like sia or any others that might sprout up later.

ICO investor. Miner. Bagholder Extraordinaire!
Pure_Vidz (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 02:48:28 AM

Few quick questions. How easy is it to set up an ipfs node and will you include a tutorial on how to set one up?

It's pretty simple, IPFS already provides an indepth tutorial for this:
https://ipfs.io/docs/getting-started/

Their tutorial works fine on both OSX, Linux and Windows from my testing.

Pure_Vidz, thanks for explanation. I didn't realize ipfs was based on hosting your own files instead of offloading them onto the network. I see the resemblance to torrents instead of decentralized dropbox links. I love the incentive structure based on bounties. I hope the test goes well, and eventually I can use links hosted by unknowing others instead of me just due to the fact of the encryption and distribution of fragments of files making the use of vpn not necessary and doesn't require running a host for prolonged periods of time after initial upload for a low effort contributor. Exciting times.

It's very much like Torrenting and infact it's built on similar technology. People can actively choose what content they continue to seed by "pinning" a file hash, otherwise for example a simple test is seed an image or video or something onto the IPFS network for about 24h, then drop your node. The file will still be accessible for quite some. To my understanding, if nobody has the file pinned the file which in Torrenting terms think of this as explicitly choosing to seed the file rather than being a leecher it's possible for a file to die. By default, when you upload content to the network yourself that content is pinned to your node thus even if other nodes don't have your content pinned and it became inactive and purged during garbage collection the other nodes will be able to pick up your file again because there's at least one node with the content pinned (you).

When you upload a file to the network and get its IPFS file hash, it's pretty much instantly accessible from gateway nodes other than your own and you can verify this by checking if you can access the file on the default gateway which is gateway.ipfs.io and content that is constantly being requested won't bombard solely you because other nodes pick up file due to recent activity.
Sourgummies

Activity: 728

Never ending parties are what Im into.

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 03:05:27 AM

It's pretty simple, IPFS already provides an indepth tutorial for this:
https://ipfs.io/docs/getting-started/

Their tutorial works fine on both OSX, Linux and Windows from my testing.

Thanks dev. Im going to look into it more tomorrow night but as long as people can still submit torrents I think this is a great idea.

Oh yeah. And maybe once the transition to both is complete you can add ipfs to the title of the thread because it will garner a lot of attention I think and that's good for all of us.
ACAB

Activity: 636

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 03:17:38 AM

With this new update today its looking like Vidz is going back above 200 sat soon and probably much higher this time. Anyone have some TA or price predictions they care to share?  Wink
bittrojan

Activity: 602

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 03:25:47 AM

With this new update today its looking like Vidz is going back above 200 sat soon and probably much higher this time. Anyone have some TA or price predictions they care to share?  Wink

The update I don't think was needed for that, people have been buying and trying to buy for days if you been paying attention. This is the start of people recognizing vidz as a worth while investment and putting their money where their mouth is. Exciting times are coming soon. I cant wait to see the updated ui but now with this IPFS we'll have a new ui filled with movies and many ways to upload them.

ICO investor. Miner. Bagholder Extraordinaire!
plost24

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 03:46:49 AM

can I run ipfs on my home computer if I wanted to host a node?

For rent 1.4 Bitcoin for 11 months starting Feb 1 2017
debtstack

Activity: 154

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 04:04:27 AM

Yes, as long as it isn't an ancient computer it should be good.

I'm actually not that happy about the transition. The setup for ipfs is going to lose some people. Not only that but you are switching from a beta interface in webtorrent to an alpha interface with ipfs.

I'm not sure about it. Maybe after I get over the initial headache of having to use the terminal again for something, ill begrudgingly go along with it. Maybe it will be good.  Undecided
milly6
Legendary

Activity: 1632
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2017, 04:05:27 AM

What does a coin have to do with downloading torrents? the point of torrents is that they are free.. if you want to "invest" in videos or video games, just buy them lol

Eyes open, No Fear. Be Safe! Trinity: Currency Without Bias
dukeneptun
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 04:35:52 AM

What does a coin have to do with downloading torrents? the point of torrents is that they are free.. if you want to "invest" in videos or video games, just buy them lol

is spamming all you can do? I'm not just talking about this post in particular but all the ones you've recently made. it's clear you've not read the OP where your questions are quite literally answered..

i've not looked into this ipfs thing so it sounds kind of cool and looks pretty easy to set up. i know I've definitely seen it mentioned before because i see people in Etherum make the comparison between Swarm and IPFS all the time. looking forward to seeing how it all pans out in a few days, looks like the news anyways has had some positive effects on the market.

also, dynamic index nice job on the front end any chance of us seeing some early demos of how it'll look on the web instead of just screenshots? maybe u can put up ur work on a temp site or something
plost24

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 04:55:13 AM

I'm actually not that happy about the transition. The setup for ipfs is going to lose some people. Not only that but you are switching from a beta interface in webtorrent to an alpha interface with ipfs.

I'm not sure about it. Maybe after I get over the initial headache of having to use the terminal again for something, ill begrudgingly go along with it. Maybe it will be good.  Undecided

Its not that old but it is a P3. I think I should be good so I'll give it a try tomorrow. And dont get yourself down. They are not shutting one door, they are opening both. The more inclusive the devs are the more users we will gain.

For rent 1.4 Bitcoin for 11 months starting Feb 1 2017
Pure_Vidz (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 05:27:24 AM
Last edit: January 25, 2017, 05:45:11 AM by Pure_Vidz

I'm not sure about it. Maybe after I get over the initial headache of having to use the terminal again for something, ill begrudgingly go along with it. Maybe it will be good.  Undecided

I'm not sure if there was a misunderstanding but let me try to reword some of what I said again so everyone is on the same page...

We're not abandoning WebTorrent support. Tomorrow, we are adding support for IPFS which will require some downtime to to transition and test things. We've contacted those who've been heavy uploaders of our platform and are working with them to have their content pulled off the site in the WebTorrent format and reuploaded in IPFS format. We expect most the content to be removed and replaced in the secondary format hence why we said there will be essentially a purge... the reason we're doing this is to test the scalability of IPFS in our infrastructure.

Suppose you were one of those people we contacted, you can simply refuse us and say "Sorry Pure_Vidz, I don't want to take this particular video down" or even "Sorry, too lazy" and that's fine, we're not forcing anyone to comply! After these changes content will uploadable in both WebTorrent and IPFS format.

For people who simply want to use the site rather than actually upload things these changes will greatly improve your over all experience.
debtstack

Activity: 154

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 05:43:53 AM

I'm not sure about it. Maybe after I get over the initial headache of having to use the terminal again for something, ill begrudgingly go along with it. Maybe it will be good.  Undecided

I'm not sure if there was a misunderstanding but let me try to reword some of what I said again so everyone is on the same page...

We're not abandoning WebTorrent support. Tomorrow, we are adding support for IPFS which will require some downtime to to transition and test things. We've contacted those who've been heavy uploaders of our platform and are working with them to have their content pulled off the site in the WebTorrent format and reuploaded in IPFS format. We expect most the content to be removed and replaced in the secondary format hence why we said there will be essentially a purge... the reason we're doing this is to test the scalability of IPFS in our infrastructure.

Suppose you were one of those people we contacted, you can simply refuse us and say "Sorry Pure_Vidz, I don't want to take this particular video down" or even "Sorry, too lazy" and that's fine, we're not forcing anyone to comply! After these changes content will uploadable in both WebTorrent and IPFS format.

For people who simply want to use the site rather than actually upload things these changes will greatly improve your over all experience.

I was basically saying I was part of the "sorry, too lazy" category. But I'm just tired right now. Tomorrow I'll probably do the whole setup and be ready to reupload.
Pages: « 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 [135] 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 ... 344 »
  Print  

Jump to: