Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:07:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is with the sudden decline in BTC value?  (Read 2299 times)
peacepcf

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 04:26:31 AM

Hows the difficulty right now? Something's wrong with my miner or its ridiculously high, at 600m/hash on slushs pool since I switched to api.bitcoin.cz, I have not gained any bitcoins. Sorry for asking here, but I can't post in slushs thread.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vivithemage

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 04:49:20 AM

major spikes, I hope it normalizes soon.

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
Free Distribution! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
penta

Activity: 105
Merit: 12

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 05:29:43 AM

people freaking out, not looking at it longterm
Karen Palen

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 05:42:01 AM

My assumption would be the following chain of events:

1st - New people exposed through media want in right now, yields High Demand
2nd - People with already comfortable positions in Bitcoin seize opportunity and sell at premium.
3rd - Same New people who bought at the top, probably on impulse, decide it's not worth it and sell.
4th - Sell off creates doubt, doubt becomes fear, fear leads to "Panic" - more people start to sell.

I would agree with all of your observations and add a couple of my own:

1) ALL "currency" (even Gold) is based on some sort of religious (in the technical sense) faith and the resultant "belief" that others share the same belief in the value of whatever.

As a professor of mine observed many years ago: "I will give you a bag of gold coins then sit you outside in the snow for a couple of hours with no clothes. Lets see how long it is before the entire bag of gold is worth trading for a $2 blanket!

2) A truism in any market - what goes UP fast will also come DOWN fast.

3) Fools rush in where angels fear to tread! NEVER NEVER invest money into ANY venture that you cannot afford to lose! NEVER!  Undecided

and finally:

4) Bitcoin is VERY immature and wherever there is big money there will also be big time thieves - as we are seeing with the Trojan attack.

It is not fun to watch (even less to be victimized), but it is the only way to really work out the security holes. I am old enough to remember when most banks did not even bother with a password on their 300 baud modem link because "no one could possibly duplicate that ..." Yes it was a LONG time ago - before even "Captain Crunch Whistles"!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: