Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:14:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet encryption backup  (Read 862 times)
Myrddindc (OP)

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 10:14:49 AM

Hi,

Newbie question here:

I have chosen the option in bitcoin-qt to encrypt my wallet.dat file.

I have used a reasonably good password (20+ charachters, upper lower numeric punctuation etc.)

Is this wallet safe to backup in say dropbox without extra precautions?

The question really is does bitcoin-qt do a good enough job of encrypting my wallet.dat files private keys?

Thanks!

MyrddinDC

Newbie gratefully accepting donations to get started: (hoping to buy a causacius real bitcoin to better demonstrate to friends/family):  1FLc17px3riPeERGPWtiWmGxLfKjv1CCgP

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 11:23:46 AM

It depends on what your concerns are.

The encryption built into the wallet only encrypts the private keys.  The addresses are still stored unencrypted. So if you don't trust dropbox to keep the file secure, then you need to decide whether you care if anybody knows what addresses are in that wallet.dat file.

If your only concern is the private keys (ensuring that nobody can spend the bitcoins), then yes, it does a good enough job of encrypting them (as long as your password isn't likely to come up in a rainbow table or brute-force search.
Myrddindc (OP)

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 11:26:17 AM

Thanks Danny!

My password is a non dictionary mess of letters and numbers so I hope it wouldn't be in a rainbow table.

I was only concerned with protecting my bitcoins. Should i be concerned about the public keys, and the fact that they are in this wallet.dat?

Thanks again!

Myrddin.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 01:17:39 PM

I was only concerned with protecting my bitcoins. Should i be concerned about the public keys, and the fact that they are in this wallet.dat?
As long as your wallet is encrypted with a good password, nobody else can spend your bitcoins, if that's what you're worried about. However, they can still see exactly how many bitcoins you have, where they came from, and where you're spending them. If you do not want others to have this information, you must encrypt your wallet again with a third-party encryption program before you upload it anywhere.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
arsy

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 10:34:43 AM

I would also be cautious about the computer you're using to create the wallet, for example: key loggers or spyware.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: