Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 02:14:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newb Questions on; Bitcoin-QT Client / Server, wallets, Calculator  (Read 529 times)
Protagonus (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 02:54:37 AM
Last edit: April 08, 2013, 03:34:42 AM by Protagonus

Hiya all, great site here.  Suppose I'm now with the larger group now investigating bitcoins more intently.  Upon reading up on this recently; I realized that I HAD looked into mining briefly a couple years ago.  Believe I turned away at that time from low value (I know, tend to have bad timing like that). 
To try not rambling I'll get to some questions; I'm having trouble finding.   If there's a post already covering this, could you please refer me?

1.  I DL'ed and synced the Bitcoin-QT client.  I DID encrypt and have backed that wallet up (0 btc).  I then tried starting the -server; I noted a NEW sync and my one pre-made address was different.  This worried me, so I shut off server and went to normal client.  Shows encrypted and sync'ed.   I then checked AppData to see there is still ONE copy of wallet.DAT.
Questions:
-Does the QT client AND sever both SHARE a single wallet? 
-will there be conflicts to this? 
-Should I run client wallet on a separate PC than server?

2. In order to see if my client was working I've generated, copied and pasted an address to a couple faucets (.0001 or something).  My hope is to see some sort of transaction to confirm I'm doing it right.  None so far though.
Questions:
- Do I generate a new address for every transaction to receive?
- Is using faucets a good way to see if I'm setup correctly?  (as no transactions shown in yet)

3.  I note people using / suggesting calculators and have plugged in some Mh/s numbers to see they payout in coin or dollars per day.
Question:
- Are these calculators figuring payout in a Pool?
- If someone is solo, am I correct that they award these coin blocks, not partial units?

Sorry to ramble, I'm sorry for super noob questions as well.  I'm sure I'll have many more; but am trying to read what I can.

Thanks for any help one can offer

EDIT: removed question on bitinstant as I found support thread for it

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Protagonus (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:36:12 PM

sorry to bump;  I've been looking online for answers to some of these and still not found.  Could anyone possibly help on a couple of these. 
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Protagonus
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: