Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:45:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bet: We will not see single digit bitcoin price in 2013.  (Read 2751 times)
alexh

Activity: 183
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 11:50:34 AM

If it ever goes below $10/BTC then I'm buying up 1,000 - 10,000 BTC's, or even 100,000 BTC if price is low enough.

BTC isn't going away.

Same goes for like thousands of other people Smiley
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 11:53:38 AM

For those who remember how Matthew's 10k BTC (or more? I don't remember) bet went without escrow I encourage you all to use escrow for the bet.

If nobody learned anything from that prank, that will truly make me sad. Also, this bet is unfair to anyone but the person making it.

@OP: Use bitbet or something. The forum is not an efficient place to do this. I would implore everyone to use a trusted escrow.

chiropteran

Activity: 348
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 12:11:44 PM

This is extremely unfair. If you lose, your maximum loss is 9.9999USD per bet. If you win, your maximum gain is infinity

How is it unfair?  The bears are SURE value will crash to single digits.  1 BTC for a sure thing is free money.  There is no risk of losing because they are positive value will crash.  Just ask proudhorn.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 12:14:39 PM

This is extremely unfair. If you lose, your maximum loss is 9.9999USD per bet. If you win, your maximum gain is infinity

How is it unfair?  The bears are SURE value will crash to single digits.  1 BTC for a sure thing is free money.  There is no risk of losing because they are positive value will crash.  Just ask proudhorn.

I don't know about proudhon, but I never said that. I'm sure it will crash, but whenever that is from 190 to 3, 9001 to 100 or 500 to 1 I just don't know.

That's the nature of hyperbolic bubbles you just don't know where it ends.
mp420

Activity: 501

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:21:11 PM

I see single digits as a possibility, not as a certainty. And I think it's possible that the bottom is extended to 2014, so that we may see single digits but not until next year.

Anyway, the odds do not make sense.
wopwop

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:22:08 PM

I see single digits as a possibility, not as a certainty. And I think it's possible that the bottom is extended to 2014, so that we may see single digits but not until next year.

i see god showing up from behind the clouds to say bitcoin is our salvation as a possibility too
mp420

Activity: 501

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:24:15 PM

i see god showing up from behind the clouds to say bitcoin is our salvation as a possibility too

Frankly I think many people on this forum are thinking this is going to happen.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 12:25:17 PM

You are unusually obnoxious, and registered recently... come on who's sockpuppet are you?
oakpacific (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:25:30 PM

For those who remember how Matthew's 10k BTC (or more? I don't remember) bet went without escrow I encourage you all to use escrow for the bet.

If nobody learned anything from that prank, that will truly make me sad. Also, this bet is unfair to anyone but the person making it.

@OP: Use bitbet or something. The forum is not an efficient place to do this. I would implore everyone to use a trusted escrow.

It may sound unfair, but I also take a risk of paying out dearly if the price truly goes below $10, and the number of people betting against me is great.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
oakpacific (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:30:34 PM

How is it unfair?  The bears are SURE value will crash to single digits.  1 BTC for a sure thing is free money.  There is no risk of losing because they are positive value will crash.  Just ask proudhorn.

I don't know about proudhon, but I never said that. I'm sure it will crash, but whenever that is from 190 to 3, 9001 to 100 or 500 to 1 I just don't know.

I remember you said something about BTC $4, LTC $1, and XRP $10 in 2014, not sure how serious you were though.

wopwop

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:30:53 PM

You are unusually obnoxious, and registered recently... come on who's sockpuppet are you?
you are hurting my feelings
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 12:31:26 PM

It may sound unfair, but I also take a risk of paying out dearly if the price truly goes below $10, and the number of people betting against me is great.

How about betting something neutral, like a small gold coin?
oakpacific (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:32:37 PM

How about betting something neutral, like a small gold coin?

Underpants are more neutral than gold coins IMHO.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 12:32:51 PM

I remember you said something about BTC $4, LTC $1, and XRP $10 in 2014, not sure how serious you were though.

Yes that were some broad assumptions, I wouldn't bet on it though.
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:53:01 PM

It's not going to go down nearly that much, I would say $25 at the lowest.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
superside

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:58:00 PM

Unfair odds, even 100>1 I still wouldn't bet against the op since I agree.
e4xit

Activity: 302

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 03:22:26 PM

Why don't you agree to pay opposing betters $10 each (in USD) if value travels below $10 before 00:00 GMT Jan 01 2014, and if it doesn't they pay you 1BTC each.

This way you are offering to pay them in the currency they believe to have more value, and they are offering to pay you in the currency you believe will have more value...

If the value of 1BTC is less than $10 (at any point) then they as winners will be cashing out "ahead" (with higher value than 1BTC), if not then you as winner will cash out "ahead" (with whatever value of 1BTC).  Wink

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.
oakpacific (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 02:47:56 AM

As I expected, no bear wants to accept my troll bet. When they need to put their money where their month is they start to get serious with things like odds and lose confidence with their "single digits" prediction, it's all fine, but hopefully they can also keep that in mind next time they start spouting "doom and gloom" bullshit again.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 03:09:08 AM

As I expected, no bear wants to accept my troll bet. When they need to put their money where their month is they start to get serious with things like odds and lose confidence with their "single digits" prediction, it's all fine, but hopefully they can also keep that in mind next time they start spouting "doom and gloom" bullshit again.

Ah the "put your money where your mouth is" fallacy. I tried that one with my bet too, but even I know it's bullshit. Some people just don't gamble, or they don't have money.

oakpacific (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 03:10:35 AM

Ah the "put your money where your mouth is" fallacy. I tried that one with my bet too, but even I know it's bullshit. Some people just don't gamble, or they don't have money.

I wonder why do they keep fooling around in the "Speculation" subforum then... Roll Eyes

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: