Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:07:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it time someone defined "The Blockchain"?  (Read 852 times)
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 16, 2016, 10:55:43 PM

"blockchain" isn't really a technology, it's just a simple sequential file with linking between adjacent records.

Have you looked in your Bitcoin core data folder? It is not implemented as a sequential file there.

But I do agree that people should realize that Bitcoin is not synonymous as Blockchain. This is obvious from the fact that shit coins also use blockchain technology.

Well clearly any shitcoin could even fork from bitcoins if they wanted to. That's even a bitcoin blockchain in a sense.
here is mine

blockchain is not an end product. its just an engine
btc is a car that uses an engine. and runs on a open road network
hyperledger is a cross-state lines train that uses an engine. and runs on a corporate rail network

My issue is I think that the "blockchain" is an end product only designed to facilitate a specific need.
That need is what Bitcoin wanted to originally do and currently does, which is many different things.
Currently, people are attempting to place "blockchain" into things that don't have a need.
This has led to the expansion of the definition of "blockchain", IMO.

Ultimately, I don't think there is any purpose to use "blockchain" outside of unregulatable things.

Like what? I'm not following what you're saying blockchains are being used for. All I've seen is banks making regulated & centralized blockchains for their currency they already have.

Anything you can imagine.
I have heard of people wanting to do deeds and wills, to produce, package deliveries, jewelry, etc.
You could "blockchain" anything you wanted in theory, doesn't need to be only currency.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cpfreeplz
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1042

View Profile
December 16, 2016, 11:03:25 PM

"blockchain" isn't really a technology, it's just a simple sequential file with linking between adjacent records.

Have you looked in your Bitcoin core data folder? It is not implemented as a sequential file there.

But I do agree that people should realize that Bitcoin is not synonymous as Blockchain. This is obvious from the fact that shit coins also use blockchain technology.

Well clearly any shitcoin could even fork from bitcoins if they wanted to. That's even a bitcoin blockchain in a sense.
here is mine

blockchain is not an end product. its just an engine
btc is a car that uses an engine. and runs on a open road network
hyperledger is a cross-state lines train that uses an engine. and runs on a corporate rail network

My issue is I think that the "blockchain" is an end product only designed to facilitate a specific need.
That need is what Bitcoin wanted to originally do and currently does, which is many different things.
Currently, people are attempting to place "blockchain" into things that don't have a need.
This has led to the expansion of the definition of "blockchain", IMO.

Ultimately, I don't think there is any purpose to use "blockchain" outside of unregulatable things.

Like what? I'm not following what you're saying blockchains are being used for. All I've seen is banks making regulated & centralized blockchains for their currency they already have.

Anything you can imagine.
I have heard of people wanting to do deeds and wills, to produce, package deliveries, jewelry, etc.
You could "blockchain" anything you wanted in theory, doesn't need to be only currency.

"Well our prenup on the blockchain says she doesn't get half of my shit or visiting rights with my dog your Honor."

"That checks out. I see it right here on May 5th, 2014 at block 150385. Next time use paper lady! You can lose that stuff!
Court adjourned!"

"Delivery for... I C Weiner? Aw crud. I'll see who added this to the Blockchain and ream them out..."

I guess people can do what they want with the open source blockchain lol.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: