Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:25:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you ever wondered how fast Google's ad program thingy works? This fast!  (Read 239 times)
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 09:00:37 AM
Last edit: January 10, 2017, 05:48:58 PM by Gleb Gamow

I just visited thesaurus.com to check the spelling of a word. To view the results, I placed my cursor in the white space below the banner ad where I normally place it, then click so to enable scrolling. A faction of a second prior to clicking, the banner ad expanded to ~3/4 times its size, resulting in me to inadvertently click the ad, whereupon the corresponding website opened in a new [Chrome] tab revealing some obscure product/service I've never encountered before and had no interest in learning about, thus immediately closed the tab, returning to Thesaurus.

Not even thirty seconds later, I was on YouTube checking out a video when loo and behold, in the right-hand corner of the page where ads are normally placed I see an ad for the same site I was just on for no more than two seconds, an ad for a product line that is in no way related to the YouTube video I was about to enjoy.

I'm curious as to how much my two seconds of time visiting the site and now will be presented to me via Google adsense network countless times in the coming days is gonna cost them that particular advertiser due to me simply viewing the ad as I visit myriad websites, again, during the next several days.

Edited (strikethrough) due to the first reply's comment which I quoted to reply.
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
exscudo

Activity: 668
Merit: 257

Nextgen Financial Ecosystem

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2017, 11:44:21 AM

The problem is that it's not Google who pays for these views, it's the advertiser - the brand. And Google, as well as the reseller agencies, just makes money on this kind of stuff.
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 05:55:07 PM

The problem is that it's not Google who pays for these views, it's the advertiser - the brand. And Google, as well as the reseller agencies, just makes money on this kind of stuff.

My bad for not making it clear that it's the advertiser who may have to pay for my views, not Google (OP has been editing reflecting such). TBC, the intent of this thread is to express how quickly Google's proprietary algorithm is as it relates to its advertising program, coupled with it's not spot-on as I, and am sure others have witnessed in the past during their cruising-the-wew experiences.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: