Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:05:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 2035 2036 2037 2038 2039 2040 2041 2042 2043 2044 2045 2046 2047 2048 2049 2050 2051 2052 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 2061 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 [2076] 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 2112 2113 2114 2115 2116 2117 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 2124 2125 2126 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049421 times)
hawkfish007

Activity: 895
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 05:00:33 PM

Just wanted to share my experience after watching the YouTube video, I went ahead and ordered copper heatsinks and GC-Extreme paste from amazon, they were delivered within a day. I cut the metal bar further to allow me to install individual heatsinks on all 8 DC-DC modules. BTW, I replaced the stock fans with Noctua earlier. What an improvement, this cube would never run over 281 MHz, now it's been running at 325 MHz for over 24 hours. I see DC-DC temp as high as 86 but never 90, as I set that as my max temp on GenTarkin's mod. Cutting the metal bar was a pain though specially for the front 4 DC-DC modules.

For quality risers, splitters or 133 CFM fans, please visit my eBay listings,
http://www.ebay.com/sch/hawkfish007/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TXSteve

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 05:43:45 PM

Just wanted to share my experience after watching the YouTube video, I went ahead and ordered copper heatsinks and GC-Extreme paste from amazon, they were delivered within a day. I cut the metal bar further to allow me to install individual heatsinks on all 8 DC-DC modules. BTW, I replaced the stock fans with Noctua earlier. What an improvement, this cube would never run over 281 MHz, now it's been running at 325 MHz for over 24 hours. I see DC-DC temp as high as 86 but never 90, as I set that as my max temp on GenTarkin's mod. Cutting the metal bar was a pain though specially for the front 4 DC-DC modules.

congrats,  I found I never had to do those front 4 because they always ran pretty cool. I  did  vrms 1-4 if they were running hot.  I made it thru all summer in the south Texas heat running at 325 MHz, and 19 days without even a bfg restart, woulda gone longer but I had to edit the config file, lol
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 06:26:19 PM

Thanks for sharing. What were the DC/DC temps before the mod? Lower or higher?
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 06:26:37 PM

Do you have any stats on before / after temps of the DCDC's u modded the cooling for? At the same speeds?

I really want to see the results of the mod before / after, thats key to seeing if this is all pointless or not.
Also, I would really love to know if sinking the E piece rather than hacking it all apart is adaquate to cool down the VRMs or not. I cant imagine much heat getting through those thick thermal pads, but w/o actual numbers to compare ... its all fucking guesswork lol!

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
hawkfish007

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 06:46:17 PM

Do you have any stats on before / after temps of the DCDC's u modded the cooling for? At the same speeds?

I really want to see the results of the mod before / after, thats key to seeing if this is all pointless or not.
Also, I would really love to know if sinking the E piece rather than hacking it all apart is adaquate to cool down the VRMs or not. I cant imagine much heat getting through those thick thermal pads, but w/o actual numbers to compare ... its all fucking guesswork lol!

I should have documented it, but as far as I remember cube was running over 90C and your mod kept lowering hash rate until it found acceptable rate at which temp will stay below 90 which was 281. Below is a screenshot of 2 cubes. Cube 1 was modified and currently running at 325 MHz, cube 2 always run at 300 MHz, haven't tried 325 yet but I will soon. Other 2 cubes are in the process of modification, waiting on USPS to deliver heatsinks and thermal compound from Amazon any time now. Ambient temp is 81F in my garage. So I would say that individual heatsinks were able to lower temp for my setup.

TXSteve

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 06:51:07 PM

you can't sink the E piece, it's down as far as it will go. Take out the thermal pads & there is a 1/4 in gap.  I did find a 1/4 in copper heatsink that fits right in there and they do work better than the thermal pads, but not as good as the 1/2in heatsinks with epoxy which will drop the temp a good 10-15c

-- and don't forget to scrape off the sticker on top of vrms it'll work even better
hawkfish007

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 07:01:50 PM

you can't sink the E piece, it's down as far as it will go. Take out the thermal pads & there is a 1/4 in gap.  I did find a 1/4 in copper heatsink that fits right in there and they do work better than the thermal pads, but not as good as the 1/2in heatsinks with epoxy which will drop the temp a good 10-15c

Do you know how DC-DC connections are numbered? The front 4s are staying low with individual heatsinks, I took out the adhesive back from one of the heatsink and applied thermal compound for the 1st DC-DC on the right after the 1st row of 4. I see that 1 of the DC-DC is 5C lower, was wondering if thermal compound is more efficient. 

TXSteve

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 07:11:25 PM
Last edit: October 19, 2015, 05:44:41 AM by TXSteve

you can't sink the E piece, it's down as far as it will go. Take out the thermal pads & there is a 1/4 in gap.  I did find a 1/4 in copper heatsink that fits right in there and they do work better than the thermal pads, but not as good as the 1/2in heatsinks with epoxy which will drop the temp a good 10-15c

Do you know how DC-DC connections are numbered? The front 4s are staying low with individual heatsinks, I took out the adhesive back from one of the heatsink and applied thermal compound for the 1st DC-DC on the right after the 1st row of 4. I see that 1 of the DC-DC is 5C lower, was wondering if thermal compound is more efficient.  

Arctic silver makes a 2 part thermal epoxy, that works better than the adhesive .. I don't think thermal compound will hold it very well. With the epoxy you need to clamp the heatsink in position for an hour. You can buy spring clamps at ace or Walmart that work well. If I only had to drop it a few degrees I went with the adhesive like you did. If I needed more I went with the thermal epoxy
NOTE: thermal epoxy is permanent & only to be used with the little 1/2in  copper heatsinks. Don't use it between the asics and the big KNC heatsink. If in doubt try the adhesive backing first

on the pcb the dc-dc are labeled U1-U8
on the advanced settings they are labeled dc-dc 0-7  ...  so if dc-dc zero in settings is running hot, put the heat sink on U1

-- that's what I did, maybe I should make a video and charge for it  Smiley
GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 07:32:26 PM

-- and don't forget to scrape off the sticker on top of vrms it'll work even better

You can definitely sink the E piece, throw some heatsinks from ebay on top of it.  That would dramatically increase the surface area of that E piece and probably cool the VRM's a lot better.

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
TXSteve

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 07:42:47 PM
Last edit: October 18, 2015, 08:00:04 PM by TXSteve

You can definitely sink the E piece, throw some heatsinks from ebay on top of it.  That would dramatically increase the surface area of that E piece and probably cool the VRM's a lot better.

ohhhh, that's an idea, worth a try but I don't think those thermal pads conduct much heat up to the e plate, and U1-U4 usually need a lot of add'l cooling(when they need it), might work on U5-U8. Cutting e plate for U1-U4 isn't hard, only takes a couple min with a hacksaw, cutting it for U5-U8 looks like a real pain, but I never had to do it
GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 08:10:30 PM

You can definitely sink the E piece, throw some heatsinks from ebay on top of it.  That would dramatically increase the surface area of that E piece and probably cool the VRM's a lot better.

ohhhh, that's an idea, worth a try but I don't think those thermal pads conduct much heat up to the e plate, and U1-U4 usually need a lot of add'l cooling(when they need it), might work on U5-U8. Cutting e plate for U1-U4 isn't hard, only takes a couple min with a hacksaw, cutting it for U5-U8 looks like a real pain, but I never had to do it

Well, I had vegasguy take a temp measurement of the top of the E piece and side of the inductor on a VRM, they were within 5C of each other ... So, I think those thermal pads are transferring heat quite well. It may be worth a shot to add more surface area(sink the top) of the E piece. It would be like the easiest mod one could do, and if it works good... then great!

TXSteve

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 08:19:10 PM

Well, I had vegasguy take a temp measurement of the top of the E piece and side of the inductor on a VRM, they were within 5C of each other ... So, I think those thermal pads are transferring heat quite well. It may be worth a shot to add more surface area(sink the top) of the E piece. It would be like the easiest mod one could do, and if it works good... then great!

worth a try, let us know how it works out
TXSteve

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 10:27:19 PM

Here're the instruction for applying artic silver thermal compound :

http://www.arcticsilver.com/amd_application_method.html#

there're 2 ways to do it, Center Dot & Surface Spread, all ways recommend using a creditcard to tint first. Surface spread recommends a cc or razor blade to spread it. Center Dot recommends a dot the size of an uncooked grain of rice(If you think that's enough in this application, go for it, but be prepared to be disappointed).

Somewhere in there it also recommends to spread the paste into the copper pipe cracks if any, to fill any voids.  Also notice that there is a break in period of up to 200 hours, where  it'll take multiple thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction, (results will improve over time). A thermal cycle is an on/off, heating/cooling cycle, but we never turn ours off so it may take longer than 200 hours to obtain max efficiency

Searing if you're feeling ambitious take a look at the intel instructions, there they have 2 add'l methods vertical line & horizontal line, however I really don't think they apply here, just if you're curious  Smiley
GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 12:26:17 AM

worth a try, let us know how it works out

I dont have a titan, not sure if vegasguy is up to it, will see haha!

Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 01:49:09 AM

Only if you actually release it!  Tongue
TXSteve

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 02:36:12 AM
Last edit: October 19, 2015, 03:09:48 AM by TXSteve

Of course I'd release it, eventually Smiley

But hey, I put a lot of work into these titans since last spring, mostly building on teslamans mods in this thread. The little copper heatsinks on the dc-dc and cutting the eplate that we're talking about today, started with teslaman many months ago, it's not new info. I didn't pay for his generous advice so I am not really looking for compensation. I had a head start because I knew it would be a real challenge getting them thru this south texas heat, and general tarkins mod was a huge help in automating things, like monitoring temps and die failures.

Today the high was a refreshing 82f, so I should be good for another 9 mos or so, this is when it's nice down here
hawkfish007

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 04:14:12 AM

Of course I'd release it, eventually Smiley

But hey, I put a lot of work into these titans since last spring, mostly building on teslamans mods in this thread. The little copper heatsinks on the dc-dc and cutting the eplate that we're talking about today, started with teslaman many months ago, it's not new info. I didn't pay for his generous advice so I am not really looking for compensation. I had a head start because I knew it would be a real challenge getting them thru this south texas heat, and general tarkins mod was a huge help in automating things, like monitoring temps and die failures.

Today the high was a refreshing 82f, so I should be good for another 9 mos or so, this is when it's nice down here

I was able to run all 4 of my cubes at 325 MHz and gain a little over 60 MH by putting those small heatsinks on DC-DC modules and reapplying thermal compound to the big heat sink of 3 cubes. The 4th cube was able to run at 325 w/o any modification, it was running stable at 300 MHz and I didn't try 325 before since other cubes would not run at 300 for over 20 mins. Thanks for all the tips and link to YouTube mod video. If you are planning to do this, as TXSteve mentioned before don't forget to peel off the sticker on DC-DC, I forgot to take sticker off of 1 cube and it is running warmer than the other 2.

GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 04:02:31 PM

BTW, heres an interesting tidbit for yall, I think why many titans "dies end up dieing permanently" are infact because the DCDC modules burn out. After looking over the tech sheet, its easy to see why. If the ambient temp (surface temp of the inductor) reaches the 80-90's these are only rated for 25-30A to maintain their expected lifespan.
The fact some folks run them at these temps 24/7 and draw over 40A through them, its easy to see why the DCDC's would die ....

When vegas measured the temp of the inductor from the side, it measured about 55C , the webgui showed about just over 60C ... so there is a really small delta between the ambient temp & internal junction temp(webgui reading) of these DCDC's

Meaning, if ur webgui shows 90C area, the inductor is probably not far behind, most likely running in the low 80's ... which means nowhere near 40A should be pulled from the DCDC at that point.

hawkfish007

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 05:38:20 PM

BTW, heres an interesting tidbit for yall, I think why many titans "dies end up dieing permanently" are infact because the DCDC modules burn out. After looking over the tech sheet, its easy to see why. If the ambient temp (surface temp of the inductor) reaches the 80-90's these are only rated for 25-30A to maintain their expected lifespan.
The fact some folks run them at these temps 24/7 and draw over 40A through them, its easy to see why the DCDC's would die ....

When vegas measured the temp of the inductor from the side, it measured about 55C , the webgui showed about just over 60C ... so there is a really small delta between the ambient temp & internal junction temp(webgui reading) of these DCDC's

Meaning, if ur webgui shows 90C area, the inductor is probably not far behind, most likely running in the low 80's ... which means nowhere near 40A should be pulled from the DCDC at that point.

What would be the safest Maximum DCDC temp setting on advance page of your mod regardless of the ambient temp? I currently set it at 90 and all dies run at 325, should I lower it?

GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 07:01:49 PM

What would be the safest Maximum DCDC temp setting on advance page of your mod regardless of the ambient temp? I currently set it at 90 and all dies run at 325, should I lower it?

Ultimately its up to the user and their preferences of how long they want the machine to potentially last.
Its hard to answer ur question definitively due to so many environment variables & operating conditions between cubes.
What everyone needs is a laser temp reader to take temperature checks of the inductor on the DCDC modules while its hashing. If its true that the inductor is generally within 10C of the webgui stat then a SAFE MAX temp @ 40A is... between 70 & 75C, so webgui stat should no higher than 80-85C.

Whats interesting is with more airflow these DCDC's are rated for more current safely at any given temp, even if the temp is the same vs less/no airflow.

For example, temp of inductor 80C @ no airflow is safe up to 34A.  80C @ 2-3m/s of airflow is safe up to 40A
At 100C inductor temp: 20A safe for no airflow, 30A safe for 3m/s of airflow

Another facet of max life from DCDC's is keeping them at their rated 40A max or lower. I know most of mine in the titan @ 325mhz are at 40-41A ... which I imagine aint bad, but I think around 43A ur starting to really push it. The actual Current limiting function of the DCDC's kicks in at 46A

This is the life expectancy of the DCDC's given everything is within spec:
MTBF at 90% confidence level = 11.52 Mh

Pages: « 1 ... 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 2035 2036 2037 2038 2039 2040 2041 2042 2043 2044 2045 2046 2047 2048 2049 2050 2051 2052 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 2061 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 [2076] 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 2112 2113 2114 2115 2116 2117 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 2124 2125 2126 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: