Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:56:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 [456] 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049457 times)
demonmaestro

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Mining for the hell of it.

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 10:17:45 AM

another one that I can add is that the more powerful the linux controller will be the better will be for miner usability.
e.g. let say you want to add a vpn client (like  this one: http://www.ntop.org/products/n2n/) to monitor remotely your miner, I'd dare to say that you will have a higher probability to  succeed in case KnC have taken the BB black route

Okay however if they have a web/gui it may have the logs in it to help with said causes.

Feel Like Donating? bc1q0v5nfdejapffewu67gft7zw7zsmnfmmkt3lf02
Buy/Sell BitCoin & LiteCoin  Click here! | Looking for a great exchange? CoinBase Has you covered.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 10:28:29 AM

I stand corrected regarding the SO-DIMM.

fwiw I can say that I was sure they would have used the a SO-DIMM device developed by OrSoC...

That's my fault. I said they would be using their ORSoC SO-DIMM based on the fact they told me they were doing so at the open-day. I'll fire Marcus a mail, and see if he responds with the reason behind what ditching their own Linux based controller for the Beaglebone was. It's got to be cost, and/or performance related.

If I get a response, i'll share it here. Wink

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 10:31:26 AM

fwiw I can say that I was sure they would have used the a SO-DIMM device developed by OrSoC...

That's my fault. I said they would be using their ORSoC SO-DIMM based on the fact they told me they were doing so at the open-day. I'll fire Marcus a mail, and see if he responds with the reason behind what ditching their own Linux based controller for the Beaglebone was. It's got to be cost, and/or performance related.

don't worry bro and thanks for sending the email, and of course for sharing the response (if any)

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
vesperwillow

Activity: 616

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 11:19:13 AM

[12:06 AM]   Searing : although kncminer and others offerting regular credit card stuff etc plus paypal etc may have to be addressed by bfl someday ....people are (less monarch upgrades who are stuck ) are gonna be cautions on pre-orders from now on and use cc imhjo
[12:06 AM]   BFL_Josh : We'll see if they are still in business in 6 months.

I'm sure BFL will still be in the business of scamming n00bs in six months, which is sad.

It's kind of amazing he doesn't even believe it's possible for a company to just say what it's going to do, when it's going to do it, and then actually deliver.

I question if BFL will be open in a year's time to even be taking orders, though I'm sure they'll do their best to continue taking preorders from court even while sitting at their hearing. Enough complaints are piling up that it's reaching the right legal ears. More folks need to file official complaints to break the dam. Their entire production line has all but come to a halt over the past 13 days (minus a rig or two), and it's gotten even some stalwart BFL supporters worried.

Maybe I missed it, but there shouldn't be a bitbet on KNC delivering, it should be on how long until the folks at BFL are hauled off to court, and their location shut down.

vesperwillow

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 11:22:14 AM

Could be a really good move, especially for the HDMI-out as another member pointed out. This would definitely put this into a high class mining group. If I had money I'd order Jupiters haha, I love the simple/efficient design, and it seems like every change is always for the better. This is why I love working with engineers so much.. it's always an improvement.

merv77

Activity: 574

1.21 GIGA WATTS

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 11:25:46 AM

(asked also @KnC forum)

the miner will come with a beaglebone (0) or with a beaglebone black (1)?

sorry for being pedantic but I just want to be sure since the two are quite different in terms of spec

(0) http://beagleboard.org/Products/BeagleBone
(1) http://beagleboard.org/Products/BeagleBone%20Black

true but why should it really matter. as long as they work.. and get you a miner when they say they do is what matters!

sure you're right the main things is that the miner has to mine Tongue

but regarding your "why" this is one of the b/c :

If you have to troubleshoot network connection problems and need to see startup logs and/or change settings, then a keyboard and monitor will be important.

another one that I can add is that the more powerful the linux controller will be the better will be for miner usability.
e.g. let say you want to add a vpn client (like  this one: http://www.ntop.org/products/n2n/) to monitor remotely your miner, I'd dare to say that you will have a higher probability to  succeed in case KnC have taken the BB black route

either board would be fine, but I would prefer the "Beaglebone Black" just for convenience and would be cool to have monitor attached (even a 7 inch mini monitor) 24/7

with the "Beaglebone" not the "Black" version, it seems to have an "USB to virtual Ethernet" so you can connect directly through USB to configure and troubleshooting.

see link: http://beagleboard.org/Getting%20Started#step2

PS. would be wise to brush up on some basic Linux commands before getting your KnCminer.
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 11:50:29 AM

Okay, so that was quick:

"We wanted to provide more headroom to be able to push our chips beyond our current quoted performance approximations, and therefore we needed a faster processor.

/M"

btc_uzr

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

let's have some fun

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 12:01:22 PM

My theory is this: They won't announce anything. They'll simply start providing tracking numbers to customers. Let the customers spread the word like fire to a pinetree farm. That'll be the best announcement which could ever be made.

Paul Revere's ride would hold nothing compared to KNC customers screaming they have tracking numbers.

You had me at hello....this would be an awesome way to let the news drop.

We'll actually see our units hashing on our pool accounts before they send them.

I don't think so.

Remember they stated that they ship on the day of production.
Put in a tracking-number for a day1 order, then you'll see  'Shipping on day 1 of production'
for ex. http://i43.tinypic.com/29e6p8p.jpg (found via google)

They will tell us some days before they start shipping, to ensure everyone can take a day off in order to be at home when the postman rings the bell.

..and Thou shalt spread the coin in the name of cryptography for eternity
erschiessen

Activity: 322

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 12:52:09 PM

Okay, so that was quick:

"We wanted to provide more headroom to be able to push our chips beyond our current quoted performance approximations, and therefore we needed a faster processor.

/M"

Even faster...
Margins upon margins upon margins.

Under Promise.
Over Deliver.

Your Message Here
12KHW3i2Hamk1irY8b181N4vMXUnVYL1ah
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:06:19 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2013, 01:21:23 PM by DeathAndTaxes

either board would be fine, but I would prefer the "Beaglebone Black" just for convenience and would be cool to have monitor attached (even a 7 inch mini monitor) 24/7

The "non-black" version of BB is double the cost and they don't need any of the capabilities it brings.  I doubt they would use a $100 host when the $45 one fits their needs better.  Also notice in the KNC host photo there is no PMIC expansion connector (black rectangle) between the ethernet & power connectors.  That connector is present on the BB "standard" and not on the BB black.

KNC Host:

BeagleBone

BeagleBone Black

timmmers

Activity: 1176
Merit: 265

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:12:29 PM

Paypal just sent me an email about their policy update. https://cms.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/?&cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/upcoming_policies_full

Interesting stuff about payment protection changes in there.

Suspension of eligibility

We may suspend your eligibility for PayPal seller protection if, over the past 30 days:

the total monetary amount of “Buyer Returns” (being Chargebacks, Claims, and (as they relate to Unauthorised Payments only) Reversals) issued against your PayPal Account (no matter where the transaction takes place and whether on or outside of eBay) was equal to or greater than 1% of the total monetary amount of payments received in your PayPal Account during that 30 day period; and

at least 100 Buyer Returns were issued against your PayPal Account.

We will lift the suspension after 90 days, provided that, over the past 90 days:

the monetary amount of Buyer Returns issued against your PayPal Account was below 1% of the total monetary amount of payments received in your PayPal Account during that time; and

fewer than 300 Buyer Returns were issued against your PayPal Account.

We will notify you by e-mail if we suspend or lift the suspension of your eligibility for PayPal seller protection.

…

11.10 What are examples of items/transactions/cases that are not eligible for PayPal seller protection?

Intangible items, licenses for digital content, and services.

Items that you deliver (or are picked up) in person (except for items for which you received payment through the PayPal Location Based Payments Functionality).

Transactions made through Zong, Website Payment Pro (PayPal Direct Payment and Virtual Terminal).

Claims, Chargebacks and Reversals for Significantly Not as Described; and/ or claims filed directly with eBay.

PayPal Business Payments."

IS a rig that didn't get delivered on time because it doesn't yet exist "intangible"?

I'd imagine if BFL took PP there's going to be some problems over there, not so much here hopefully but it's good to know these changes to small print you rarely read before it becomes crucial I think.

▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀███▄▄
      ▄██▀▀          ▀▀██▄
     ██▀       ██       ▀██
    ██        ██          ██
   ██        ██   ██       ██
  ▐█▌       ██ ▄▄▄ ██      ▐█▌
  ██       ██  ███  ██      ██
  ▐█▌     ██         ██    ▐█▌
   ██    ██           ██   ██
    ██  ▀▀             ▀▀ ██
     ██▄                ▄██
      ▀██▄▄          ▄▄██▀
         ▀▀███▄▄▄▄███▀▀
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀
.Akoin

.ONE AFRICA. ONE KOIN..

█▀▀

█▄▄

▀▀█

▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

.TELEGRAM
vesperwillow

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:13:24 PM

My theory is this: They won't announce anything. They'll simply start providing tracking numbers to customers. Let the customers spread the word like fire to a pinetree farm. That'll be the best announcement which could ever be made.

Paul Revere's ride would hold nothing compared to KNC customers screaming they have tracking numbers.

We'll actually see our units hashing on our pool accounts before they send them.

I don't think so.

Put in a tracking-number for a day1 order, then you'll see  'Shipping on day 1 of production'

They will tell us some days before they start shipping, to ensure everyone can take a day off in order to be at home when the postman rings the bell.

I think it's likely they'll at least make sure the boxes connect to the pools and hash for a minute or 2 without HW errors. They're programming the mining info into the boxes prior to shipment, so I'd imagine it wouldn't take much more effort to test. Unless they're using SD cards or similar storage to hold the mining stuff, and someone will simply be doing that ala text file

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:19:15 PM

IS a rig that didn't get delivered on time because it doesn't yet exist "intangible"?

No the product being sold is tangible.  If it isn't delivered due to fraud that doesn't make it intangible.  Intangible product would be things like steam game code, virtual currency, webhosting, development work, etc.
btc_uzr

let's have some fun

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:39:36 PM

I don't think so.

I think it's likely they'll at least make sure the boxes connect to the pools and hash for a minute or 2 without HW errors. They're programming the mining info into the boxes prior to shipment, so I'd imagine it wouldn't take much more effort to test. Unless they're using SD cards or similar storage to hold the mining stuff, and someone will simply be doing that ala text file

They will test the boxes according to their statements.
I've never expected or mentioned anything else.

Just pointed out that you will get informed about the shipping date before you will see any activity in your pool account you provided to knc.
At least when they stick to their claim 'shipping on day of production'.

Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:52:43 PM

Paypal just sent me an email about their policy update. https://cms.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/?&cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/upcoming_policies_full

"The Butterfly Labs Effect" starring Ashton Kutcher as Josh Zerlan.

Coming soon to a theatre near you.
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:07:11 PM

Yeah, they've negotiated a bespoke agreement between Paypal though. They had to since the BFL debacle. This is why i've been saying it requires a lot of verification prior to accepting Paypal as a processor for ASIC manufacturers, and why the shady ones can't/won't attempt appeasing Paypal. It's the same with direct card payments. Someone here stated it was easy to set up a merchant account. Sure if you have products in stock, but not otherwise. It's taken KnC this long to flesh out an agreement with SEB. Presumably they now have they liquidity to do so. Again it's no mystery why other ASIC manufacturers won't, and it's presumably a huge part of KnC's underpromising, accountability relates to what you claim; so throwing simulated best cases scenarios and lying about delivery dates, then not delivering on them would get you in hot water.

As such, the general rules above don't apply, Paypal are fully aware of their pre-order business model, it's also why KnC will not uphold any reselling of pre-orders after the initial week, as Paypal don't want pre-order reselling om eBay. So whatever is mentioned on their site has been vetted and agreed to by Paypal. I imagine Paypal hold a large retainer of funds in case as well as SEB. The fact both parties are happy to deal with them, and no other manufacturer is taking these steps speaks volumes. These are heavyweight brands.

DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:11:53 PM

Just pointed out that you will get informed about the shipping date before you will see any activity in your pool account you provided to knc.

why do you keep stating this like you know a damn about what they will do?

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
btc_uzr

let's have some fun

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:27:19 PM

Stating what ?
That your speculation and assumption based on no facts/indications I can see is pointless ?

Maybe it's because I'm digging for the dots and try to connect them?
Maybe it's because I'm making some use of the rational part of my brain ?

So I'm asking you:
Why do you have any doubt regarding my statement that you will get an info (newsletter or email) of shipping date before you will see activity in your pool-account for testing ?
What are your indications/facts pointing out another possible scenario ??

Honestly I like to know them IF they are based on facts/indications or at least follow a structured thought....otherwise.. *think your part*

soy
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:28:43 PM

[12:06 AM]   Searing : although kncminer and others offerting regular credit card stuff etc plus paypal etc may have to be addressed by bfl someday ....people are (less monarch upgrades who are stuck ) are gonna be cautions on pre-orders from now on and use cc imhjo
[12:06 AM]   BFL_Josh : We'll see if they are still in business in 6 months.

I'm sure BFL will still be in the business of scamming n00bs in six months, which is sad.

It's kind of amazing he doesn't even believe it's possible for a company to just say what it's going to do, when it's going to do it, and then actually deliver.

I question if BFL will be open in a year's time to even be taking orders, though I'm sure they'll do their best to continue taking preorders from court even while sitting at their hearing. Enough complaints are piling up that it's reaching the right legal ears. More folks need to file official complaints to break the dam. Their entire production line has all but come to a halt over the past 13 days (minus a rig or two), and it's gotten even some stalwart BFL supporters worried.

Maybe I missed it, but there shouldn't be a bitbet on KNC delivering, it should be on how long until the folks at BFL are hauled off to court, and their location shut down.

As they say on TV detective shows:  Something hinkey there.
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 02:37:19 PM

Stating what ?
That your speculation and assumption based on no facts/indications I can see is pointless ?

Maybe it's because I'm digging for the dots and try to connect them?
Maybe it's because I'm making some use of the rational part of my brain ?

So I'm asking you:
Why do you have any doubt regarding my statement that you will get an info (newsletter or email) of shipping date before you will see activity in your pool-account for testing ?
What are your indications/facts pointing out another possible scenario ??

Honestly I like to know them IF they are based on facts/indications or at least follow a structured thought....otherwise.. *think your part*

You are pointing out your own behavior, not anyone else's

you got cabin fever it seems, get some air

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
Pages: « 1 ... 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 [456] 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: