Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:36:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 [532] 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049457 times)
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 11:12:17 AM
Last edit: September 25, 2013, 11:30:39 AM by Puppet

He has a good calculation and I as certainly many others would also like to see comments on it. Comments up to this point have focused on the genesisblock calculator. This calculation includes steps and a tapering growth rate.

Didnt KnC expect to ship 500TH in the first batch (supposedly september) ? If so, there is no way the next difficulty jump (after todays) would only be to 199,126,888. Even if everyone else stopped shipping, the network hashrate would be the current 1200 TH + KnC's 500TH  which gives a D of  ~240M instead of 200M. And I doubt BFL, Bitfury and others will stop shipping, in reality it will be above that, even after taking latency in to account.

Of course I dont expect every KnC customer to receive and deploy their miner next week either, but that only makes  it worse for those not getting their KnC gear in time.

Another thought is that the decreasing growth may not be incorrect over time, but in the coming months, I would expect the exact opposite. As KnC/Cointerra/Bitmine/whatever all receive their new chips over the course of ~2 months, I would expect to see a dramatic acceleration of the network growth compared to today. Perhaps early next year that will reverse, and the rate of growth may decrease (in %/day),  but surely not in the coming months which are crucial for the ROI of most current asic preorders.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notung

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 11:13:35 AM

The calculation looked ok.  The ROI drops off rapidly, but it still look like it's worth mining until you have about 40BTC then maybe sell the rig, or try and running it under clocked for more ROI.
Maybe is not a bad idea to sell it later. I could mine for one month and sell it with PSU. To the buyer it would be cheaper than the new units from KNC that will deliver in november for 5000 USD.
Thanks for the idea!
de_ixie

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 11:41:41 AM

I also have the strong feeling that too much hashing power got sold in batch 1 - in case they deliver 2-3 Petas until mid Oct we see 500m+ diff soon. Doom for everyone...  Undecided

European Bitcoin Exchange - Bitcoin handeln im deutschen Rechtsraum. Fair und reibungslos:
www.bitcoin.de (Aff. Link - Thank you!)
btc_uzr

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

let's have some fun

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 11:45:05 AM

The calculation looked ok.  The ROI drops off rapidly, but it still look like it's worth mining until you have about 40BTC then maybe sell the rig, or try and running it under clocked for more ROI.
Maybe is not a bad idea to sell it later. I could mine for one month and sell it with PSU. To the buyer it would be cheaper than the new units from KNC that will deliver in november for 5000 USD.
Thanks for the idea!

Are you sure you make that much coins in October that you can sell it with profit in November ?

Sorry, I doubt it, except their 'under promise - over delivery' turns out as 'margins upon margins upon margins' regarding ROI, since the delivery date could not be meant for sure.

Maybe there's a freebee for everyone?
They would make less profit but still more than enough for sure, with one huge difference: customers are getting ROI and will be happy/order again.

When KnC does not offer any kind of compensation in case things work out as worse as they currently look...I'm wondering who will buy gen2.
Ok, maybe through articles in economic magazines and their 'reseller' program they might find enough greedy persons wanting a 'money printing machine' and lack of knowledge about competition..

*edit: typo

..and Thou shalt spread the coin in the name of cryptography for eternity
btc_uzr

let's have some fun

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 11:47:49 AM

I also have the strong feeling that too much hashing power got sold in batch 1 - in case they deliver 2-3 Petas until mid Oct we see 500m+ diff soon. Doom for everyone...  Undecided

exactly

When selling miners you have in general three choices:

1) Sell a limited amount at a very high price
2) Sell as much as you can for a lower price
So customers are happy with their investment (making ROI).

3) Sell as many as you can at the highest price acceptable or even above it, which results in losses for buyers and max profit for you.

de_ixie

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 11:59:44 AM

I also have the strong feeling that too much hashing power got sold in batch 1 - in case they deliver 2-3 Petas until mid Oct we see 500m+ diff soon. Doom for everyone...  Undecided

exactly

When selling miners you have in general three choices:

1) Sell a limited amount at a very high price
2) Sell as much as you can for a lower price
So customers are happy with their investment (making ROI).

3) Sell as many as you can at the highest price acceptable or even above it, which results in losses for buyers and max profit for you.

You are right - even option 3) is valid in a free market. No one forces people to buy. Still - As a responsible company, KnC must have anticipated their impact on the network somehow. I have the impression they did, but closed order books a few weeks too late imho.

I guess this is also the reason why we dont see canceled Oct batch orders on their page for sale - they realized it is better to hold 'em back...

In case they really sold & deliver 2-3 Petas until mid Oct we can hug them for beeing good engineers - but thats it... strategic/ responsible thinking = 0 - I would be very disappointed.

I made several investment scenarios. But 500m+ diff by mid/end of Oct beats even my worst case scenario by far - getting worried, so sad  Embarrassed

European Bitcoin Exchange - Bitcoin handeln im deutschen Rechtsraum. Fair und reibungslos:
vesperwillow

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 12:10:52 PM

Like I've said in a few speculation threads (so far my diff projections have been almost spot on), I'm pretty sure we are only on the brink of rise. It will be vertical for quite awhile. It will plateau eventually, but people even with the large machines, will feel the struggle just to churn out what block erupters are doing today.

itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1075

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 12:13:11 PM

That said we only KnC's package size, not die size. Large package size, does not necessarily correlate to a large die size.

Ill grant you that, but I havent heard anyone refute hashfast's argument that the minimum estimate of KnC's die size based on the package/underfull dimensions would be on the order of 900mm³. Thats not just a little bit bigger, thats an epic size.

I'm sure most here don't care if KNC chips are, indeed, full-custom or standard cell -- as long as the performance is within spec.  I know there are some 28nm fetishists around, who think 28nm node = god, but hopefully Bitfury 55nm chips castrated their nanolust.

It's not the 28nm fetish-ing, it's just plain blindness when somebody claim that it is unimportant that your 28nm chip burns 60% more electricity per GH than your 55nm competitor (measured) and 100% more than the rest of the 28nm camp (expected). Only thing left is to jump to conclusion that everyone else is lying and to ask for Bitfury miner screenshots in disbelief. Yeah, it will surely be unimportant in march next year when every watt will be counted if your miner is plugged from the wall or not  Roll Eyes
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 12:22:33 PM

Can those asics be down clocked in order to improve the W per GH/s significantly ?
I'm not aware of infos regading this or I might have missed it somehow.

1.6W per GH/s seems quite bad in long term, no?
If your competition is mining at 1Watt per GH/s or less,  then yes that's bad, as it means they can pump up the net hash until you can no longer afford to mine, and they still can, unless you can find cheaper electricity.

What I think that people don't realize is that by the time the cost of electricity comes into play, the network hash rate has made your device practically obsolete anyway.

Example. I live in the north east of the US with fairly high power costs - $0.20/kwh. It'll cost me around $114 or approximately 1 BTC at today's prices to run the unit. Presuming BTC/USD prices stay the same, by the time that it no longer produces 1 BTC per month I'm not going to be very interested in running my Jupiter and getting only 0.0009259% of the 3600 BTC mined per day.

http://www.electricity-usage.com/Electricity-Usage-Calculator.aspx?Device=Jupiter&Watts=850&CostPerKWH=0.20&HoursPerDay=24

$/Gh and timing of delivery matters far more than watts/Gh.

Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 12:25:02 PM
Last edit: September 25, 2013, 12:35:15 PM by Bitcoinorama

That said we only KnC's package size, not die size. Large package size, does not necessarily correlate to a large die size.

Ill grant you that, but I havent heard anyone refute hashfast's argument that the minimum estimate of KnC's die size based on the package/underfull dimensions would be on the order of 900mm³. Thats not just a little bit bigger, thats an epic size.

I'm sure most here don't care if KNC chips are, indeed, full-custom or standard cell -- as long as the performance is within spec.  I know there are some 28nm fetishists around, who think 28nm node = god, but hopefully Bitfury 55nm chips castrated their nanolust.

It's not the 28nm fetish-ing, it's just plain blindness when somebody claim that it is unimportant that your 28nm chip burns 60% more electricity per GH (unmeasured worst case prediction)than your 55nm competitor (measured) and 100% more than the rest of the 28nm camp (expected) (the only thing that is expected is that simulated best case results have never equalled the reality of Bitcoin mining ASICS, have they? So better to be responsible, and err upon the side of caution, as engineering over marketing dictates). Only thing left is to jump to conclusion that everyone else is lying and to ask for Bitfury miner screenshots in disbelief (if that's a dig at me, get your fact's straight. I never once claimed any disbelief, just requested video as the products are in the wild for a baseline comparison of w/Gh/s as people are so keen to draw comparisons once KnC's data is to hand. Again go and check who posted congrats to Punin about three posts after he announced the Bitfury boards were populated and complete; https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=250249.msg2911187#msg2911187 Wink). Yeah, it will surely be unimportant in march next year when every watt will be counted if your miner is plugged from the wall or not  Roll Eyes (Perhaps, by that point you could always underclock kit, or move on to next gen - nothing lasts forever, especially at the rate at which Bitcoin mining tech is racing towards the smallest feasible die shrink, if the BTC price justifies a worthwhile investment)

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
de_ixie

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 12:33:47 PM

Like I've said in a few speculation threads (so far my diff projections have been almost spot on), I'm pretty sure we are only on the brink of rise. It will be vertical for quite awhile. It will plateau eventually, but people even with the large machines, will feel the struggle just to churn out what block erupters are doing today.

Hehe - I will have a look at your thread - but KnC was the 'black swan' for most models including my own

btc_uzr

let's have some fun

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 12:37:34 PM

(...)

Depends I'd say.

It depends one the environment: competitor's $ per GH/s, W per GH/s  as well as shipping date and total amount to be shipped

RHA

Activity: 392

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 12:41:30 PM

Set the "lower difficulty increase / jump" to more realistic 4% or even 5%.
itod
Legendary

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 12:48:34 PM

It's not the 28nm fetish-ing, it's just plain blindness when somebody claim that it is unimportant that your 28nm chip burns 60% more electricity per GH (unmeasured worst case prediction)than your 55nm competitor (measured) and 100% more than the rest of the 28nm camp (expected) (the only thing that is expected is that simulated best case results have never equalled the reality of Bitcoin mining ASICS, have they? So better to be responsible, and err upon the side of caution, as engineering over marketing dictates). Only thing left is to jump to conclusion that everyone else is lying and to ask for Bitfury miner screenshots in disbelief (if that's a dig at me, get your fact's straight. I never once claimed any disbelief, just requested video as the products are in the wild for a baseline comparison of w/Gh/s as people are so keen to draw comparisons once KnC's data is to hand. Again go and check who posted congrats to Punin about three posts after he announced the Bitfury boards were populated and complete; https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=250249.msg2911187#msg2911187 Wink). Yeah, it will surely be unimportant in march next year when every watt will be counted if your miner is plugged from the wall or not  Roll Eyes (Perhaps, by that point you could always underclock kit, or move on to next gen - nothing lasts forever, especially at the rate at which Bitcoin mining tech is racing towards the smallest feasible die shrink, if the BTC price justifies a worthwhile investment)

If the point of all that red ink you spilled across my post is to make it unreadable - you made it, congratulations. But that does not make your points relevant if you put them in red for some reason, you just look silly since there is not a single argument in these red letters.

I don't want to get into shouting competition with you, I've just wanted to point to an argument. But it's your way to mask the arguments with all kind of noise, be it a wall of text or red letters or something else.
crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 12:48:40 PM

(...)

Depends I'd say.

It depends one the environment: competitor's $ per GH/s, W per GH/s  as well as shipping date and total amount to be shipped

Sort'a true.  The thing to keep in mind is profits fall exponentially as the difficulty climbs exponentially.  Power consumption becomes increasingly relevant with time, but, at the point when it begins to matter (coins mined ~= cost of electricity), being 50% more energy-efficient only buys you an extra month of mining at a ridiculously low profit (if the difficulty doubles during that month).
efodix

Activity: 532

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 12:50:14 PM

Thanks for the idea!

Like anyone is gonna give a dime for a big box of electronics that wastes money.
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 12:53:25 PM

i´d rather put in 250 or even 300 mio diff to start with and only +15% change after this. after knc has shipped it will be unlikely that 30 % increases will happen. who will ship this much ?
crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 12:56:29 PM

i´d rather put in 250 or even 300 mio diff to start with and only +15% change after this. after knc has shipped it will be unlikely that 30 % increases will happen. who will ship this much ?

Hashfast/Cointerra/BFL/Blackarrow/ASICminer/Avalon/Bitfury/???
itod
Legendary

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 12:58:01 PM

HashFast, they ship towards the end of October. If KnC is a few weeks late it could easily happen they ship at the same time.
Meizirkki

Activity: 616

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 01:03:55 PM

Hashfast site still says "We taped out yesterday" Roll Eyes

Pages: « 1 ... 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 [532] 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: