Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:38:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 [1416] 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049457 times)
joeventura

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:46:58 AM

damnit knc, why did you have to remove ports 5 & 6 from the Nov Jups.  Sad

Some of the Oct Jupiters were shipped with only 4 ports as well. Not really fair for those that planned to upgrade them.

$2 in parts, a little soldering skills....

No soldering skills here, but can you link me to the parts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pcs-2-54mm-2x5-Pin-10-Pin-Straight-Male-Shrouded-PCB-Box-header-IDC-Socket-/171047381713?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d337ead1

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
joeventura

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:59:24 AM

Some of the Oct Jupiters were shipped with only 4 ports as well. Not really fair for those that planned to upgrade them.

+1 on that request.

I solder.  It is not a simple as it sounds.  The odds are higher that you'll make your controller board non-functional than succeed in adding sockets - unless you are an experienced technician with a lot of soldering time.  Get an old motherboard, remove a connector with .1" spacing between the pins even if it has many more pins than the socket  you wish to add to the controller board.  Try putting  one of those sockets into the motherboard.  You'll see it's more difficult than you expect.  Anyone who would tell a novice to try such a thing to a controller board is looking to reduce the net hashrate by killing your machine.

Saying "I solder" is like saying "I Drive"  you can be good at it or bad.

With a $10 desoldering pump and a decent iron this is (on a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being surface mount technology)  a 3 at the worst.
Its 10 huge holes that need to be cleared and a socket installed.
CYPER

Activity: 798
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 04:03:40 AM

I have an extra controller board given to me by a regular poster in this thread.
Let the bidding begins  Grin
How much do you think it is worth?

is this with beaglebone in it?
is it in working condition?

Yes, I am using it now with my Upgrade modules.
Ridicuss

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 04:10:57 AM

+1 on that request.

I solder.  It is not a simple as it sounds.  The odds are higher that you'll make your controller board non-functional than succeed in adding sockets - unless you are an experienced technician with a lot of soldering time.  Get an old motherboard, remove a connector with .1" spacing between the pins even if it has many more pins than the socket  you wish to add to the controller board.  Try putting  one of those sockets into the motherboard.  You'll see it's more difficult than you expect.  Anyone who would tell a novice to try such a thing to a controller board is looking to reduce the net hashrate by killing your machine.

With a $10 desoldering pump and a decent iron this is (on a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being surface mount technology)  a 3 at the worst.

Agree with Joeventura here. If you have never soldered anything before, dont practice on your controller board. Otherwise its not that bad. Those holes are big. I had to replace the power connector on my controller board, it took about 5 minutes including pulling the old pins out of the board.

Man, I wish I could change my avatar!
soy
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 04:13:32 AM

damnit knc, why did you have to remove ports 5 & 6 from the Nov Jups.  Sad

+1 on that request.

I solder.  It is not a simple as it sounds.  The odds are higher that you'll make your controller board non-functional than succeed in adding sockets - unless you are an experienced technician with a lot of soldering time.  Get an old motherboard, remove a connector with .1" spacing between the pins even if it has many more pins than the socket  you wish to add to the controller board.  Try putting  one of those sockets into the motherboard.  You'll see it's more difficult than you expect.  Anyone who would tell a novice to try such a thing to a controller board is looking to reduce the net hashrate by killing your machine.

Saying "I solder" is like saying "I Drive"  you can be good at it or bad.

With a $10 desoldering pump and a decent iron this is (on a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being surface mount technology)  a 3 at the worst.

If the thread weren't 1430 pages, I'd find the post with photos of a user who 'successfully' accomplished the feat.

Certainly is a way to make modules available while as it is....
joeventura

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 04:15:30 AM

+1 on that request.

If the thread weren't 1430 pages, I'd find the post with photos of a user who 'successfully' accomplished the feat.

I remember that photo, it was a scary job done by someone who did NOT know how to solder.
He didnt clear the holes first
soy
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 04:25:51 AM

+1 on that request.

I solder.  It is not a simple as it sounds.  The odds are higher that you'll make your controller board non-functional than succeed in adding sockets - unless you are an experienced technician with a lot of soldering time.  Get an old motherboard, remove a connector with .1" spacing between the pins even if it has many more pins than the socket  you wish to add to the controller board.  Try putting  one of those sockets into the motherboard.  You'll see it's more difficult than you expect.  Anyone who would tell a novice to try such a thing to a controller board is looking to reduce the net hashrate by killing your machine.

With a $10 desoldering pump and a decent iron this is (on a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being surface mount technology)  a 3 at the worst.

I remember that photo, it was a scary job done by someone who did NOT know how to solder.

If modules are only sold to those previous customers who purchased Mercs or Saturns and those customers are only sold a number of modules that when in addition to any previous modules they've purchase, will complete their machine to upgrade it to a Jupiter, no additional modules will appear on the market.

If modules are sold to all pre-existing customers, modules will immediately find their way to ebay, others will be added to Saturns and Mercs filling up the 4 positions, while even more will be sold to Jupiter owners upgrading to 6 or more modules.  Of those trying to upgrade to more than 4 modules, some will destroy their controller boards.  Of those with destroyed controller boards, most will send them back to KnC and ask for a replacement while agreeing that the replacement isn't under warranty because they mangled it and offering to pay.  Others who destroy their controller boards will give up and offer the modules for auction, including the new ones they've obtained.

...but oh yes, controller boards aren't available.  So, if you mangle a controller board you may have only the option to sell modules at auction.
merv77

Activity: 574

1.21 GIGA WATTS

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 04:29:44 AM

I have an extra controller board given to me by a regular poster in this thread.
Let the bidding begins  Grin
How much do you think it is worth?

is this with beaglebone in it?
is it in working condition?

Yes, I am using it now with my Upgrade modules.

then you're not selling Huh
Phoenix1969
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

LIR DEV

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 05:52:14 AM

If someone's really eager to lock in another KNC purchase...
I'd be willing to part with a Customer Appreciation Batch Neptune pre-order...  For a small profit (I have 3) I do believe I have one that's the lowest known Neptune order... Likely to be the first. P.M. me if interested.

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRide
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
[BTC]▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 06:52:07 AM

For those with free ports left, the question is now where to get additional modules...

not all of the ports work even if you have 6..   I found one of my ports to throw an error if plugged into it.

as always, YMMV

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
djcoin

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 07:15:43 AM

+1 on that request.

I assume you're referring to this --> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=170332.msg3665932#msg3665932
r1senfa17h

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 12:41:05 PM
Last edit: January 19, 2014, 02:34:59 PM by r1senfa17h

+1 on that request.

I assume you're referring to this --> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=170332.msg3665932#msg3665932

Yep, that was me! Looking back, I can't believe that I got it working. That box is currently hashing at 1026GH/s though. Those who know me know that I'm a bit of a risk taker... and so is everyone else mining this newfangled magic internet money.

1N3o5Kyvb4iECiJ3WKScKY8xTVXxf1hMvA
opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 02:01:06 PM

As I said 30 times on this forum (because people just say what they want and this thread has gotten way out of control) there WILL NOT be any Jupiters for sale. The mention of selling Jupiters on December 14th in their newsletter, "So keep some coins handy as we expect them to go quick" was purely a marketing/sales pitch for their unexpected flash sale of Neptunes for a much higher price. And people came on here asking where are the Jupiters? Thinking they would actually go on sale and kept asking like they were hypnotized or something. It was so obvious once the Neptunes went on sale again. I guess if you believe something so much you just start to think it is true and no matter how obvious something is it doesn't matter what the reality is. And I just read obama/rama or whatever his name said no Jupiters because of a bottleneck issue? Huh? It's been over a month. 30 days. 730 hours. There was never going to be a Jupiter sale. People want them so bad because of that greed factor and when that takes a hold of you there just isn't anything else in the brain.

They never had any Jupiters ready to sell...they weren't made. So the logic in telling us, "So keep some coins handy as we expect them to go quick" just doesn't fit.

I apologize for writing this again, but it just baffles me to see people still asking where the Jupiters are.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
opentoe
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 02:10:30 PM

KNC doesn't want to be in the power supply business so they will never accommodate a power supply in any of their rigs. They also don't want to deal with the RMA issues of power supplies either, since people blow them  up all the time. They will design their Neptunes and all future rigs without space for power supplies. Why are people asking for a status on Neptunes? I'm guessing they are still in the design phase just on paper/computer right now and still making design changes. Did everyone forget the original "expected" delivery date was Q1/Q2? That's a 6 month window. That's the only thing that kept me from spending any bitcoin at all. It was horrible waiting 2 months for my Jupiter I couldn't possibly wait that long on something and then not know if it would even break even. The difficulty alone has taken my upgraded Saturn to 0.19 / day. And that drop was pretty quick. I never even saw .4, .3, or even .2. Right from .5 to .19. All I can say is good luck Neptune buyers, I wish you big time luck!

r1senfa17h

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 02:21:36 PM

KNC doesn't want to be in the power supply business so they will never accommodate a power supply in any of their rigs. They also don't want to deal with the RMA issues of power supplies either, since people blow them  up all the time. They will design their Neptunes and all future rigs without space for power supplies. Why are people asking for a status on Neptunes? I'm guessing they are still in the design phase just on paper/computer right now and still making design changes. Did everyone forget the original "expected" delivery date was Q1/Q2? That's a 6 month window. That's the only thing that kept me from spending any bitcoin at all. It was horrible waiting 2 months for my Jupiter I couldn't possibly wait that long on something and then not know if it would even break even. The difficulty alone has taken my upgraded Saturn to 0.19 / day. And that drop was pretty quick. I never even saw .4, .3, or even .2. Right from .5 to .19. All I can say is good luck Neptune buyers, I wish you big time luck!

You're probably right. KnC is highly unlikely to include PSUs or space for them. Saying that all future rigs will be without space for PSUs is somewhat opposite of their implied goal to eventually sell to commercial customers only. Commercial customers are going to want the ability to use datacenters. Datacenters will not accommodate any device with an external PSU, liquid cooling, or that is not rack-mountable.

1N3o5Kyvb4iECiJ3WKScKY8xTVXxf1hMvA
opentoe
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 02:21:56 PM

Neptunes are still very much in the preliminary design phase.

a bit smelly to get this information just one day after the last batch sold out..

+1

Why is everyone surprised all of a sudden? I've been saying over the last few weeks these won't be around until at least late spring summertime. And that's even a light time line. Everyone was such on a KNC high drinking the cool-aid self diluting themselves they would believe anything. You guys really have to watch some marketing/sales videos. KNC took some sales tactics right out of some popular ones. Like announcing a sale for a very sought after product (knowing it would never come) then putting another one (at a much higher price) on for sale. This is like in the first volume on how to incur sales. It was very obvious to someone that wasn't drinking the cool-aid or wasn't on a money high.

joeventura

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 02:25:08 PM

+1 on that request.

Oh lord yes that is the one!!!
opentoe
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 02:26:21 PM

My October Jupiter hashes at 425Gh/s (has the Die0) issue.   I've wasted so much time (and downtime) messing around with it I've given up.

Any Toronto-based Jupiter miners interested in some pocket scratch in exchange for coming in to get mine up to speed?

After I did what it said in the post that was on KNC's website, my father's DIE came back alive and he's now hasing %100. Here is the link:

http://forum.kncminer.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/24988-0-99-tuning-suite-instructions-october-miners

Thanks!   I tried messing with that a few times and it killed more dies.   I'll give it another whirl!

Make sure you don't jump up voltage. Just increase it to the next one and then WAIT. Don't rush into it. After my dad changed his SPI to 2.40 he had to wait approx 5 minutes before the DIE came back alive. I think if you shock it too much with increasing it too quickly that won't help.

soy
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 05:21:05 PM

Looking recently at dwindling returns, and although the return is less than what would have been after the attacks on Slush and Eligius the other night, but that not withstanding, the issue of increased difficulty and increasing network hashrate, the decline for a fixed hashing power is enough to make me wonder if it will continue so rapidly down that soon inefficient miners will stop paying their own way.

But the large degree that return will drop isn't effecting the sale of inefficient miners to noobs.  They will keep their inefficient miners online come hell or high water because they've paid so much and the chance the mined pittance will become fabulously valuable one day - completely ignoring that buying the btc outright is the smarter move.
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 05:25:45 PM

Datacenters will not accommodate any device with an external PSU

external PSUs are on many SANs and some other things...   you won't see a computer PSU but there are many rank mounted power units

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
Pages: « 1 ... 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 [1416] 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: