Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:49:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Onboard GPU for normal Work while mining with and AMD GPU?  (Read 29093 times)
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 12:59:45 PM

why do you want to use the IGP in the first place as opposed to one of the cards?

Read the title :p.

Yes I saw the title, but still my question is: why?

What possible advantage would you have? I suppose you might get a few extra MH/s or KH/s (depending on the algo you're mining with) because you might be able to set the card intensity 1 value higher... but really it's not going to make a huge difference.

He, others and I, would not need to put any more stress on the mining gpu's. So, all your basic work is loaded on the IGP rather putting any more stress on the mining gpu's. Also, you could ramp up the intensity without any desktop lag interference because, well, the IGP takes care of all the desktop work, like browsing ect. You might find a slight lag, but nothing like the lag as if you ran the mining gpu as a miner and desktop usage < that is horrible, You would need to run intensity 13 or something low, which sucks, otherwise with high intensity, you will not be able to do anything on your desktop.

And have you tried this method, of this topic before? If so, I'd say you have a say so in it, if not, then why answer something you "think" "but really it's not going to make a huge difference." It's all of the world difference for users that use their mining rigs as a regular day usage PC. Smiley Title really answers your why question, but above is a deeper explanation.
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Trillium

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 03:44:35 PM

He, others and I, would not need to put any more stress on the mining gpu's. So, all your basic work is loaded on the IGP rather putting any more stress on the mining gpu's. Also, you could ramp up the intensity without any desktop lag interference because, well, the IGP takes care of all the desktop work, like browsing ect. You might find a slight lag, but nothing like the lag as if you ran the mining gpu as a miner and desktop usage < that is horrible, You would need to run intensity 13 or something low, which sucks, otherwise with high intensity, you will not be able to do anything on your desktop.

And have you tried this method, of this topic before? If so, I'd say you have a say so in it, if not, then why answer something you "think" "but really it's not going to make a huge difference." It's all of the world difference for users that use their mining rigs as a regular day usage PC. Smiley Title really answers your why question, but above is a deeper explanation.

Looking back on this thread, OP stopped responding when the thread was 1 day old and seemingly without a solution to the problem. This thread has been necro'd 3-4 times by different users over the last 3 months since then. I was simply offering another point of view to the discussion, that perhaps people were going about a huge amount of effort for little gain (a few dozen khash/s if that). For example, I believe that every persons time has a price attached to it, unless they are too young to work, a non-working student, retired, or otherwise unable to turn an income. I assume that at some stage OP would have spent so much time playing around with this problem that he/she could've just picked up an extra shift at work or two and then purchased the next card up in the series, ran the PC without IGP, with a slightly lower intensity on one card, and still had been better off. Perhaps I just have a strange way of looking at things...

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
pekv2

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 08:08:04 PM

Looking back on this thread, OP stopped responding when the thread was 1 day old and seemingly without a solution to the problem. This thread has been necro'd 3-4 times by different users over the last 3 months since then. I was simply offering another point of view to the discussion, that perhaps people were going about a huge amount of effort for little gain (a few dozen khash/s if that). For example, I believe that every persons time has a price attached to it

It's great that this thread keeps getting bumped. It allows other users to even more put more use to their pc if it is a daily use pc. I could see if you're mining farmer, then this thread has no point. Huge amount of effort? Really? Lol...  Takes no effort at all. And no time at all as well, less than 5 minutes. Smiley

Putting this here so, blazin ain't being cock blocked...

You have to first boot from the graphics card and install the AMD drivers.  I've tried with 12.6 and newer, also make sure to install SDK.

Then boot into bios and set the mobo to IGPU and save and exit

Next pull the plug from the back of the video card and plug it into your mobo.

Then put a single dummy plug on the video card that is in the first (main) PCI-E x16 slot.  Yes it works even if you are using 1x risers as that's all I use.  No the other cards don't need dummy plugs. (though, some users have reported to need dummy plugs on all cards.)

Then reboot

Then control all settings from within cgminer as I've found MSI afterburner will lose voltage control etc.

Voltage control (if your card supports it), speed settings, fans, etc all work if used in cgminer, verified through GPU-Z.

This has worked for me on both Asus and MSI Z77 mobos using Ivy Bridge CPUs.

YMMV   Cool

As for the dummy plugs I am using 100ohm resisters.  I read online anything between 75-150ohm is fine.  Make sure you get ohms and not kohms.

Here is how you make dummy plugs for any inquiring minds.  And of course you can always finish them off with some hot glue Wink

BlazinBeaches

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 12:40:24 AM
Last edit: July 05, 2013, 12:52:54 AM by BlazinBeaches

Haha good man Cheesy

Yeah it's really fast and easy to do, it's just the matter of doing things in the right order.  Nobody should have to explain why people want to do this, anyone that pokes fun at such an obvious piece of common sense is just looking for an argument.

Mileage probably varies wildly from card to card, & different chipsets, drivers, etc.  But I can say with 7970s dropping the intensity down from the required 13 for full speed to 12 loses about 50% hashrate.  And even then you still can't watch HD Video without major lag.  That includes many software programs such as 3D imaging, Adobe Creative Suite, Youtube informational videos, even some Microsoft Apps, and many random things here and there while surfing the net.  Even with an oc'd 3770k in the rig.  Most anyone here can agree why waste useful hashes when you don't have to, and when there is a perfectly good Intel HD graphics right there and ready to go to run the system, then the better question is, why not.
pekv2

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 11:35:46 AM

Haha good man Cheesy

Yeah it's really fast and easy to do, it's just the matter of doing things in the right order.  Nobody should have to explain why people want to do this, anyone that pokes fun at such an obvious piece of common sense is just looking for an argument.

Mileage probably varies wildly from card to card, & different chipsets, drivers, etc.  But I can say with 7970s dropping the intensity down from the required 13 for full speed to 12 loses about 50% hashrate.  And even then you still can't watch HD Video without major lag.  That includes many software programs such as 3D imaging, Adobe Creative Suite, Youtube informational videos, even some Microsoft Apps, and many random things here and there while surfing the net.  Even with an oc'd 3770k in the rig.  Most anyone here can agree why waste useful hashes when you don't have to, and when there is a perfectly good Intel HD graphics right there and ready to go to run the system, then the better question is, why not.

Lol thanks.

Yea agreed, tis why I didn't let up.
pekv2

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 09:43:37 AM

New test I did, I ran my miner with both gpus and only one dummy plug on the first card, I can mine with one dummy plug. This is wicked.
Hornedfrog

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 01:01:10 AM

I want to try this on my ivy bridge 3770 integrated gpu and mine with two 7970 cards.  I read that the 7000 series cards don't require dummy plugs.  There should be no software needed to run integrated graphs under Win7, right?
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 02:37:50 PM

I want to try this on my ivy bridge 3770 integrated gpu and mine with two 7970 cards.  I read that the 7000 series cards don't require dummy plugs.  There should be no software needed to run integrated graphs under Win7, right?

No cards need dummy plugs.  It's bollocks, and has been for nearly 2 years.  People who even think dummy plugs are the dummies.

As I said months ago in this thread that I'm running a pair of 7950 for mining and the HD4000 video out of my i3-3225.  Set the BIOS to assign priority to the Intel video, boot in to Windows, install the Intel drivers, then the ATI drivers, job done. 

Tested with three different motherboards (Asus P8B-WS C206 chipset, MSI B75IA-E33 B75 chipset, Asus P8H77-I H77 chipset) and three different CPU (G620, i3-2100, i3-3225).
KJaneway (OP)

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 02:22:27 PM

LOL Thats funny. My Thread is so old and so undead.

I tried many things to solve that issue, and something worked. But I was unable to figure out the exact trick. Unfortunately although i set GPU priority in BIOS to Onboard, every now and then after restarting the PC the Monitor stayed black and shows neither a picture at the onboard port nor at the Radeon card. Now I only use the ATI Card and everything is fine except of a laggy system while mining.

If you like my advise, i would be thankful getting a small donation at:
1Hvpgt5U6EgrWX1WpA25W6mRoH1Ltr8ydm
Hornedfrog

Activity: 18

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 06:48:21 PM

No cards need dummy plugs.  It's bollocks, and has been for nearly 2 years.  People who even think dummy plugs are the dummies.

As I said months ago in this thread that I'm running a pair of 7950 for mining and the HD4000 video out of my i3-3225.  Set the BIOS to assign priority to the Intel video, boot in to Windows, install the Intel drivers, then the ATI drivers, job done. 

Tested with three different motherboards (Asus P8B-WS C206 chipset, MSI B75IA-E33 B75 chipset, Asus P8H77-I H77 chipset) and three different CPU (G620, i3-2100, i3-3225).

Thank you!!
Nordstern

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 04:58:51 PM

Have the same problem. Only i have an HP Z220 Workstation CMT and cant set IGP boot priority in bios. how about that?
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 05:05:18 PM

Have the same problem. Only i have an HP Z220 Workstation CMT and cant set IGP boot priority in bios. how about that?

That's a stupid BIOS limitation in that HP model, where enabling the iGPU with a discrete GPU only works with nVidia NVS300 and NVS310. 

See: http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA4-4148ENW.pdf

Furthermore, HP is limiting mixed graphics configurations to 2D graphics cards from NVIDIA, namely the
NVS300 and the NVS310. Customers who need
four 3D accelerated displays should consider the
HP Z420 Workstation.

sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 02:53:58 PM

First you need dummy plug for your card.
http://www.overclock.net/t/384733/the-30-second-dummy-plug

Install the graphics card, boot up the operating system with your monito plugged into the GFX card, install amd driver.

Jump into UEFI aka bios, set graphics to IGP, not auto.

Shutdown, install the dummy plug.

Boot up the system, install your Intel graphics driver, reboot.

You should be set to mine off your AMD card, while being on the IGP for your monitor.

Yes, this can be done, I am and have been doing it for a while on my I3-2100 and two 5850's.

Reviving an old thread just to say thank you!

I had been trying to work this out with my Intel MoBo and 7950 GFX card. After many failed attempts I was about to give up, but your instructions have precisely worked. I followed them in order and now I'm successfully running my display with integrated graphics and using 7950 for dedicated mining.

Thank you!
pekv2

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 03:08:16 PM

Thank you!

Glad I could help!
lukassss

Activity: 4

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:46:08 PM

Hi,

i have ASUS M4A89GTD PRO motherboard and i wanna use Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 4290 GPU for normal pc use(movies, internet,...) and i have one MSI HD 5850 which i wanna use for mining...So the question is can i use this dummy plug method to make it working with complete access to gpu-z, msi ab, trixx...Huh

Thanks!
sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:45:07 PM

Hi,

i have ASUS M4A89GTD PRO motherboard and i wanna use Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 4290 GPU for normal pc use(movies, internet,...) and i have one MSI HD 5850 which i wanna use for mining...So the question is can i use this dummy plug method to make it working with complete access to gpu-z, msi ab, trixx...Huh

Thanks!

People have had different experiences regarding dummy plugs. Some require it, some don't. In my case it was Intel motherboard, which required dummy plugs. You can try without them first; if it doesn't work, then you should use them.

As for TRIXX and all, I am using AMD Catalyst Control center which works fine; also my miners display the stats perfectly.
lukassss

Activity: 4

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 12:03:44 AM

Hi,

Thanks!

People have had different experiences regarding dummy plugs. Some require it, some don't. In my case it was Intel motherboard, which required dummy plugs. You can try without them first; if it doesn't work, then you should use them.

As for TRIXX and all, I am using AMD Catalyst Control center which works fine; also my miners display the stats perfectly.

I spend 8 hours today to make this work and nothing... Undecided And i dont know where i made mistakes.

Which driver i need to instal first, IGP integrated ati driver or HD 5850 amd driver Huh
sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 08:08:45 PM

Hi,

Thanks!

I spend 8 hours today to make this work and nothing... Undecided And i dont know where i made mistakes.

Which driver i need to instal first, IGP integrated ati driver or HD 5850 amd driver Huh

Your integrated graphics probably has the drivers installed already, so don't worry about them. Just follow the sequence in correct order.

1. Plug the monitor in 5850, start the PC, verify/install latest AMD driver (Catalyst) for 5850.
2. Restart PC, go to BIOS, change video priority from 'Auto' to 'IGP'. Save changes & Exit from BIOS. PC will reboot automatically.
3. While computer is booting, unplug the monitor from 5850 and place dummy plug there.
4. Plug the monitor into integrated graphics.

You should be done.
Are you doing it in this proper order?
QuadraQ

Activity: 480
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 02:29:12 AM

OK I'm running into this same frustration. Here's the setup:

MSI Z77A-GD65 LGA 1155 motherboard
Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge processor with HD 2000 graphics
Powercolor Radeon 7950
Windows 8.1
sgminer 4.0.1
Latest non-beta drivers of AMD Catalyst (13.1 I believe)

I don't have a dummy plug so that's not an option unless I buy/make one.

I installed Win 8 and did all the updates without the Radeon card (last part to arrive).

I connected the Radeon card and installed the drivers, tested mining and everything was working fine.

Moved the machine to the closet where it will be run and hooked up the monitor (an old 1024 x 768 LCD monitor with just a VGA plug) to the main board, and setup the EUFI to use the IGC.

Downloaded and installed the latest Intel drivers for good measure.

Now when I run my batch file which does this:

setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
sgminer.exe -c sgminer.conf

I get this message initially:

[23:02:52] ADL found less devices than opencl!
[23:02:52] There is possibly more than one display attached to a GPU
[23:02:52] Use the gpu map feature to reliably map OpenCL to ADL
[23:02:52] WARNING: Number of OpenCL and ADL devices did not match!
[23:02:52] Hardware monitoring may NOT match up with devices!

And after a few moments it continues, but the hashrate is pretty bad and there's no information displayed for the card's temperature or fan speed. I'd really like to get this to work properly!

Here's my sgminer.conf file with the pool information removed:

Code:
{
"pools" : <intentionally left out>
"device" : "0",
"intensity" : "19",
"worksize" : "256",
"lookup-gap" : "2",
"thread-concurrency" : "24000",
"shaders" : "0",
"gpu-engine" : "850-1110",
"gpu-fan" : "20-85",
"auto-fan" : true,
"gpu-memclock" : "1500",
"gpu-memdiff" : "0",
"gpu-powertune" : "20",
"gpu-vddc" : "0.000",
"temp-cutoff" : "95",
"temp-overheat" : "85",
"temp-target" : "80",
"auto-gpu" : true,
"expiry" : "1",
"gpu-dyninterval" : "7",
"gpu-platform" : "0",
"gpu-threads" : "1",
"hotplug" : "5",
"log" : "5",
"no-pool-disable" : true,
"queue" : "1",
"scan-time" : "1",
"temp-hysteresis" : "3",
"shares" : "0",
"kernel-path" : "/usr/local/bin"
}

And in case it's useful here's the -n output from sgminer:

[18:27:22] CL Platform 0 vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

[18:27:22] CL Platform 0 name: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing

[18:27:22] CL Platform 0 version: OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1348.5)

[18:27:22] Platform 0 devices: 1
[18:27:22]      0       Tahiti
[18:27:22] CL Platform 1 vendor: Intel(R) Corporation
[18:27:22] CL Platform 1 name: Intel(R) OpenCL
[18:27:22] CL Platform 1 version: OpenCL 1.1
[18:27:22] Error -1: Getting Device IDs (num)
[18:27:22] Number of ADL devices: 1
[18:27:22] ATI ADL Overdrive5 API found.
[18:27:22] ATI ADL Overdrive6 API found.
[18:27:22] Found 8 ADL adapters
[18:27:22] ADL index 0, id 2 - FAILED to get BIOS info
[18:27:22] Failed to ADL_Adapter_ID_Get. Error -5
[18:27:22] ADL index 1, id 2 - FAILED to get BIOS info
[18:27:22] ADL index 2, id 2 - FAILED to get BIOS info
[18:27:22] ADL index 3, id 2 - FAILED to get BIOS info
[18:27:22] ADL index 4, id 2 - FAILED to get BIOS info
[18:27:22] ADL index 5, id 2 - FAILED to get BIOS info
[18:27:22] ADL index 6, id 2 - FAILED to get BIOS info
[18:27:22] ADL index 7, id 2 - FAILED to get BIOS info
[18:27:22] ADL found less devices than opencl!
[18:27:22] There is possibly more than one display attached to a GPU

[18:27:22] Use the gpu map feature to reliably map OpenCL to ADL

[18:27:22] WARNING: Number of OpenCL and ADL devices did not match!

[18:27:22] Hardware monitoring may NOT match up with devices!

[18:27:22] 1 GPU devices max detected

Any help would be most appreciated!
sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:01:45 AM

@QuadraQ: I was also receiving the same error, then I had to use the dummy plug. Try it out. I made them myself, its very evry easy.  You just need the VGA-DVI adapter and three 68 ohm resistors, which are easily available from radioshack or eBay and they're dirt cheap.

Make sure to follow the instructions in proper order, step-by-step.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: