Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:42:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Future Bitcoin millionaires - will you cash out when you hit $1M?
Yes - it'd be a good point to sell it all and put it in more traditional investments - 18 (6%)
I'll probably sell part of it when I hit $1M in total holdings - 134 (44.4%)
I'll keep selling everything but $1M every time the price goes up. - 19 (6.3%)
I'm cashing out sooner than that! - 28 (9.3%)
NEVER! Hide ALL the coins! - 103 (34.1%)
Total Voters: 302

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Future Bitcoin millionaires - will you cash out when you hit $1M?  (Read 13711 times)
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:53:11 PM

Just assume that whatever amount of Bitcoins you have, no matter how small, are worth $1M one day.  What will you do?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:55:53 PM

The millionaires will hoard coins till their last breath.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:57:18 PM

There really is no reason to "cash out".  If you want to pay for something (goods, services, paying off debt) and you can't using BTC then selling enough BTC to pay for it indirectly is an option.

I have had my eye on a boat for a while. I doubt many boat dealers will be taking Bitcoins anytime soon.  If the exchange rate went up enough I would gladly sell some of my coins to buy the boat I wanted.   To cash out just to hold cash?  I wouldn't do that at $1M, $100M $1B, $1T.  Why?  To hold paper which becomes worth less and less every year.

I would prefer to buy assets directly (BTC -> asset) but if I can't indirectly works too (BTC -> USD -> asset).
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 05:01:07 PM

There really is no reason to "cash out".  If you want to pay for something (goods, services, paying off debt) and you can't using BTC then selling enough BTC to pay for it indirectly is an option.

I have had my eye on a boat for a while. I doubt many boat dealers will be taking Bitcoins anytime soon.  If the exchange rate went up enough I would gladly sell some of my coins to buy the boat I wanted.   To cash out just to hold cash?  I wouldn't do that at $1M, $100M $1B, $1T.  Why?  To hold paper which becomes worth less and less every year.

I would prefer to buy assets directly (BTC -> asset) but if I can't indirectly works too (BTC -> USD -> asset).
When your fiat becomes worthless paper it doomes the BTC economy because BTC<->USD is the main currency traded between bitcoiners. Bitcoin will be as worthless then.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 05:03:24 PM

I didn't say worthless just worth ... LESS.  Worst case scenario US coins have a decent amount of commodity value.  If all fiat currencies simultaneously because absolutely worthless (not just devalued), I am sure MtGox would put up a BTC/GLD market (or maybe a BTC/H20 one). Smiley
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 05:06:45 PM

If it hit $1M then it means bitcoin is the currency of the world, and that there would be nothing to cash it out, everything would be traded in bitcoin  Cheesy

warpio

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 05:07:28 PM

I intend to keep 50% in BTC, 30% in fiat, and 20% in altcoins regardless of what happens. The future is too uncertain to go "all in" to a single currency.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 05:07:50 PM

If it hit $1M then it means bitcoin is the currency of the world, and that there would be nothing to cash it out, everything would be traded in bitcoin  Cheesy

I don't think he means an exchange rate of $1,000,000 USD per BTC but rather if someone personal holdings were worth $1M.  Like if you had $1M worth of gold would you sell the gold?
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 05:08:09 PM

I didn't say worthless just worth ... LESS.  Even the Zimbabwae dollar isn't worthless just not worth much.  Worst case scenario US coins have a decent amount of commodity value.  If all fiat currrencies because absolutely worthless (not just devalued) at the same time.  I am sure MtGox would put up a BTC/GLD market. Smiley
That actually isn't such a bad idea, in fact it's great. BTC<->Gold but not in the form of physical ownership, not till you decide to "withdraw" at least.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 05:10:35 PM

That actually isn't such a bad idea, in fact it's great. BTC<->Gold but not in the form of physical ownership, not till you decide to "withdraw" at least.

It is an idea we (Tangible Cryptography not MtGox) have been discussing at owners meetings.  Of course taking physical delivery would be an option also.

Something like this https://www.bullionvault.com/ but obviously on a smaller scale, with the gold reserve held by a trust in a private vault with periodic audits.

Actually it would be beyond awesome if bullionvault simply added BTC as a market. The commodity side is the hard part and they already have all that in place.  Smiley
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 05:16:20 PM

I already cashed out. I cashed out of dollars into Bitcoin.
Klestin

Activity: 493
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 05:41:28 PM

When I have enough to pay off my house with 50% of my holdings, I will cash out that 50%.
dg2010

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 05:45:22 PM

When your fiat becomes worthless paper it doomes the BTC economy because BTC<->USD is the main currency traded between bitcoiners. Bitcoin will be as worthless then.

Yes except if you cash out to fiat and then purchase an asset, like a home. A home will always be a home.... short of a major disaster, natural or otherwise. The value isn't so important.

Now when you can buy a home with Bitcoin....now we are really talking!
Newscastix

Activity: 349

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 05:48:11 PM

This! Why would i want to go back into fiat? Losing value every day...
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 05:53:15 PM

I panic sold all my dollars for btc. Just in the nick of time, too. The long, agonizing downslide is turning into a freefall.
chrsjrcj

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 05:54:44 PM

If my Bitcoin holdings reach $1 million, we've probably already reached widespread adoption, and there'd be no point for me to cash out.
kiko

Activity: 453

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 06:01:51 PM

It is an idea we (Tangible Cryptography not MtGox) have been discussing at owners meetings.  Of course taking physical delivery would be an option also.

Something like this https://www.bullionvault.com/ but obviously on a smaller scale, with the gold reserve held by a trust in a private vault with periodic audits.

Actually it would be beyond awesome if bullionvault simply added BTC as a market. The commodity side is the hard part and they already have all that in place.  Smiley

It's obvious the folks over at Goldmoney are going to announce something like this. After all the questionnaires, interviews, and that video partnership with bitcoin magazine.  I just hope they hurry up about it.
NABiT

Activity: 318
Merit: 259

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 06:31:15 PM

It's obvious the folks over at Goldmoney are going to announce something like this. After all the questionnaires, interviews, and that video partnership with bitcoin magazine.  I just hope they hurry up about it.

If it happened I would expect it to happen at Goldmoney as opposed to BullionVault, I actually heard James Turk, can't remember the interview, saying they had been considering the idea of providing this service for their Goldmoney customers.

I guess there would be a lot of legal hurdles, Jan 2012 due to regulations they even stopped the option for their customers to use their precious metals in payment for goods and services from other GoldMoney customers.

flug

Activity: 280

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 06:35:02 PM

I'm planning on spending/cashing out 1% of my BTC holdings per month when the exchange rate reaches a certain level.
WiseOldOwl

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 06:47:20 PM

I was working on a BTC<->AU (gold) Market.
You send in gold or buy shares from others to create a gold balance (shares represented in grams) on the exchange, and trade like normal 1 gram to .33 BTC or whatever.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: