Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:49:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about those awesome collectibles.  (Read 467 times)
Factmine (OP)

Activity: 310
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 05:12:37 PM

Hello guys,

I've been fascinated with how those physical bitcoins came to be. Is there a thread discussing this, please just point me there. If not, I got a few questions I would like to ask you, awesome collectors.

1. Who makes those coins?
2. How do we catalog these coins? Is it like stamps, where there is like a database of these coins?
3. How do I know it's authentic?
4. I read a thread that I can place a QR code of my private key on a coin, how does that work?
5. How can I make my own physical coins, if I had the resources and talent to do so?

I'll add more questions if I come up with some more later. Thanks guys!
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
monkeynuts
Legendary

Activity: 1251
Merit: 1259

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 05:25:20 PM

Plenty of sites have details

Start off on https://coinfirm.org/ - There is a free ebook there for Casascius coins. Plus the option to buy an encyclopedia

And ask the members you see posting here. We will help you out
klaaas

Activity: 1568
Merit: 544

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 05:27:05 PM

Take a look here. It got a good amount of coins listed.

Shopping online and sats back as a discount! (satsback) + LightningNetwork
miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 05:35:17 PM

Hello guys,

I've been fascinated with how those physical bitcoins came to be. Is there a thread discussing this, please just point me there. If not, I got a few questions I would like to ask you, awesome collectors.

1. Who makes those coins?
2. How do we catalog these coins? Is it like stamps, where there is like a database of these coins?
3. How do I know it's authentic?
4. I read a thread that I can place a QR code of my private key on a coin, how does that work?
5. How can I make my own physical coins, if I had the resources and talent to do so?

I'll add more questions if I come up with some more later. Thanks guys!

1. There are a few people around that make them, but anyone can.
2. Each coin creator would usually catalog their coins. As said in above comments, there are people that try to list all coins.
3. You will need to know about possible counterfeits of coins. That said, there are many here that would be willing to help out.  Smiley
4. You would need to generate a QR code of a private key for a coin. Please be careful with this. It's sensitive information, and you will need the trust of the community.
5. You would need to contact a mint if you want to create coins. However, fresh ideas (even non-coins) are appreciated a lot more here Wink

Feel free to ask more questions!

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
Factmine (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 05:41:56 PM

Great input guys!

Plenty of sites have details

Start off on https://coinfirm.org/ - There is a free ebook there for Casascius coins. Plus the option to buy an encyclopedia

And ask the members you see posting here. We will help you out

That's an expensive book! And I usually buy expensive ones for school, this encyclopedia tops them all. I wonder what's in that book tho. Thanks for sharing the website, I am reading through the teaser copy.

This is a great list, it really gets me more excited to own one. I've never collected anything before, but these physical bitcoins makes me want to.

What do you mean by contact a mint? Is "mint" a person who creates these coins?
TommyBitcoin

Activity: 350

Interested in the Power of Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2016, 05:46:18 PM

The most popular physical crypto is the Casascius.  A couple of other good sites that tell you info on them:

http://www.spotcoins.com/bitcoin/casascius

This will give you a good idea about mint counts, etc.

Another site to verify if the Cas coin is still loaded:

https://casascius.uberbills.com/

By inputting the number/letter combo from the hologram, you can learn a lot about the particular coin.

I am learning new things every day, so I appreciate your post! 

*********BUY OR SELL YOUR BITCOIN TO A TRUSTED TRADER********
***I want to buy and sell you bitcoins***(eight )-(eight)-4 85-TOMMY
Factmine (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 05:59:35 PM

The most popular physical crypto is the Casascius.  A couple of other good sites that tell you info on them:

http://www.spotcoins.com/bitcoin/casascius

This will give you a good idea about mint counts, etc.

Another site to verify if the Cas coin is still loaded:

https://casascius.uberbills.com/

By inputting the number/letter combo from the hologram, you can learn a lot about the particular coin.

I am learning new things every day, so I appreciate your post! 

Thanks for appreciating it.

Cool sites you recommended. Will look into those too. I have an ever growing list of things to read about and will keep me because for quite some time.

I am thinking, maybe I'll also compile all the answers you guys gave me. Since I don't think there has been a thread on this topic yet and would be a great informative thread.
miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 06:01:47 PM

What do you mean by contact a mint? Is "mint" a person who creates these coins?

A mint is a type of industrial manufacturing facility that creates coins.

For example: http://www.nwtmint.com/

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
Factmine (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 06:17:56 PM

~snip~

Oh, I see. Checked out their site. I read something about using copper in minting and they just plate the other portion with precious metals. Relating this to our Bitcoin physical coins, how do we know that these coins are purely made of what they say it is?

Some additional questions.
1. How do we authenticate each coin?
2. Do they have a unique serial number?
3. What is this HOLO?
4. What does it mean to be tamper proof? (I think I read this on a Holo coin auction, I am not sure)

Note: I'll probably compile all the questions and answers made here, and insert the proper attribution to who answered which, later when I have time to do it. Too busy reading informative stuff I got from you guys. Smiley
TommyBitcoin

Activity: 350

Interested in the Power of Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2016, 07:33:43 PM

~snip~

Oh, I see. Checked out their site. I read something about using copper in minting and they just plate the other portion with precious metals. Relating this to our Bitcoin physical coins, how do we know that these coins are purely made of what they say it is?

1. How do we authenticate each coin?
2. Do they have a unique serial number?
3. What is this HOLO?
4. What does it mean to be tamper proof? (I think I read this on a Holo coin auction, I am not sure)

Note: I'll probably compile all the questions and answers made here, and insert the proper attribution to who answered which, later when I have time to do it. Too busy reading informative stuff I got from you guys. Smiley

Hi Factmine,

Here is a brief response to your questions, based on what I have learned over the past 8 months:

1. How do we authenticate each coin? - You can have the seller post pics of front and back of coin with the seller's username and date.  Then go to the uberbills site where I provided a link to.  

Here is an example of a Cas Coin's description from uberbills:

https://casascius.uberbills.com/?address=12CS4Z1ZhAefHkGrumrsS9gvHCKJK13V1t

From there, you can get the full address and check any blockchain site to see if the coin is still loaded.(There are other links to other coin companies, like Kialara and Titan, but I would start with Casascius, because of popularity and history).  
2. Do they have a unique serial number? - yes.  It is a combination of numbers and letters that reveal the first bits of your public address (aka public key). Other companies will engrave the public address on the coin itself.
3. What is this HOLO?  It is short for the hologram sticker that conceals the private key.  To get to the private key, you have to peel the hologram.  You can then redeem the coin.  Nearly all coin companies use the hologram method to hide the private key.
4. What does it mean to be tamper proof? (I think I read this on a Holo coin auction, I am not sure)  - tamper-evident means that, once even a little bit of the holo is peeled, it will be evident that someone tampered with it.  Thus stay away!  The private key may have already been revealed even though the uberbills site shows that the coin is still funded. Probably a scam.

The main reason Mike Caldwell made these coins was to show a physical representation of bitcoin.  One of the ways to spread the word is to make something tangible that stores value and sell them.  These coins act as a pretty effective way of cold storage (as long as you believe the coin maker doesn't have access to the private keys  Tongue )

I have learned a boatload by reading lots of threads and participating in the forums.  (Don't forget Google.)

Be careful, Factmine.  This hobby can be habit forming  Grin

*********BUY OR SELL YOUR BITCOIN TO A TRUSTED TRADER********
***I want to buy and sell you bitcoins***(eight )-(eight)-4 85-TOMMY
FFrankie

Activity: 2254
Merit: 960

100% Deposit Match UP TO €5000!

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 11:20:36 PM

I thought this was the coolest website I have ever seen. I printed off the list and I checked off the few coins that I own. I am hoping to buy a new coin off of the list every week and getting close to finishing it, but I understand it would be totally possible but I am hoping I come close
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
December 07, 2016, 12:01:21 AM

Is that your site? I could help fill out a lot of gaps/pics if you wanted? Thanks! 

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀