Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:28:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New H81 Pro MB will not post - New Build  (Read 818 times)
Swimmer63 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 03:49:29 AM

I have built a good number of these, but I have one brand new board I can't get to even boot to the setup screen.
When I start it up the PSU stutters twice then on the third go it runs.  CPU fan turns, I hear the HD click, but no lights on internet connection, not video.
I just pulled the PSU off a working rig so it's good.
I have changed out the memory and currently have just one stick in.
Unplugged keyboard and mouse.
Reconnected CPU power.
Have tried onboard video and GPU's, but I can't get a light on the board at all so I don't think that matters.  Currently no GPU's connected, just onboard chipset.
Monitor, PSU and memory are all off a Z77 Extreme 6 I was using and I just wanted to replace the MB.  Brand new cpu.  But I did take it out and examined all the pins.  Reseated it.  Appears fine.

Been through this already :
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1893016/post-system-boot-video-output-troubleshooting-checklist.html

Any suggestions - bad board?

EDIT - only message on the monitor is "HDMI in Power Saving mode"
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
alrami

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 04:11:14 AM

I have built a good number of these, but I have one brand new board I can't get to even boot to the setup screen.
When I start it up the PSU stutters twice then on the third go it runs.  CPU fan turns, I hear the HD click, but no lights on internet connection, not video.
Reconnected CPU power.
Have tried onboard video and GPU's, but I can't get a light on the board at all so I don't think that matters.  Currently no GPU's connected, just onboard chipset.
Monitor, PSU and memory are all off a Z77 Extreme 6 I was using and I just wanted to replace the MB.  Brand new cpu.  But I did take it out and examined all the pins.  Reseated it.  Appears fine.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1893016/post-system-boot-video-output-troubleshooting-checklist.html

Try to clear a MB BIOS. Once upon a time it helps me..
In another way better to change a MB, if it can be easily done.

edit: message - mean monitor see no signal
Bidnant

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 09:33:30 AM

You need to swap the memory slot or change a new memory. I had this problem before, and solved it by doing that.
joblo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1114

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 03:21:05 PM

No beeps, no lights, no good.

The 2 unknowns are the MB & CPU, it looks like one of those. If you know how to test HW you can get out the voltmeter.
Otherwise it looks like trial and error. If you have another compatible MB or CPU (or can borrow one for testing) you
can isolate the faulty component.

AKA JayDDee, cpuminer-opt developer. https://github.com/JayDDee/cpuminer-opt
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5226770.msg53865575#msg53865575
BTC: 12tdvfF7KmAsihBXQXynT6E6th2c2pByTT,
Saksham

Activity: 570
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 03:46:20 PM

Reconnected CPU power.

If you have tried all the failure verification ( including Bios reset, jumper reset, memory, cpu, PSU, etc) just change your MOBO  Wink
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3864

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 04:38:58 PM
Last edit: December 06, 2016, 05:50:50 PM by Biodom

I had something like this happening with one H97 anniversary board.
I got a suggestion to look at the CPU bed and see if any of the tiny connectors are out of place (bent on one direction or another). sometimes you can see this as an imperfection even with a naked eye first.
I had to look under the strong magnifying glass-and there were multiple connectors (looking like tiny needles) out of alignment.
I used the sharp forceps and/or a needle to nudge them back in order, but it was very precise work under the strong magnifying glass.
I had one in the lamp, so it helped with illumination.
You can easily overdo it. In the end it worked and it posted, etc.

EDIT: I see that you are saying that you examined the pins...maybe take another look at bed pins, especially on the periphery, where it is difficult to see...try first with a naked eye, then with a mag glass. At first i only adjusted pins in the middle (did not see bent pins on periphery), then after adjusting all it posted. Could be something else, though.
miropp

Activity: 810
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 08:56:25 PM

I had similar problems several times
1/ bad GPU card
2/ bad or incompatible memory, or bad memory slot
3/ sometimes can help BIOS CMOS reset

Swimmer63 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 09:48:55 PM

Reconnected CPU power.

Try to clear a MB BIOS. Once upon a time it helps me..
In another way better to change a MB, if it can be easily done.

edit: message - mean monitor see no signal

Thanks.  I meant to add that I had cleared the CMOS.  That did not seem to effect anything.
Swimmer63 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 09:50:26 PM

Bringing home a different PSU to see if that has any effect.  But I think I have a bad board.
I know they don't make many of these H81's and in some cases when you buy a new it has sat in a warehouse somewhere for a few years. 
mettalmag
Legendary

Activity: 1084
Merit: 1003

≡v≡

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 10:30:30 PM

Bringing home a different PSU to see if that has any effect.  But I think I have a bad board.
I know they don't make many of these H81's and in some cases when you buy a new it has sat in a warehouse somewhere for a few years. 
Have you tried switching to another hdd/ssd ?
For these last week four or five of my SSDs died for just no reason, all of them kingston v300
Swimmer63 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2016, 01:57:17 AM

Have you tried switching to another hdd/ssd ?
For these last week four or five of my SSDs died for just no reason, all of them kingston v300
No I have not.  But since nothing is lighting up and can't even get the ASRock Setup screen I don't think it's the HD.

So I plugged in a new psu and got the exact same result.  It started and stopped twice, on the third start cpu fan stayed on.  But still no lights, no video from the onboard card.  So this mother is getting returned.  Luckily I got it from a vendor on Amazon so should not have a problem returning it.

Thank you all for your suggestions.  Appreciate the support!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: