Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:16:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin created 8gb of files, filling up my SSD, are these needed?  (Read 1227 times)
Neverest (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 07:25:46 PM

It took a long time to start and synchronize the Wallet. It appears that almost 8gb of files were created in the appdate/roaming/bitcoin folder.

As this is a considerable portion of my SSD:
- Are these files forever needed or can I remove them?
- Will these grow with all new transactions? If so, then they might grow into dozens of gb?
- Can these files be moved if they can not be deleted, without haviong to re-synch?

Thanks!
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 07:35:08 PM

The bitcoin-qt client is a full node client, it download the whole blockchain, wich contain all the transactions of the bitcoin network since it started. And it is connected to other nodes and sends and receive the blocks and relay the transactions.
You can keep these files on another folder with the -datadir command, not a good idea to keep 8 GB of blockchain on a SSD Cheesy

Or you can use a lightweight client like Multibit or a online wallet like Blockchain.info

holy_cow

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 07:35:37 PM

There are other applications that don't have to download the whole blockchain as well.

http://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet
Neverest (OP)

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 08:25:11 PM

It took a long time to start and synchronize the Wallet. It appears that almost 8gb of files were created in the appdate/roaming/bitcoin folder.

- Will these grow with all new transactions? If so, then they might grow into dozens of gb?
- Can these files be moved if they can not be deleted, without haviong to re-synch?

Thanks!
That's the blockchain and there's not much point having it on an SSD, the whole folder on a conventional drive and linked to the current location would be ok.

Thanks guys.
It's all downloaded and synched now, so might as well use the data and have plenty of space elsewhere.
I use the windows client and there is no (?) option to set the data directory, I can also not find any .conf file in the program folder. Is there a way to point the client to a new data directory?

Thanks!
eggie

Activity: 11

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 08:48:52 PM

Thanks!
That's the blockchain and there's not much point having it on an SSD, the whole folder on a conventional drive and linked to the current location would be ok.

Thanks guys.
It's all downloaded and synched now, so might as well use the data and have plenty of space elsewhere.
I use the windows client and there is no (?) option to set the data directory, I can also not find any .conf file in the program folder. Is there a way to point the client to a new data directory?

Thanks!
I don't use windows myself but i'd say creating a shortcut to the .exe file that starts bitcoin-qt on windows with the argument -datadir "d:\locationofdatadir" would be easies.

Info on passing arguments in shortcuts:
http://superuser.com/questions/29569/how-to-add-command-line-options-to-shortcut
mitty

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 08:51:50 PM

Keeping the blockchain on an SSD is nice if you can spare the space... it makes starting the client much faster than when you keep the blockchain on a regular hard drive.
Neverest (OP)

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 09:08:20 PM

Thanks!

Thanks guys.

Thanks!
I don't use windows myself but i'd say creating a shortcut to the .exe file that starts bitcoin-qt on windows with the argument -datadir "d:\locationofdatadir" would be easies.

http://superuser.com/questions/29569/how-to-add-command-line-options-to-shortcut

Thanks, that is very useful anyway.
I just downloaded the Multibit wallet instead, which seems to work without downloading all blocks. Transfer from the Old wallet to the Multibit wallet is instant, so I assume I can transfer all and close/delete/purge the old wallet and all blocks?
eggie

Activity: 11

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:41:24 AM

Thanks!

Thanks guys.

Thanks!

Thanks, that is very useful anyway.
I just downloaded the Multibit wallet instead, which seems to work without downloading all blocks. Transfer from the Old wallet to the Multibit wallet is instant, so I assume I can transfer all and close/delete/purge the old wallet and all blocks?
That assumption is correct. Wait for at least a few confirmations though. It's unlikely that you'll double-spend it yourself, but you can never be too sure Wink
nebulus

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

... it only gets better...

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 12:23:55 PM

Thanks!
1. You need them
2. Yes
3. Yes

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: