Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:05:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it beneficial to use a VPN if I'm already using Tails?  (Read 739 times)
AkhenatensBro (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 01:20:35 AM

Smiley

Is it worth buying a VPN if I download tails? Also how do I download tails?
Also what is the most anonymous (best?) emailing provider to use.

To secure myself into the internet with "absolute" anonymity should I sign up into said email provider AFTER I've established my anonymity or does it not matter?

Also I'm running off a dell computer/ like the cheap slow kind, how does that equate into my "power in the net." How are macs compared to Microsoft brand? Are there more vulnerabilities with one sort vs the other?
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CryptoCypherCoin

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

Developer at TheCryptoChat

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2016, 01:44:27 AM

Smiley

Is it worth buying a VPN if I download tails? Also how do I download tails?
Also what is the most anonymous (best?) emailing provider to use.

To secure myself into the internet with "absolute" anonymity should I sign up into said email provider AFTER I've established my anonymity or does it not matter?

Also I'm running off a dell computer/ like the cheap slow kind, how does that equate into my "power in the net." How are macs compared to Microsoft brand? Are there more vulnerabilities with one sort vs the other?

Yes completely!

AkhenatensBro (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 02:00:39 AM

Thanks man.
ja23

Activity: 753
Merit: 505

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 02:19:13 AM

Depends on your reasons for having it.
protokol
Legendary

Activity: 1188
Merit: 1016

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 03:21:53 AM

I'm not an expert, but as far as I know Tails doesn't obscure anything from your ISP.

Obviously if you're using Tor through Tails, then your ISP can't see what you're browsing, but they know you're using Tor.

With a VPN, your ISP can't tell if you're using Tor or not, or know what websites you are connecting to.

The main advantage of Tails is that it runs entirely in RAM, and doesn't permanently save anything to your computer's hard drives/SSDs.

Edit: So basically, a VPN is the best option. With all of the crazy surveillance legislation going on atm, I personally think everyone should be using a VPN. I've been trying to convince a lot of my friends/family to use VPNs, with varying success...
AkhenatensBro (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 06:24:13 PM

Thanks.
Drowzy

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

ZZzzzzzzz..

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 06:33:36 PM

I'm not an expert, but as far as I know Tails doesn't obscure anything from your ISP.

Obviously if you're using Tor through Tails, then your ISP can't see what you're browsing, but they know you're using Tor.

With a VPN, your ISP can't tell if you're using Tor or not, or know what websites you are connecting to.

The main advantage of Tails is that it runs entirely in RAM, and doesn't permanently save anything to your computer's hard drives/SSDs.

Edit: So basically, a VPN is the best option. With all of the crazy surveillance legislation going on atm, I personally think everyone should be using a VPN. I've been trying to convince a lot of my friends/family to use VPNs, with varying success...

VPN providers also have to keep all their records by law. So if your doing illegal things make sure you're also using TOR or something similar.

AkhenatensBro (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 06:41:58 PM

I mustn't be tracked or logged.
AkhenatensBro (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 08:39:40 PM
Last edit: December 28, 2016, 08:50:09 PM by AkhenatensBro

I just obtained two USB storage devices, does it matter where (geographically) I download tails?

Edit: Should I know if my router has been compromised?
adidas

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Americans do it better

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 11:55:59 PM

Never heard of tails.  If it's like TOR network then you are safe because tracking on that is next to impossible.

protokol
Legendary

Activity: 1188
Merit: 1016

View Profile
December 29, 2016, 10:35:30 PM

VPN providers also have to keep all their records by law. So if your doing illegal things make sure you're also using TOR or something similar.

False.

Many VPN providers (including the one I use) are run in countries which do not require this. The VPN I use has had multiple subpoenas against it which have never been successful, because they do not keep logs.

Repeat: They do not keep logs. They may be lying, but the unsuccessful subpoenas are evidence to the contrary.
AkhenatensBro (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2016, 10:51:59 PM

Maybe they did what was necessary for people such as yourself to trust them.
AkhenatensBro (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 05:30:32 AM

I believe the best means of anonymity (correct me if you believe I'm wrong) is to use a "Tor bridge(?)". Not traceable, not loggable, and won't gather attention from the authorities.
AkhenatensBro (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 09:26:59 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2017, 06:51:22 AM by AkhenatensBro

I'd like this thread to be a source of knowledge to be viewed by many people.
AkhenatensBro (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2017, 07:01:31 PM

Any last words?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: