Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:49:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ETH][Mixer]Laundromat - decentralized Ethereum mixer  (Read 2803 times)
blackyblack (OP)

Activity: 377
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 07:46:24 PM
Last edit: December 13, 2016, 09:29:11 AM by blackyblack

LAUNDROMAT
Start laundering your coins now!

Laundromat allows anyone to create or join a mixing session. A predefined amount of participants should join the mixing session by sending a predefined amount of Ether each (eg 1 ETH from 5 participants). After all participants has joined the session each of them can redeem their deposit without any link between sending and receiving account.

BitBoost team has made a true decentralized mixer which is using Ethereum Smart Contracts. Mixer is using ring signatures to detach the senders from the recipients. The implementation was influenced from the work by Vitalik Buterin: https://github.com/ethereum/pyethereum/blob/serenity/ethereum/ringsig.se.py.

The project is open-source and is free of charge for using. The source code is here: https://github.com/blackyblack/laundromat.

Download the app here: https://github.com/blackyblack/laundromat/releases/download/1.0/laundromat-1.0.zip.

Now available as a web version: https://laundromat-site.github.io
Simply install MetaMask plugin (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/nkbihfbeogaeaoehlefnkodbefgpgknn) and you will have a safe and easy way to mix your coins.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
blackyblack (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 07:46:34 PM
Last edit: December 13, 2016, 09:52:17 AM by blackyblack

FAQ

Q: Do I need geth running?
A: No. You can run your own local geth with RPC enabled: geth.exe --rpc --rpcport "8545" --rpcaddr="localhost" --rpccorsdomain "*" but much easier is to use web version https://laundromat-site.github.io/ with MetaMask browser plugin enabled.

Q: Do I need to unlock my account?
A: Yes. When using local geth you should unlock your account to create, join or withdraw from your mixing session. With MetaMask you will see a notification to confirm each transaction separately.

Q: What if I do not have enough participants? My funds are locked?
A: Yes your funds are locked but you can create more participants (not real) to gain access to your funds. In this case your coins won't be properly mixed.

Q: Is ETC supported?
A: Yes you can deploy mixers on ETC network.

Q: How can I know it is safe for use?
A: You can ask someone to check the source code of the app and contracts. And ring signature implementation should be audited as well. With MetaMask plugin you will see details of each transaction and reject any suspicious transfers.

Q: What language is it?
A: It is Javascript. Contracts are using Solidity language.

Q: Is app a binary?
A: No it is a HTML page with some Javascript. It is running in your browser.

Q: What is MetaMask?
A: MetaMask is a browser plugin. It uses own geth nodes to broadcast transactions. And it allows to block any transaction before sending it to the network. See https://metamask.io/

Q: It seems MetaMask does not allow me to import my main Ethereum account. What to do?
A: MetaMask devs have promised to add Ethereum accounts import feature very soon. Yet you can send the desired amount of Ether to the newly created MetaMask account.
blackyblack (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 07:46:45 PM

Laundromat does not support automatic discovery of exisiting mixings. Feel free to post here your newly created mixings to get more participants.
blackyblack (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 07:50:27 PM

My working doc with some thoughts of building decentralized mixer: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KtAn_gMATO2D2WLDPQdtS2IcmTZDUorFmfIlZm64-Ys

Someone might find it helpful I guess.
BTCDDev

Activity: 255

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 08:06:39 PM

Wow, very nice. I will be watching this for sure  Cool

BitcoinDark: RPHWc5CwP9YMMbvXQ4oXz5rQHb3pKkhaxc
Top Donations: juicybirds 420BTCD ensorcell 84BTCD Stuntruffle: 40BTCD
Top April Donations: juicybirds 420BTCD; ensorcell: 42BTCD
blackyblack (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2016, 06:29:29 AM

UI looks like this:

blackyblack (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2016, 12:49:34 PM

Buterin has left an important notice on Reddit:

I want to provide a note of caution: IMO it's not a good idea to rely on services using advanced crypto to protect your privacy unless that crypto is either (i) very widely standardized, or (ii) well-audited. I would not trust my own ringsig code or zksnark code for high-value privacy needs unless someone much more specialized in the field than myself looked at the code and said that it's fine; otherwise, there may be data leaks that we're not even aware of.
So I'd recommend people experiment with this stuff and start integrating it in low-value applications so that the community gets used to working with it, but we should exercise a fair bit of caution before we start acting like it's guaranteed to protect you.

I have tested the service with small amounts and I do not see how the privacy can be leaked but 3rd party audit of the underlying cryptograhy is very welcome.

Another redditor has suggested to deploy a web hosted version and use it with MetaMask. BitBoost will consider this proposal (despite Laundromat is just a small side project targeted to enrich the Ethereum ecosystem).
propcorn

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2016, 02:08:36 PM

so, this is a laundry service ?   Grin
I like to see this kind of projects, but IMO its not good enough, this kind of services will depend on the number of participants, and participants with ligit tokens have no reason to mix them, so progbalby you will get yourself with tokens comming from places even worse than your own
blackyblack (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2016, 08:20:35 PM

so, this is a laundry service ?   Grin
I like to see this kind of projects, but IMO its not good enough, this kind of services will depend on the number of participants, and participants with ligit tokens have no reason to mix them, so progbalby you will get yourself with tokens comming from places even worse than your own

BitBoost has implemented Laundromat as a part of a bigger project. We have noticed that Ethereum ecosystem lacks unlinkable payments so we built it. We hope that our bigger project will add an incentive for legit users to start using Laundromat as well and add transactions volume for better privacy and user experience.
poofknuckle

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2016, 08:50:50 PM

I have made a contract:

0x934cbbe5377358e6712b5f041d90313d935c501c

It's a small experiment, just 5 participants (so 4, since I have joined it already), mixing 1 ether.

blackyblack (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2016, 09:30:51 AM

Ported to MetaMask. Simply install MetaMask plugin in your browser and visit https://laundromat-site.github.io.
stardustin

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 12:25:00 PM

Does Ethet and bitcoin mixer has same structure? I don't know many things inside mixers code. Is mixing process done so simply with help from this source code? I thought there was need of many API's and etc
blackyblack (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 04:32:16 PM

Does Ethet and bitcoin mixer has same structure? I don't know many things inside mixers code. Is mixing process done so simply with help from this source code? I thought there was need of many API's and etc
There is nothing like this for Bitcoin. The mixing is done inside the Ethereum smart contract so not trusted party is involved and no fees are paid except gas for Ethereum transactions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: