Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:22:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Same bitcoin address twice?  (Read 8567 times)
duckfeet (OP)

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 03:09:58 AM

I just did that: got two coins from different sources...first one came through fine, and without realizing my wallet had changed addresses, I sent seller *first* address.  I know you should always changed addresses...but will it get through if I don't?  TIA

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
linenoise

Activity: 304
Merit: 290

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2011, 03:16:20 AM

Your wallet can have as many addresses as you wish. You don't have to change addresses each transaction and you can have multiple transactions to and from a single address.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 03:17:03 AM

Yes, it will be fine.  Addresses are valid forever, it's just bad for anonimity to use them more than once.  Actually, you can receive with them hundreds of times, but it's best not to reuse an address once it's been used to send coins once.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Dickmoney

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 03:21:23 AM

Couldn't someone just generate millions of addresses and use up every possible variant?
Theoretically speaking, of course. What would happen if this happened and there literally was't anymore viable addresses left to be generated?
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 03:36:37 AM

Couldn't someone just generate millions of addresses and use up every possible variant?
Theoretically speaking, of course. What would happen if this happened and there literally was't anymore viable addresses left to be generated?

Although the namespace isn't infinite, it's beyond human comprehension.  If you set a brand new, high end computer to the task of seeking a collision (what you are describing) you might finish up before the Sun turns into a red giant and engulfs the Earth into heat death.  It's unlikely, however, that said time frame is a concern.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

duckfeet (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 04:17:10 AM

thankyou guys: I got really panicked: I bought one coin, came thru fine,so I got all excited and bought 10, and then freaked out...I was trying to research it, but I'm o.k. now, and see that it's loading up the blocks...is it always this slow tho, about an hr?
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 04:22:13 AM

thankyou guys: I got really panicked: I bought one coin, came thru fine,so I got all excited and bought 10, and then freaked out...I was trying to research it, but I'm o.k. now, and see that it's loading up the blocks...is it always this slow tho, about an hr?

If the transaction is sent without a fee, then it will be ignored by the miners until it's old enough to have the minimum priority level to be included in the free transaction section of the block.  With a voluntary fee, the priority is much higher and the miner's will include it into the next block.

Dude65535

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 05:52:06 AM

Now that you have some bitcoins, have you backed up your wallet?

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet

1DCj8ZwGZXQqQhgv6eUEnWgsxo8BTMj3mT
duckfeet (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 06:34:24 AM
Last edit: June 15, 2011, 06:53:09 AM by duckfeet

Now that you have some bitcoins, have you backed up your wallet?

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet

Nope, sure haven't...gotta get on that, I guess...thankyou!

EDIT: so, could I just encrypt wallet.dat, and then save in dropbox.  I was reading over the article.  I'd need to redo this regularly, or find a way to automatically encrypt wallet.dat, and then set dropbox to save it regularly.  I'm thinking... Smiley
duckfeet (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 06:55:01 AM

If the transaction is sent without a fee, then it will be ignored by the miners until it's old enough to have the minimum priority level to be included in the free transaction section of the block.  With a voluntary fee, the priority is much higher and the miner's will include it into the next block.

Oh, o.k.: I went to 'settings' and set that to the voluntary fee...see how that goes...thankyou!
samr7

Activity: 140
Merit: 430

Firstbits: 1samr7

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 08:07:50 AM

EDIT: so, could I just encrypt wallet.dat, and then save in dropbox.  I was reading over the article.  I'd need to redo this regularly, or find a way to automatically encrypt wallet.dat, and then set dropbox to save it regularly.  I'm thinking... Smiley

From reading the code, it would seem that by default, a new wallet contains a pool of 100 unused pre-computed private keys for receiving addresses.  If you back up an empty wallet, use some receiving addresses (but less than 100), and then restore the empty wallet over your used wallet, bitcoin will still have your balances, although the names attached to the receiving addresses will be lost.
duckfeet (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 08:19:47 AM

From reading the code, it would seem that by default, a new wallet contains a pool of 100 unused pre-computed private keys for receiving addresses.  If you back up an empty wallet, use some receiving addresses (but less than 100), and then restore the empty wallet over your used wallet, bitcoin will still have your balances, although the names attached to the receiving addresses will be lost.

Yeah: I mean, I'm trying to think of it kind of like a bank account, except it weird, if u know what I mean...I'll be buying...and then selling coins out of my wallet, so I need to back it up regularly...but when I read that link, it sounds like if I'm not careful, I could loose BTC for my troubles...I mean, say I get these just uploaded and saved at Dropbox...can I just get them all back...whenever?  I think I"m missing something basic...
samr7

Activity: 140
Merit: 430

Firstbits: 1samr7

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 09:30:05 AM

Yeah: I mean, I'm trying to think of it kind of like a bank account, except it weird, if u know what I mean...I'll be buying...and then selling coins out of my wallet, so I need to back it up regularly...but when I read that link, it sounds like if I'm not careful, I could loose BTC for my troubles...I mean, say I get these just uploaded and saved at Dropbox...can I just get them all back...whenever?  I think I"m missing something basic...

Correct, if you save your wallet, perform a bunch of transactions, then restore the old wallet, none of your balances will change.

You're not actually uploading all of your bitcoins or even your account balance when you upload your wallet to Dropbox.  Just the keys.

The other 450MB of files in the directory with the wallet are the bitcoin block database.  Every bitcoin client has a copy of this.  It contains all account balances and, for now, the complete transaction record for everyone.  To determine your balance, bitcoin searches the database for all transactions associated with your keys.

Because the database is public and replicated, you can check the activity of anyone else's account, see http://blockexplorer.com.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 03:28:56 PM

Correct, and if you use the -keypool=some.bigger.number switch you can make that advanced keypool arbitrarily large enough to backup for a very long time.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: