Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:27:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So the whole "no market adoption" arguement is now moot  (Read 1328 times)
Stampbit (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 05:24:47 AM

https://bitspend.net/

Order From Anywhere

With Bitspend, your options for purchasing with Bitcoins become unlimited. No longer shop based on who accepts Bitcoins, now shop where you want to

I've not used their service but it appears you send them coin and they purchase on your behalf, which should be interesting to see how retailers respond to this (can you say TOS hell).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NikolaTesla

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 05:29:20 AM

Order From Anywhere

With Bitspend, your options for purchasing with Bitcoins become unlimited. No longer shop based on who accepts Bitcoins, now shop where you want to

I've not used their service but it appears you send them coin and they purchase on your behalf, which should be interesting to see how retailers respond to this (can you say TOS hell).

I doubt the retailers will turn down extra business Smiley

The problem is it ends up being more expensive for the consumer because they're paying more markup to cover the overhead of the intermediary. That's why pizzaforcoins doesn't work; you end up paying ~$40 for a pizza that should cost you $25.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 05:35:32 AM

Order From Anywhere

Thank you, I have been looking for this site since the first time I saw it.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 06:03:38 AM

Order From Anywhere

I doubt the retailers will turn down extra business Smiley

The problem is it ends up being more expensive for the consumer because they're paying more markup to cover the overhead of the intermediary. That's why pizzaforcoins doesn't work; you end up paying ~$40 for a pizza that should cost you $25.

Actually the cost is only $2 for up to $50. I am charged more than that for paying my electric bill online.

At the rate Bitcoin is rising, the 4% charge would have been eaten up in a few hours of holding bitcoins instead of dollars. (if you had bought $50 worth of bitcoins at $184 6 hours ago and then bought something through bitspend at the current price $192, the fee would be moot). But it is more likely that you would have your dollars in bitcoins much longer than a couple of hours.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Kyt Dotson

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 06:04:53 AM

I've seen this.

Has anyone used their service yet and has a testimonial as to how it went for them?

SiliconANGLE: Bitcoin Weekly (My weekly column)
Read Black Hat Magick - not your ordinary detective agency - geeky fiction
BTC: 13MPMB6wU9j9RcqFRsubtngmtmvh3guZGp
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 06:09:54 AM

I've seen this.

Has anyone used their service yet and has a testimonial as to how it went for them?

I was just reading a review:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1a8idx/i_bought_groceries_with_bitcoin_a_bitspend_review/

Buying groceries is, in my opinion, one of the primary indicators of a payment method's maturity. So naturally I was excited to see that Bitspend is making it possible for me to buy groceries with bitcoin. My regular grocery store offers online ordering and delivery service through My Web Grocer, though until now I have never used it since the physical store is just a couple blocks away.

Timeline of ordering process:
 •Mon. 11pm - Submit Bitspend order form, requesting Wednesday, 10am delivery time.
 •Tues. 10am - Receive email from Bitspend confirming order receipt
 •Tues. 12:40pm - Receive email from Bitspend indicating incomplete order information (I had given them URLs that lacked a store ID#, so I needed to specify which MWG store to order from)
 •Tues. 3:52pm - Send email to Bitspend with the necessary information to complete my order
 •Tues. 4:39pm - Receive invoice from Bitspend with wallet address and order cost, valid for 30 minutes. (I was away from my wallet so I could not pay at the time.)
 •Tues. 7:20pm - Send email to Bitspend requesting new order cost and wallet address.
 •Tues. 7:27pm - Receive new payment information
 •Tues. 7:36pm - Payment initiated
 •Tues. 7:45pm - Receive order receipt from MWG via email from Bitspend confirming placement of order
 •Wed. 10:10am - First attempted delivery (I didn't hear the door knock)
 •Wed. 11:35am - Wondering where the order is, I email Bitspend.
 •Wed. 11:38am - Receive complete MWG invoice indicating order details (but no confirmation of scheduled delivery time)
 •Wed. 11:43am - I call the grocery store directly and tell them that my order hasn't arrived yet. They immediately guess which address I'm calling from (I confirm) and tell me they will arrive in 5 minutes.
 •Wed. 11:50am - Groceries arrive at my front door, I sign a receipt, and I receive physical copies of MWG invoice and grocery store transaction itemization.

Total turnaround time: ~36 hours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pros:
 •All communication from Bitspend was impressively prompt.
 •I got to order groceries with bitcoin (duh!)
 •Bitspend normally asks for full confirmation of payment before proceeding with order. They offered to proceed after just 1 confirmation for my order since the requested delivery time was imminent.

Cons:
 •Invoices received from Bitspend were often missing relevant information. I always had the information I needed to complete my part of the order process, but I would have liked to see more information so I know exactly what's going on. For example, when I received my initial order invoice and payment request, the order total (in $), MWG service charge (in $), Bitspend service charge (in $), and requested payment amount (in BTC) were all listed, but there was no subtotal (in $) listed, and no listed quote of MTGox weighted average (which was used to convert $ to BTC). Obviously I could figure this out with simple arithmetic, but it could easily be listed directly on the invoice to save me the hassle.
 •Requested payment amounts were quoted to 10-15 BTC, while transactions are limited to 10-8 BTC, or 1 satoshi. I rounded to the nearest satoshi (which in my case was rounding up), and I asked Bitspend what was the appropriate way to truncate the amount, but I'm still not clear on what is expected. Requested payment amounts should simply be presented to the user with no more than 8 decimal places to avoid ambiguity.
 •I included some produce in my order, such as 2 lbs of ground beef, which of course ended up delivered as something like 2.02 lbs. The amount I was charged by Bitspend reflects the amount indicated on my order form (in round numbers), while the amount Bitspend paid to MWG appears to reflect the amount that was actually delivered. Overall the price I paid to Bitspend was $1.15 too high for the amount of produce I received. I imagine this could swing in the user's favor at some point if the initial price were an underestimate (instead of the overestimate I paid). It would be nice if the price I pay accurately reflects the delivered products' price, but I'm not really sweating the difference. (This seems to be an issue with MWG itself, rather than Bitspend. See edit 1 below.)
 •Including MWG fees ($4.95), Bitspend fees ($2.50), and overestimated initial price ($1.15), I could have saved $8.60 if I went to the store in person. Actually, I was charged no taxes in this transaction, and I may have been charged 5.5% sales tax on some of these items if I purchased them in person, so maybe the fees are not that bad.
 •Just about every time I sent an email to Bitspend, I received a spammy auto-reply message telling me that my order is in queue to be processed, and I continue to get such messages when emailing Bitspend after my order has been completed. This feels really unprofessional. (See edit 1 below for Bitspend's response)
 •Having to request a new destination address and MTGox quote if I don't pay within 30 minutes of receipt of the invoice is somewhat irritating. Bitspend told me that this process will be automated soon though, and the 30 minute time limit will no longer apply.
 •Bitspend's website indicates a 10-item limit for orders of $50-100. My order was in this price range, and included 15 items, and I was charged $2.50 for my order, so I'm not sure if the item limit was waived, or does not apply to an itemized grocery list. I'm not sure if this belongs as a "con" or a "pro" or as a "I'm confused by their website still". Some clarification would be nice.

Overall impressions

I was generally very happy to be able to spend my coins on groceries, and most of the difficulties were tolerable and understandable for a 4-person startup in its second week of operation. Hopefully those difficulties will be ironed out soon though if Bitspend is going to maintain a professional image. I will likely do most of my grocery shopping this way in the future, as long as I can tolerate the turnaround time from order submission to receipt of goods. Most of the delays I experienced can be eliminated now that I know how things work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit 1: I received a response regarding the price estimation issue and email spam:

I can absolutely guarantee one thing--If we were charged LESS than whats on the invoice, we will send you a refund of the difference within seconds. If we were charged less, we did not know it. I am sure you can understand that we paid the invoice of <redacted>--and we were nto told the price "might change"! We will look through our charges this evening and if we DO see that we were charged less we will notifyyou for an address to send the BTC back to.

As far as your email, we had NO IDEA you were getting those emails, they should NOT be going out--that was a test that was cancelled and it seems only a few people for some reason or another have the reply-email issue, our apologies--we;re looking into fixing it now.

Thanks, Justin

edit 2: Justin sent me another email offering to refund the $1.15 misestimation in price, even though he's not sure yet if it's Bitspend or MWG or the grocer who kept the profit. He is also refunding my $2.50 Bitspend fee. This kind of customer service is why I decided to use Bitspend in the first place!

Stampbit (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 06:12:36 AM

From trying their bookmark order option, it basically grabs the url of whatever page your on then opens up a form that asks for your personal info, which gets submitted to their team who then manually creates an invoice (for that item) and awaits your payment, at which point they purchase the product through their account with the vendor and it gets shipped to you. They also have an anonymous option but im not sure how that works as you'd have to give your info anyways. This seems like a really cumbersome process fraught with peril, but still neat nonetheless.
Kyt Dotson

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 06:47:38 AM

Nice find, Elwar. It is an interesting service, and as mentioned it seems extremely cumbersome. I guess at this stage the sort of thing that they intend to do will be done this way. I'm guessing it might get better if it becomes more popular... I'll have to look into it further.

I also, would love to buy my groceries with BTC. Just because...

SiliconANGLE: Bitcoin Weekly (My weekly column)
Read Black Hat Magick - not your ordinary detective agency - geeky fiction
BTC: 13MPMB6wU9j9RcqFRsubtngmtmvh3guZGp
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 11:34:49 PM

I was able to get on their page when I went home last night.

It appears that they are planning on offering monthly fees. I believe it was $5 for a month's worth of purchases up to $350, $8 for up to $1,500 and another one above that.

I would consider doing $5/month for that. I could cover all of my online purchases for most months and only us Bitcoins from here on out.

Getting closer and closer to no more need for dollars at all.

zkay

Activity: 126

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:04:10 AM

It appears that they are planning on offering monthly fees. I believe it was $5 for a month's worth of purchases up to $350, $8 for up to $1,500 and another one above that.

I would consider doing $5/month for that. I could cover all of my online purchases for most months and only us Bitcoins from here on out.

I made an order and paid $1100 worth of BTC a few days ago and that $1100 is sitting in limbo right now, no product and spotty communication. Don't get too excited, their service like all the others are suffering from bitcoin's 'success' right now.
Stampbit (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:33:08 PM

I made an order and paid $1100 worth of BTC a few days ago and that $1100 is sitting in limbo right now, no product and spotty communication. Don't get too excited, their service like all the others are suffering from bitcoin's 'success' right now.

Nobody wants to use bitcoin except to ponzi late adopters.
zkay

Activity: 126

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:42:35 PM

Nobody wants to use bitcoin except to ponzi late adopters.

Really wishing I'd just cashed out and used dreaded FRN's to buy what I wanted. This has been such a headache.
Stampbit (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:28:56 PM

i saw bitspend just started posting ads, anyone have any more experience with them?
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:45:52 PM

There's tons of businesses accepting Bitcoin directly. Including mine. Services like these won't be needed much longer, they barely are now.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: