Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 10:44:38 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Weird question, but please answer. Coin's to hold for 6 years. I'm going to jail  (Read 4210 times)
RobFre

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 04:58:51 PM

You should choose bitcoin, but not invest all of you money in it. The risk of the price of Bitcoin going down really hard is very low, but it still exist. I would go 67% fiat (maybe a low risk investment in a bank) and 33% bitcoins.
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 05:25:49 PM

I would go 67% fiat (maybe a low risk investment in a bank) and 33% bitcoins.

The dollar will not exist in 6 years and "investing" in fiat has never been a good investment:

The death of the dollar is set in stone now with what's happening in the bond markets.  No foreign countries want worthless US debt paper at all anymore.  They're not only not buying it, they're also dumping the ones they already have.  When the debt market has no buyers, the interest rates skyrocket, then the price to service the debt exceeds what can be paid and the debt is defaulted on.  Or they can just print and buy their own bonds, monetizing the debt and end in hyperinflation.

Regardless of how it plays out, the end is drawing near for the dollar and metals are going to the moon soon.  There might be a deflationary crash as all the debts are defaulted on that takes the price of everything down, but there's no way I'm sitting on the sidelines with worthless fiat waiting to buy that when there will be bank holidays and capital controls when it happens preventing you from doing anything.  

There may also be a surprise new Bretton Woods that comes out of nowhere where they just revalue gold at $10,000 - $20,000 overnight.  Having 0 metals or sitting on the sideline waiting for a deflationary crash to buy isn't a very good idea.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 05:32:32 PM

Hey man, sorry to hear that.

Not to sadden you but 6 years is a crazy long time. Especially in crypto where time flies much, much faster. 6 years is basically an eternity in crypto. In fact, as others said, Bitcoin itself might not be around by that time. Personally, I highly doubt that though.

The next BTC reward halving is about 3.5 years away. That should push the price high.

But, even if the price would triple, that's still a pretty shit return for 6 years if you ask me. And while $15k is a nice sum of money, in the perspective of 6 years it's a pretty small amount so I wouldn't go crazy and expect miracles.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd invest that money outside of crypto. I'd probably give it to someone who I trust who has a business and a head on his neck...

And I would definitely not invest in gold/silver, in fact, long term I would avoid them like the plague.

But if I had to invest in crypto, I'd go 100% Bitcoin.

Not your keys, not your coins!
Huge Black Woman

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 05:36:53 PM

If they have a commissary account, put the max you can on that.  No sense running out of Ramen and peanut butter while you in the hoose gow.  Aside from that, buy bitcoin.  Stay away from the other cryptos.  In six years they ain't gonna exist and den you be broke.
sui_generis

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 05:49:17 PM
Last edit: December 11, 2016, 06:06:22 PM by sui_generis

Don't buy gold or silver, that's one of the dumbest things you could do. Precious metals are an old paradigm. Invest in the future, not in the past. Put 25% in Bitcoin, 50% in an ETF that tracks the S&P 500, like VOO, and 25% into tech company stocks (If you're feeling like a risk taker, buy Tesla, if not then do stuff like Google, Baidu, etc).  People who spout nonsense like "The dollar is going to collapse!" are dimwits. These nuts have been around since forever. Those who listened to them after 2008 (i.e. invested in gold/silver/canned food/ammo) got wrecked, while those who invested in real estate or stocks did very well.
sui_generis

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 05:57:57 PM
Last edit: December 11, 2016, 06:11:04 PM by sui_generis

I would go 67% fiat (maybe a low risk investment in a bank) and 33% bitcoins.

The dollar will not exist in 6 years and "investing" in fiat has never been a good investment:

The death of the dollar is set in stone now with what's happening in the bond markets.  No foreign countries want worthless US debt paper at all anymore.  They're not only not buying it, they're also dumping the ones they already have.  When the debt market has no buyers, the interest rates skyrocket, then the price to service the debt exceeds what can be paid and the debt is defaulted on.  Or they can just print and buy their own bonds, monetizing the debt and end in hyperinflation.

Regardless of how it plays out, the end is drawing near for the dollar and metals are going to the moon soon.  There might be a deflationary crash as all the debts are defaulted on that takes the price of everything down, but there's no way I'm sitting on the sidelines with worthless fiat waiting to buy that when there will be bank holidays and capital controls when it happens preventing you from doing anything.  

There may also be a surprise new Bretton Woods that comes out of nowhere where they just revalue gold at $10,000 - $20,000 overnight.  Having 0 metals or sitting on the sideline waiting for a deflationary crash to buy isn't a very good idea.

I've been listening to people say this for 20 years. Please slink back into your doomsday bunker, while the rest of us move civilization forward, thanks. Gold will not be worth $20,000, because at that price the dirt in my backyard would be considered valuable gold ore. Before gold even gets to $5000, 1000 new mines would open up, supply would increase and your shitty speculation rocks would collapse in value from oversupply.

By the way, how have your investments been doing over the past 4 years? Intelligent people, who invested into the future, and not the past, saw 50% gains. Dimwit gold bugs saw 35-50% losses.

Oh wow, you aren't just a dimwit gold bug, you're also an anti-semite piece of garbage. Sad.
r0ach
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 06:13:22 PM

Don't buy gold or silver, that's one of the dumbest things you could do. Precious metals are an old paradigm. Invest in the future, not in the past. Put 25% in Bitcoin, 50% in an ETF that tracks the S&P 500, like VOO, and 25% into tech company stocks (If you're feeling like a risk taker, buy Tesla, if not then do stuff like Google, Baidu, etc).  People who spout nonsense like "The dollar is going to collapse!" are dimwits. These nuts have been around since forever. Those who listened to them after 2008 (i.e. invested in gold/silver/canned food/ammo) got wrecked, while those who invested in real estate or stocks did very well.

Load of bullshit.  This is basically what the Jews type in the Wall Street Journal about gold to try and bottom the market before they buy it all and send the price 5x higher.  Last time they did this was when they were spamming gold and silver are "barbarous relics" you need to dump.  Turns out that was the bottom of the market when you should be buying instead.  My first ever big investment was going all in on gold at $420, so your lie that everyone "loses" in the metals market is complete bullshit.  Only people that don't know what they're doing.  Metals have been great for me.

Oh wow, you aren't just a dimwit gold bug, you're also an anti-semite piece of garbage. Sad.

JIDF shill detected.  And there is also no reason to buy gold right now.  Everyone that knows what they're doing buys ONLY silver when the GSR is over 50:1.

......ATLANT......
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
sui_generis

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 06:17:53 PM

Load of bullshit.  This is basically what the Jews type in the Wall Street Journal about gold to try and bottom the market before they buy it all and send the price 5x higher.  Last time they did this was when they were spamming gold and silver are "barbarous relics" you need to dump.  Turns out that was the bottom of the market when you should be buying instead.  My first ever big investment was going all in on gold at $420, so your lie that everyone "loses" in the metals market is complete bullshit.  Only people that don't know what they're doing.

You can make money speculating on anything. That doesn't change the fact that gold is a bad investment. Even if it maintains its current price against inflation, there are thousands of opportunities that will out perform it. Of course I wouldn't expect a dimwit antisemite to understand that. Enjoy being an envious loser.
r0ach
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 06:21:24 PM

Spamming the word "antisemite" only works to persuade other Marxists.  Since I am not a Marxist, it's more of a joke or compliment spamming that at me.  Hate to break the bad news to you, but ever since the invention of the internet, just about everyone knows who runs the malevolent, usury banking and media monopoly.  Have fun trying to prop up your dying Marxist usury scams and preventing all the angry villagers from coming after you while I'm happy to sit on the right side of history basking in the glory of ginormous metals gains.

......ATLANT......
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
sui_generis

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 06:24:23 PM

Spamming the word "antisemite" only works to persuade other Marxists.  Since I am not a Marxist, it's more of a joke or compliment spamming that at me.  Hate to break the bad news to you, but ever since the invention of the internet, just about everyone knows who runs the malevolent, usury banking and media monopoly.  Have fun trying to prop up your dying Marxist usury scams while I'm happy to sit on the right side of history.
What are you smoking? I'm staunchly pro capitalism. I hate Marxists with a passion. You sound like a bitter old man.
r0ach
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 06:26:37 PM

What are you smoking? I'm staunchly pro capitalism. I hate Marxists with a passion. You sound like a bitter old man.

Practicing cultural Marxism makes you a Marxist period.  Marxism is 1/2 economic and 1/2 social engineering.  A real capitalist believes in freedom of association and doesn't care about what others do or believe.  But I have no interest in talking to you since you're an obvious garbage shill account, so I'm outta here.

......ATLANT......
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
thepo1m

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 06:27:59 PM

Are you sure with this statement I'm going to jail or just joking. COncerning your question there is no other coin but Bitcoin, it has been tested and proven over and over again.
sui_generis

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 06:29:05 PM

Practicing cultural Marxism makes you a Marxist period.  Marxism is 1/2 economic and 1/2 social engineering.  But I have no interest in talking to you since you're an obvious shill account, so I'm outta here.
That's probably for the best. See ya!
justRandomDude (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2016, 06:35:51 PM

Are you sure with this statement I'm going to jail or just joking. COncerning your question there is no other coin but Bitcoin, it has been tested and proven over and over again.

I'm not jocking. 6 years. But after 4 years grant of parole can be.
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
December 12, 2016, 12:05:45 AM

Yeah, sure take financial advice from the guy who somehow manages to bring jews and Marxists into a simple discussion...

I have to go with sui_generis on this one, "Don't buy gold or silver, that's one of the dumbest things you could do".

I'm not saying you can't make money with them but that doesn't mean that's not a dumb idea to invest in long term.

Not your keys, not your coins!
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1454

View Profile
December 12, 2016, 12:33:03 AM

Hello, community.

Today i lost my last chances for freedom. This is nearly 100% is tomorrow i will go to the jail for the next 6 years.

I have near $15000 and want to buy some coins. What do you think which one should i buy? I already bought eth and gnt.

Only hold bitcoin to be safe. You do not want to go out of jail and realize that the coins you held are all scams and are worth 0. This will make you really angry and look for the people responsible and might do something really bad to them causing you to go back to jail again. Grin

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
mace15

Activity: 1428
Merit: 506

View Profile
December 12, 2016, 01:22:03 AM

Ive never heard gnt will be a good altcoin to invest with in the
first place. Eth, is not good for long term investment, you
migh lose of the coins you choose. For me if I have that
big amount, I would rather choose to invest in bitcoins,
I just hold it for long term investment because for sure I
will earn profit.
legdunes

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 12, 2016, 01:30:46 AM

Bitcoin and some Litecoin would be the best way to go.
ArcCsch

Activity: 224
Merit: 117

▲ Portable backup power source for mining.

View Profile
December 12, 2016, 01:34:09 AM

I think OP wants cryptocurrency to be able to hide it, and deny that it exists, I think OP's plan is to create a BIP38 wallet, memorise the pass-phrase, and publish the key somewhere where it will not be taken down by the police (preferably on the blockchain).
Gold and fiat can be confiscated.

If you don't have sole and complete control over the private keys, you don't have any bitcoin!  Signature campaigns are OK, zero tolorance for spam!
1JGYXhfhPrkiHcpYkiuCoKpdycPhGCuswa
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
December 12, 2016, 02:51:15 AM
Last edit: December 12, 2016, 04:35:42 AM by ArticMine

I am assuming the OP is looking at creating a brain wallet and memorizing it. Furthermore there is no access for six years. The objective is a coin or coins that are likely to be around in six years and would keep or appreciate in value. A portfolio approach can be very useful if one or more of the coins fails entirely. This is a risk with all crypto. I am not including assets such as fiat or precious metals since this may not be a practical option for the OP.

I would not recommend Bitcoin at all because of the blocksize debate. If the current paralysis continues for six years there is a very significant chance that Bitcoin could loose a major part of its value. Furthermore the lack of a tail emission in Bitcoin lies at the heart of the blocksize debate in Bitcoin, since there is no long term solution to securing Bitcoin and allowing a blocksize increase, that has been proposed with just transaction fees  I would want exposure to one or more coins with a tail emission. My choice would be:

1/3 Litecoin.

Litecoin is a good choice since it has considerable history and stability, has 4x the block capacity of Bitcoin and is very well placed to learn from Bitcoin's mistakes while being very similar to Bitcoin. Litecoin does have the same fundamental problem is this area as Bitcoin; however it has the opportunity to learn from Bitcoin and is further behind in the emission curve. I would consider this the "traditional" part of the portfolio.

1/3 Monero

Ok I am biased in favor of Monero since I am a Monero holder and core team member. Monero is very well placed to benefit from a blocksize crisis in Bitcoin because Monero has an adaptive blocksize and a tail emission. It is also based on an entirely different codebase from Bitcoin. The fungibiliy / privacy / anonymity aspect of Monero becomes also a real bonus here.

1/3 Dogecoin

This is actually a very effective hedge for a failure in Monero because it also has a tail emission but is otherwise very similar to Litecoin and Bitcoin.

Edit: Disclosure. At this time I hold a position in Monero, but do not hold positions in Litecoin or Dogecoin.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: