Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 02:05:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mtgox hamster lag issue finally addressed: Mtgox Facebook post  (Read 1695 times)
buddhacoiner (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:05:31 AM

Hamster issue at Mtgox to be addressed by April 17th?  From the Mtgox facebook post:

Orders will only be accepted when there are enough funds available in your wallet!

Dear users, starting on April 17th we will be rolling out a minor change on how people place orders via the Mt.Gox interface.

Until recently, anyone could place a buy or sell order for Bitcoin, regardless of how much funds were actually available in their wallet, resulting in an order showing a "Not enough funds" error status in the Open Orders list.

Starting on April 17th, this counter productive scenario will no longer be possible and will be automatically rejected before validating your order; until you have enough funds in your wallet to match the order value.

While this change should only affect a minority of users, it will however have a major impact on our trading platform and improve our system overall performance.
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lucif

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Clown prophet

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:06:49 AM

Yeah, as a highload programmer i must admit that this bug/feature used to cause huge performance penalties.
ruski

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:08:34 AM

Meltdown in Gox software due to unforeseen bugs in 3, 2, 1...

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:15:54 AM

Yeah, as a highload programmer i must admit that this bug/feature used to cause huge performance penalties.

As a highload programmer I must say they are just making excuses. This feature can be implemented in a way that won't hurt performance much.
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:30:21 AM

I've noticed this bug before (let's face it, it is a bug) where you can place orders for far more money than is present in your account.  They're finally closing this crazy feature and stopping people spaming the order book like mad with orders that can never be filled.
ruski

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:32:38 AM

I've noticed this bug before (let's face it, it is a bug) where you can place orders for far more money than is present in your account.  They're finally closing this crazy feature and stopping people spaming the order book like mad with orders that can never be filled.

I'm curious, do those impossible orders show in the depth charts? Will be interesting to see the true depths after the change if that's the case.

mp420

Activity: 501
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:33:22 AM

I'm curious, do those impossible orders show in the depth charts?

No.
keatonatron

Activity: 308

Jack of oh so many trades.

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:49:50 AM

I have made use of this bug/feature before. I've set BTC to my Mt. Gox account and set up a sell order for the total amount of BTC in advance, because I wanted to sell them as soon as possible but wasn't around to keep track of when my confirmations went through.

It stayed in "not enough funds" mode until the transfer was confirmed, at which point it immediately sold my coins for me.

One concern, though--what will happen to the market order options? If you place a market order to buy as many coins as you can afford and then the price suddenly moves up so you now don't have enough funds to purchase the total amount of coins requested, what will happen? Will the order do as much as it can then stop, or will it not even move once it detects you don't have enough?

In either case, I wish they had a "buy as many as possible" option so I didn't have to try and calculate how many BTC to put in when doing a market order...

1KEATSvAhbB7yj2baLB5xkyJSnkfqPGAqk
Comodore

Activity: 159

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:52:19 AM

What exactly cause those lags? Too many orders and slow system?
lucif

Clown prophet

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 10:07:19 AM

As a highload programmer I must say they are just making excuses. This feature can be implemented in a way that won't hurt performance much.
If something was not properly programmed from start, it is safely to just remove it.
lucif

Clown prophet

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 10:09:31 AM

What exactly cause those lags? Too many orders and slow system?
Before executing market buy/sell, engine have to ensure funds availability of each concurrent order. This check (in case of thousands concurrent orders) causes performance penalties I guess. So they decided to completely remove such behavior for direct order processing without checks.
ruski

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 10:18:58 AM

I have made use of this bug/feature before. I've set BTC to my Mt. Gox account and set up a sell order for the total amount of BTC in advance, because I wanted to sell them as soon as possible but wasn't around to keep track of when my confirmations went through.

It stayed in "not enough funds" mode until the transfer was confirmed, at which point it immediately sold my coins for me.

One concern, though--what will happen to the market order options? If you place a market order to buy as many coins as you can afford and then the price suddenly moves up so you now don't have enough funds to purchase the total amount of coins requested, what will happen? Will the order do as much as it can then stop, or will it not even move once it detects you don't have enough?

In either case, I wish they had a "buy as many as possible" option so I didn't have to try and calculate how many BTC to put in when doing a market order...

Fill in a bitcoin amount higher than you're going to buy, at a price higher than you're willing to pay. It will be auto filled.

kiko

Activity: 453

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 10:33:13 AM

<looks at account value> O_O
ruski

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 10:35:39 AM

Too bad I can't withdraw sweet FA yet. Might as well be play money.

therealodog

Activity: 33

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 12:27:30 PM

i don't understand why gox is any different from forex brokers or banks who must process hundreds of thousands of orders a minute...

don't see any lag with them...
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 12:29:54 PM

i don't understand why gox is any different from forex brokers or banks who must process hundreds of thousands of orders a minute...

Maybe coz Forex works with real money and Gox works with toy money? *trollface*
ruski

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 12:32:10 PM

Banks don't process orders, clearing houses do. Clearing houses simply have smarter people writing their algorithms. Gox was allowing invalid trades to clog up their system. Hahaha.

therealodog

Activity: 33

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 03:11:36 PM

Banks don't process orders, clearing houses do. Clearing houses simply have smarter people writing their algorithms. Gox was allowing invalid trades to clog up their system. Hahaha.

ok cool but what about stop/limit orders. that's basically what everyone is trying to do anyway...
keatonatron

Activity: 308

Jack of oh so many trades.

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 07:28:37 AM

Fill in a bitcoin amount higher than you're going to buy, at a price higher than you're willing to pay. It will be auto filled.

That's what I currently do. I hope it will still work like that, instead of giving me an error saying I can't afford that much.

1KEATSvAhbB7yj2baLB5xkyJSnkfqPGAqk
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:18:45 PM

Too bad I can't withdraw sweet FA yet. Might as well be play money.

>Half a million dollars worth of play money

Damn.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: