Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:42:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: depositing to bitstamp would be faster with a donkey  (Read 1889 times)
HerrAndreas (OP)

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 01:05:03 PM
Last edit: September 08, 2014, 10:06:21 PM by HerrAndreas

Since the deposit times on bitstamp are giving me some unexpected free time, I did a little math.

I know my deposit arrived yesterday afternoon (checked with the banks TARGET 2 system).
I live in Vienna (Austria) and Bitstamps (new) bank is in Maribor (Slovenia).
The distance is about 190 km (roughly 118,5 miles).
A donkey can travel at an average of 8-10 miles per hour.
Let´s say I would go easy on my long eared friend. We´d take breaks every now and then and do some sight seeing on the way.

We would have been at the bank this morning, maybe had some good lunch (hay and fish at the Novi Svet Pri Stolnici for instance) and would be back across the border by now.

Well, I didn´t take the donkey (mostly because I don´t have a donkey), I used the internet.
And get entertaining support replies from bitstamp staff like:

"...
thank you for contacting us. According to our logs your deposit has indeed arrived and it should be credited to your to your Bitstamp account in the next few hours.

Should you require any additional assistance, please feel free to ask

Best regards,
..."

I think I will have to invest in a donkey after all.  

edit:
It seems a donkey can be bought for somewhere around 400 USD.
If (when the finally credit my deposit) they use todays Euro to USD conversion rate and not yesterdays when the money arrived at their bank account, I will have lost value of about 45 USD (0,5%). So after latest 10 deposits my new donkey would have already paid for itself.

edits edit:

Maybe bitching around and offering to nail dead cats to peoples doors helps or bitstamp just got their shit together again, BUT I did a little deposit race today

Kraken vs Bitstamp

both several k euro, both via TARGET 2
and both managed to credit the deposit on the same day within a few hours.
So I´d say I got two winners.

Kraken still was a bit faster, but I was actually expecting to wait for bitstamp to credit the deposit by tomorrow.

This is a HUGE improvement and a great argument to reconsider stamp for daily business.
Please keep beating the donkey.

edits edits edit:
tried again with a little more fiat and "boom" back to the poor standards which sparked this post in the first place.
Next round going to the donkey.

It is like the wild west in the movies, like russia in the 90ies.
It´s you, revolutionaries, scamers, gangsters, genuises, greedy soon-to-be loosers, billionares, and  big business at a global private party. It is bitcoin. http://nakamotoinstitute.org/mempool/dont-panic/
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
floatertheplayer

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 06:03:47 PM

Nice way of thinking about it. I am also extremely mad that it is 4 days now and SEPA is still not credited. My bank says the Slovenian Bank got it the same day I sent so Bitstamp is now either on the dark side or on the contrary to their calming words they cannot handle their new bank yet.

I do market making and arbitraging with my own developed bot (worked in a bank as Quant before) and out of the 7 exchanges now I use Bitstamp is the worst with this... It costs me dearly.

PS: I think we both lost much more on appreciating Bitcoin prices than on the rising USD value!:)
HerrAndreas (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 07:09:18 PM

update:
my account was finally credited.
ofcourse with the next days conversion rate.

My mind is made up. I´ll trade that balance out when it is not too much (additional) loss and take my money elswhere.
It´s a shame because bitstamp once was a great place to work with, but if I have to lose money just by depositing, I´m out.

We (probably) all know how sepa transfers work and that there is a legal one day maximum limit for the banks to process these transactions so they don´t cash out excessively on the float (although sepa in principle is a real time system). But when I last sent money to bitstamp I directly used the TARGET 2 system which is a fully established one-by-one real time (and not bundlewise like sepa) money transfer system between (practically) all european banks  with transfer times under 5 minutes (!) from one bank account to another.

In addition I got a message in the morning that my money actually had already arrived (surprise, surprise), but bitstamp couldn´t be bothered to credit it to my account for another half day.

It probably is just the result of not having enough staff to process the deposits and not evil intentions, but all the time sepa transfers take longer than one banking day is float on which bitstamp profits - the money is already on their bank account (the conspiracy dudes will want to see some fractional reserve potential here). 
It´s like giving them a credit that you pay for.

I usually try to be modest in my words, but:

FUCK THAT!

It´s you, revolutionaries, scamers, gangsters, genuises, greedy soon-to-be loosers, billionares, and  big business at a global private party. It is bitcoin. http://nakamotoinstitute.org/mempool/dont-panic/
floatertheplayer

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 10:12:38 AM

Well at least you got your money now. I still dont have it after 5! days now. Consider yourself lucky.
LakeBTC

Activity: 903
Merit: 1000

LakeBTC.com

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 03:42:49 PM

Since the deposit times on bitstamp are giving me some unexpected free time, I did a little math.

I know my deposit arrived yesterday afternoon (checked with the banks TARGET 2 system).
The distance is about 190 km (roughly 118,5 miles).
A donkey can travel at an average of 8-10 miles per hour.
Let´s say I would go easy on my long eared friend. We´d take breaks every now and then and do some sight seeing on the way.

We would have been at the bank this morning, maybe had some good lunch (hay and fish at the Novi Svet Pri Stolnici for instance) and would be back across the border by now.

Well, I didn´t take the donkey (mostly because I don´t have a donkey), I used the internet.
And get entertaining support replies from bitstamp staff like:

"...
thank you for contacting us. According to our logs your deposit has indeed arrived and it should be credited to your to your Bitstamp account in the next few hours.

Should you require any additional assistance, please feel free to ask

Best regards,
..."

I think I will have to invest in a donkey after all.  

edit:
It seems a donkey can be bought for somewhere around 400 USD.
If (when the finally credit my deposit) they use todays Euro to USD conversion rate and not yesterdays when the money arrived at their bank account, I will have lost value of about 45 USD (0,5%). So after latest 10 deposits my new donkey would have already paid for itself.

i have to say you got a very fast donkey ...

LakeBanker: Free Banking for the World     LakeBanker.com   Token Sale. Participate Now!
HerrAndreas (OP)

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 10:04:14 PM

Well, LakeBTC my donkey experiences are just of a theoretical nature.

Concerning deposit times at bitstamp we are back to the poor standards which originally sparked the idea to thuis donley comparison.

I´ll be back to kraken et al with the next round of fiat deposits.

o0Julia0o

Activity: 148

View Profile
June 03, 2017, 09:39:53 PM

I am reading(1 APR 2013) that the account is:
Bank name:
Unicredit banka Slovenija d.d.
Address: Smartinska 140
City: 1000 Ljubljana
IBAN: SI56290000170073837
BIC (SWIFT): BACXSI22

s: https://www.bitstamp.net/article/new-banking-details/

So no Maribor-bank!?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: