Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:44:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: country using bitcoins?  (Read 952 times)
vokain (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 05:39:54 PM

I saw a post earlier that this relatively small country was using bitcoin in its intended use and that bitcoin was on the way to becoming the major currency used in that country. The search function for this site is horrible and I've looked through my history but can't find this particular post. anyone know what i'm talking about?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
evolve

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 05:55:41 PM

No. No country has or will adopt use of BTC as its currency.
vokain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 05:56:44 PM

No. No country has or will adopt use of BTC as its currency.

not as an official currency but the people chose to use it. i swear i read that some people in a country, close to the Indies i believe, is using bitcoin in everyday trade in a significant percentage
Crazy

Activity: 182
Merit: 106

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 05:57:43 PM

Pretty sure people would be talking more about something like that if it was true, but I haven't heard it so I can't attest to anything.

Elon Krusky
vokain (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 05:59:28 PM

Pretty sure people would be talking more about something like that if it was true, but I haven't heard it so I can't attest to anything.

there's so much talk about the price increase that everything else is getting drowned out
evolve

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 06:00:03 PM

No, the true believers around here were all excited about Cyprus (because their govenrment wanted to seize a percentage of citizens bank accounts)...but it certainly isnt in wide adoption there, and there is no evidence to suggest that Cypriots have bought up a significant amount of BTC.
pretendo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 05:08:11 AM

You mean the people of the country chose to use it? Doubt it, I think the cyprus rumors were nonsense
DavidBAL

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

Always riding the Bull...

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 05:12:16 AM

I saw a post earlier that this relatively small country was using bitcoin in its intended use and that bitcoin was on the way to becoming the major currency used in that country. The search function for this site is horrible and I've looked through my history but can't find this particular post. anyone know what i'm talking about?

This would actually be a genius move by a country like Cuba or Greece. They could bypass their external monetary issues, and they could maintain sovereignty by issuing their own currency through their own central bank backed by bitcoin (like what is done with gold and other reserve currencies).. by the very nature of them adopting the price would soar. Other countries like Venezuela, Iran, etc.. that has some monetary gripe (right or wrong) then would have an increasing incentive to jump on board. As the early adopter Cuba or Greece type country would become fabulously wealthy.. almost like if you were the first country to officially recognize gold as valuable.

I am an investor, entrepreneur, and CEO @BTC Inc http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-bailey/22/641/b53 ...
Bitrated user: davidbtcmedia.
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 05:20:56 AM

This would actually be a genius move by a country like Cuba or Greece. They could bypass their external monetary issues, and they could maintain sovereignty by issuing their own currency through their own central bank backed by bitcoin (like what is done with gold and other reserve currencies).. by the very nature of them adopting the price would soar. Other countries like Venezuela, Iran, etc.. that has some monetary gripe (right or wrong) then would have an increasing incentive to jump on board. As the early adopter Cuba or Greece type country would become fabulously wealthy.. almost like if you were the first country to officially recognize gold as valuable.

Greece should do it and call it "Democracy 2.0"  Cool

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
evolve

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 07:04:07 AM

Why wouldn't they just make their own cryptocurrency?
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 07:11:24 AM

Why wouldn't they just make their own cryptocurrency?

+1, they wouldn't but they would undoubtably f*ck it up.

That said, compared to Bitcoin, Cuba and Greece are extraordinarily wealthy economies. That might not always be so, but its true now. A) Greece is in the European union, at least for now, and I think there is Zero chance of the ECB letting Greece exit the euro for Bitcoin. B) Who would be mining on Cuba? The Cubans would have to buy all their bitcoin from us, and the second it came out Cuba would move to bitcoin, we would charge them a trillion dollars to get anyway. So switching would probably impoverish them.

Countries would either start their own, or just plain not switch. What you could see is a rise of the 'shadow economy' where all bitcoin users are members of a pseudo worldwide economy.

more or less retired.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: