Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:08:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin Catalog is taking preorders!  (Read 669 times)
The Bitcoin Catalog (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

The Bitcoin Catalog ---> Get Started!

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 10:20:45 PM
Last edit: April 14, 2013, 06:03:42 PM by The Bitcoin Catalog

Come check out our website for a special preorder discount!
A FREE .pdf edition will be available so stay tuned!

http://thebitcoincatalog.com/

The Bitcoin Catalog: Second edition coming out in November! Click here for a  FREE pdf catalog!
Follow us on twitter! @BTCcatalog

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin Catalog (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 12:07:08 PM

Bump!

The Bitcoin Catalog: Second edition coming out in November! Click here for a  FREE pdf catalog!
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:21:23 PM

Nice one.

Could you maybe post some Pictures on  how it would look like, a little more information on the content would be nice, too.

I feel like I'm buying a pig in a poke here  Cheesy

Also, is this free shipping right? Worldwide?

Just asking as I don't want you to pay more for actual shipping than the order is worth.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
The Bitcoin Catalog (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 11:15:03 PM

Could you maybe post some Pictures on  how it would look like, a little more information on the content would be nice, too.

Yes I will post an image of the table of content when we will be done with it so it will gives a good idea of the catalog content!

Also, is this free shipping right? Worldwide?

Absolutly!
Free shipping Worldwide  Smiley

Antony

The Bitcoin Catalog (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 10:32:11 PM

Bump  Smiley

DontCallMeShirley

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:35:19 PM

Is there anything in the catalog that can't be found online for free?! confused...........
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:36:34 PM

Is there anything in the catalog that can't be found online for free?! confused...........

Is there anything in any catalog that can't be found online?  It's essentially rounding up info and keeping it in one spot; that's a pretty dandy service if I ever seen one.

Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:42:12 PM

Is there anything in any catalog that can't be found online?  It's essentially rounding up info and keeping it in one spot; that's a pretty dandy service if I ever seen one.

And it's a neat project, that IMO deserves to be supportet.

Also something to show people that you introduce to bitcoin.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
drhobomanxxiii

Activity: 46

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:58:37 PM

I'll be watching this, but honestly, I think it will fail due to its payment requirement.

The best way to provide a service like this is to find a way to monetize it for free. I might suggest trying to design a referral program, where businesses can sign up with your catalog whereas any purchases made through you as a gateway to their site will send a negotiable percentage of the earnings your way. This could be augmented by selling ad space as well.

Just my two cents.
Crenel84

Activity: 50

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 11:03:56 PM

I think another problem is the volatility of the Bitcoin economy (not to be confused with price volatility). If I buy this info for $15, how long will it be useful? It reminds me of books published in the 1990s listing all the "good" Web sites -- probably a quick cash cow for the publisher but not a persistent value for the buyer.

Still, it's not a terrible thing. Selling information in different/better packaging is common and can be of value to some buyers.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:05:14 PM

I think another problem is the volatility of the Bitcoin economy (not to be confused with price volatility). If I buy this info for $15, how long will it be useful? It reminds me of books published in the 1990s listing all the "good" Web sites -- probably a quick cash cow for the publisher but not a persistent value for the buyer.

Still, it's not a terrible thing. Selling information in different/better packaging is common and can be of value to some buyers.

Good point.  It's like a phonebook; you gotta get another one every so often, and the last one becomes that much more unreliable.

The Bitcoin Catalog (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 11:46:34 PM

I'll be watching this, but honestly, I think it will fail due to its payment requirement.

The best way to provide a service like this is to find a way to monetize it for free. I might suggest trying to design a referral program, where businesses can sign up with your catalog whereas any purchases made through you as a gateway to their site will send a negotiable percentage of the earnings your way. This could be augmented by selling ad space as well.

Just my two cents.

This is the direction we want this catalog to go. Prints + shipping is pretty costy but very good for promotion purpose so we have to start from somewhere. First, we cannot charge businesses to be part of it without any stats justifying the cost. Secondly, the bitcoin economy is still at an infent stage so not much businesses have budgets for advertising.

The next step will be a pdf edition which will be much much cheaper  Smiley

We will make things one step at a time!

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:52:58 PM

Both would be preferable; the physical copy is great for spreading around IRL, anyway Grin  Give them out at events and such.  Something to exist in the physical realm.  Then the PDF would probably be spread for free by anonymous members of the interwebs so I wouldn't get my hopes up on the digital copy bringing in a whole lot of cash Undecided

The Bitcoin Catalog (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 01:12:00 AM

Both would be preferable; the physical copy is great for spreading around IRL, anyway Grin  Give them out at events and such.  Something to exist in the physical realm.  Then the PDF would probably be spread for free by anonymous members of the interwebs so I wouldn't get my hopes up on the digital copy bringing in a whole lot of cash Undecided

True. However, we need to cover our operational cost somehow but, for sure,  we will make our catalog accessible for poeple as much as we can.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 01:16:23 AM

True. However, we need to cover our operational cost somehow but, for sure,  we will make our catalog accessible for poeple as much as we can.

True true.  I'll send some coins your way when I can Smiley

The Bitcoin Catalog (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 01:26:43 AM

True true.  I'll send some coins your way when I can Smiley

Thank you very much for your support!

drhobomanxxiii

Activity: 46

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 08:00:45 PM

Why not start with the PDF? In order to get it printed anyways, most publishers need a PDF of some sort to make the prints...

I might suggest selling the PDF for $0.99, perhaps including an ebook option, and then using Print on-Demand services to make physical copies by special order. You could also make a scene at the coming Bitcoin conferences in some way or another, and that could be your starting ground. At those conferences, you could start selling space in the next catalog.

The problem is that you need to run an investment period where you're probably going to lose money in order to even establish this business. At least, that's my take of the market. It's possible I'm wrong there, but I just don't see you selling enough physical copies in a completely digital market to offset your costs.
The Bitcoin Catalog (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 06:05:33 PM

Why not start with the PDF? In order to get it printed anyways, most publishers need a PDF of some sort to make the prints...

I might suggest selling the PDF for $0.99, perhaps including an ebook option, and then using Print on-Demand services to make physical copies by special order. You could also make a scene at the coming Bitcoin conferences in some way or another, and that could be your starting ground. At those conferences, you could start selling space in the next catalog.

The problem is that you need to run an investment period where you're probably going to lose money in order to even establish this business. At least, that's my take of the market. It's possible I'm wrong there, but I just don't see you selling enough physical copies in a completely digital market to offset your costs.

We will not start with the .pdf because we need to solve some technicalities but we will make it free so that way, we will have a huge audience!

Antony

The Bitcoin Catalog (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 06:06:01 PM

Here an overview of the table of contents  Smiley

The Bitcoin Catalog (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 01:35:17 AM

Bump!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: