Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:28:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions About Running 220V for Rigs..  (Read 3191 times)
Benny1985 (OP)

Activity: 391
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:00:58 AM

I am getting into more serious LTC mining, and am building multiple rigs.

Recently, I had 4, 20 amp breakers installed for 110v outlets. After (finally) getting a kill-a-watt, I've determined that the amperage draw from these rigs is immense - about 9 amps with 5 GPUs. So I could run 8 rigs. However, I'd like to run more than that - preferably 12 or 14. Additionally, my power box is rated at 200 amps, which would worry me if I tried to install more breakers/110V circuits.

Enter the idea of 220 volts. I've seen videos/pictures of people running Bitcoin rigs off of 220V, which allows them to run a lot more systems off of one circuit (one such person was running something like 5 rigs off of one 220v dryer outlet).

So my questions about 220V....

1. Wiring wise, what would I have to change if I wanted to run 220V? Would I have to have everything changed out - breakers, wiring, and outlets, or just breakers and outlets?

2. My PSUs are rated for up to 264v (Seasonic 1250W). I assume these will work, correct? I will just need an adapter to go from the 220v outlet/power strip to the PSU, right?

3. How stupid, crazy, or risky is this idea? Mind you, the wiring and electrical installation would NOT be done by me. I have a professional electrician that has done work for me, and installed the 20a breakers.

Or are there any other suggestions for running more rigs on less amperage?

Thank you!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
eroxors
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Think. Positive. Thoughts.

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 03:34:48 AM

If you have a good electrician, which it sounds like you do, just ask him. Yes, it can be done and is done... there are several threads already about running on 220/240/250v. With 12-14 machines, I would think that cooling would be a more significant concern for you. Good luck.

Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2121

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:43:42 AM

Recently, I had 4, 20 amp breakers installed for 110v outlets. After (finally) getting a kill-a-watt, I've determined that the amperage draw from these rigs is immense - about 9 amps with 5 GPUs. So I could run 8 rigs. However, I'd like to run more than that - preferably 12 or 14. Additionally, my power box is rated at 200 amps, which would worry me if I tried to install more breakers/110V circuits.

Enter the idea of 220 volts. I've seen videos/pictures of people running Bitcoin rigs off of 220V, which allows them to run a lot more systems off of one circuit (one such person was running something like 5 rigs off of one 220v dryer outlet).

1. Wiring wise, what would I have to change if I wanted to run 220V? Would I have to have everything changed out - breakers, wiring, and outlets, or just breakers and outlets?

2. My PSUs are rated for up to 264v (Seasonic 1250W). I assume these will work, correct? I will just need an adapter to go from the 220v outlet/power strip to the PSU, right?

3. How stupid, crazy, or risky is this idea? Mind you, the wiring and electrical installation would NOT be done by me. I have a professional electrician that has done work for me, and installed the 20a breakers.

Thank you!

Theoretically, if you are just using one circuit, you won't have to change the wiring. be wary what else the circuit might be used for though. Don't end up trying to run your lights or hairdryer off of 240 (single phase is actually 120V, not 110V, interesting fact). You will be using two phases so you should replace two single breakers with a double. You should use a different outlet to prevent accidentally plugging something in that you didn't mean to.

Your PSUs may be dual voltage meaning you just plug them in. Some have a switch to switch between the two. Some are only capable of one or the other and you would either have to use an adapter or replace them (replace may actually be cheaper). It should say on the label on the PSU (Though I once had to replace a 120/240 PSU that would not work on 120).

Whether it makes sense is something you would have to work out. It would depend on the circumstances you are working in. How far from the breaker boxes are your rigs? Are you in a home (presumably) or a business? Do you care that you might need to switch it out when/if you stop mining or move? Could you just use an extension cable instead?

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
mitty

Activity: 359

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 04:03:43 AM

I'm going to write this assuming you're in the USA with standard 120/240v residential service.  The voltage levels are usually between 110-125/220-250v which is why they can be referred to as 110v, 115v, 220v, 240v, etc.

Just breakers and outlets.  You need to switch your breakers to double pole breakers (the same kind used for electric ranges, clothes dryers, and central air systems), and you need to switch your receptacles to ones used for 240v.  You also need to put a piece of red or black electrical tape around the white (neutral) cable for each of the circuits you convert. (for safety- so anyone working on the circuit knows that the white wire is no longer a neutral)

I'd recommend using NEMA 6-15R or 6-20R receptacles.  You can use other types like ones designed for locking plugs and the kind used for clothes dryers (NEMA 14) but 6-15 and 6-20 are probably best for this job.
Example breaker (you *need* to buy the correct type for your load center): http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100074746?catalogId=10053
Example receptacle (NEMA 6-20R; rated for 20A at 250V): http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-5822-W-Receptacle-Commercial-Grounding/dp/B000U3I1S0

NEMA 6-15 is rated for 15amps, and 6-20 is rated for 20amps.  You can plug a 6-15 plug into a 6-20 receptacle which is why I recommend using 6-20 receptacles if you have at least 12 gauge wires. (which I assume you do, since your circuits already have 20a breakers)

Yep.  Actually, you can even cut the plug off your current cables and add your own 250v plug.  I would use a NEMA 6-15 plug: http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100206376?catalogId=10053

Not at all.  This is perfectly safe and in compliance with the National Electrical Code.  You would probably be fine doing the work yourself, considering you have the technical ability to set up a mining farm. (the ability to legally do the work yourself depends on your local building codes, though)

I temporarily did this to run my mining farm from a single 15-amp circuit while I set up a more permanent solution. (currently 4x 20A 120V circuits... I'm just mining with FPGAs though. Wink )

P=V*I. (Power, Voltage, Current)  The only way to get more power and use a set amount of current is to increase the voltage. Wink

So no, switching your 120v circuits to 240v is the best option.

Thank you!

Good luck! (and be safe!)
Benny1985 (OP)

Activity: 391

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 04:34:49 AM

Theoretically, if you are just using one circuit, you won't have to change the wiring. be wary what else the circuit might be used for though. Don't end up trying to run your lights or hairdryer off of 240 (single phase is actually 120V, not 110V, interesting fact). You will be using two phases so you should replace two single breakers with a double. You should use a different outlet to prevent accidentally plugging something in that you didn't mean to.

Your PSUs may be dual voltage meaning you just plug them in. Some have a switch to switch between the two. Some are only capable of one or the other and you would either have to use an adapter or replace them (replace may actually be cheaper). It should say on the label on the PSU (Though I once had to replace a 120/240 PSU that would not work on 120).

Whether it makes sense is something you would have to work out. It would depend on the circumstances you are working in. How far from the breaker boxes are your rigs? Are you in a home (presumably) or a business? Do you care that you might need to switch it out when/if you stop mining or move? Could you just use an extension cable instead?

The current 120v/20a circuits were purpose-installed for mining. I just didn't realize that the machines would be pulling so much amperage vs. wattage (about 1200 watts per machine, and 9 amps). So using the circuit for other things is a non-starter... They're dedicated to this project.

AFAIK, the Seasonic 1250W is built to handle various voltages, but I have to confirm this.

The rigs are about 40ft from the breaker box. This is in a home, but I own it, so I am free to make alterations as I will. I fully understand the issues of needing to switch out the breakers/recpticles when I move. But let's be honest here - no one is going to need 4, 20amp breakers regardless of voltage in the same compact area... Unless their either doing this, or growing pot, ha ha.

Otherwise, thank you all for helping me out thus far. In regards to the thermal issue (I think) that was asked: We're planning on adding a very large exhaust fan in between the 2 rig shelving units that will suck up and expel the waste heat outside (I actually don't have ridge vents on this house, so I get to add them to vent the attic - killing two birds with one stone!).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: