Bitcoin Forum
November 17, 2017, 11:44:29 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running on a linux server, opening in GUI on Windows?  (Read 576 times)
nivong

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:15:46 AM

Oke guys, new to bitcoin and I have set it up on a linux machine (running Ubuntu 12.10) and the latest bitcoind in daemon mode. Now I want to connect with my GUI on windows to this machine and see my latest transactions and what my current status is, since ubuntu server doesn't come with a GUI but only with a CLI. How is this possible?

Now I copy and past my wallet everytime and check it but that is not really usefull. I want to see what it's doing. How can this be done?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin-Qt, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GSnak

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:20:03 AM

PuTTY?
nivong

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:26:15 AM

Ahm not sure what putty has to do with this, but i use, putty to connect to the box through ssh yes. But that has nothing to do with the question I'm asking:
Is it possible to connect to my bitcoind (server) miner, with the windows GUI client to see the progress and the latest transactions?
c789

Activity: 843

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:31:31 AM

If you want remote desktop software, Ubuntu has that. Or, you could:

Code:
sudo apt-get install x11vnc

x11vnc server is like TeamViewer but uses very little system resources. You can do pretty much anything with it that any other remote desktop software lets you.

You'd need to install a VNC client on your Win machine to connect to the newly installed x11vnc server on Ubuntu.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
Trommie

Activity: 26

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:33:43 AM

Perhaps you could set-up a webserver on your box and dump all the stuff you find important onto afile that is served. Depends what you want to see but you could run a cron job for for pulling out the info you find important so you can view it via the webserver, orhave a I misunderstood what you want to do?
c789

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:38:54 AM

To make x11vnc server run on startup/reboot,

Code:
sudo x11vnc -storepasswd /etc/x11vnc.pass

[ the system will prompt you to enter the new password ]

Once you've stored your password for x11vnc,

Code:
sudo chown YOURUSERNAME /etc/x11vnc.pass

Then go to file manager and make sure /etc/x11vnc.pass has these settings:
   Owner: R&W
   Group: R&W
   Others: R   [this is probably not the best option. My boxes are all on a private network so it doesn't matter for me. Plus, the password is encrypted]

Now go to Settings, Settings Manager, Session and Startup, Application Autostart. Add a new startup and title it "x11vnc" and enter the following command:

x11vnc -rfbport 5900 -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc.pass -forever -bg

Save it, and you're good to go. Now x11vnc will run at startup/reboot so you can do away with the mouse, keyboard, and monitor on the linux box and remote to it instead.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Java, PHP, HTML/CSS Programmer for Hire!

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 12:43:34 AM

Oke guys, new to bitcoin and I have set it up on a linux machine (running Ubuntu 12.10) and the latest bitcoind in daemon mode. Now I want to connect with my GUI on windows to this machine and see my latest transactions and what my current status is, since ubuntu server doesn't come with a GUI but only with a CLI. How is this possible?

Now I copy and past my wallet everytime and check it but that is not really usefull. I want to see what it's doing. How can this be done?

can't be done, you can use another bitcoind and issue to commands to the other bitcoind, but to have a windows GUI connect to a bitcoind, I never seen that done, and as far as I know can't be done.

Want to earn 2500 SATOSHIS per hour? Come Chat and Chill in https://goseemybits.com/lobby
nivong

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:46:32 AM

Ubuntu server has no GUI, rendering a vnc client useless I belief

Let me rephrase the question:
If you download the windows client and start it, it will create a wallet and will begin filling thiawith bc. You can see the status bar down left and the current connects right bottom.

Because I run bitcoin on my GUI-less ubuntu server I can't see this information. I can't view the wallet. What I was thinking is, maybe, someway I could open the current wallet where my server is working on in windows and see the realtime statics (current connections to the system and the latest transactions.Now I need to copy past the wallet.dat and open the app in windows, check for transactions, but can't see what the server is doing (since I copy pasted it...)

@ gweedo are you sure? That would suck big time... Ah well it's still new and is growing fast, in the near future all will be 100% platform independent I think and you will be able to check your status online for example.

Now excuse me for my English I'm not a native speaker.
c789

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:53:39 AM

SSH into your server and try these:

Code:
bitcoind getinfo

bitcoind listtransactions

Do they give you any information?

gweedo: Ziggap looks like a great idea. The site is down though...hopefully because lots of other people think it's a great idea too and they all rushed to your site. Good problem to have Smiley

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 12:54:47 AM

@ gweedo are you sure? That would suck big time... Ah well it's still new and is growing fast, in the near future all will be 100% platform independent I think and you will be able to check your status online for example.

I am 99.99999% sure. You can check your bitcoin addresses online already with http://blockchain.info, you can also look at other block explores at http://qcl.me/gweedo, you just need your bitcoin address, not your private key. Also if you want a centralized server you can look at electrum.

Want to earn 2500 SATOSHIS per hour? Come Chat and Chill in https://goseemybits.com/lobby
paraipan
Legendary

Activity: 924

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 01:07:28 AM

You can use putty and connect to your linux box, then issue commands like "bitcoind help" to get info out of the Bitcoin daemon.

Or you can use one of the available front-ends that connect over RPC with it, and be able to handle your wallet from a browser https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Category:Frontends

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
nivong

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:58:51 AM

Thanks for the support guys.

So I can't be running different bitcoin minings on different machines? Like use my server, my main pc and my laptop to mine even faster ? (mining for the same wallet)
DarkPunk

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 09:09:32 AM

So I can't be running different bitcoin minings on different machines? Like use my server, my main pc and my laptop to mine even faster ? (mining for the same wallet)

An app can be written, but I don't know of one that has.  Bitcoind operates on the RPC protocol, and it's not hard to find supported libraries.  The quick and dirty solution is to run an apache2 service off your client machine, or one of the hosts, and use JSON-RPC php library to make a web-based application.  If you want to put more work into it to make a native application, I'm afraid your going to have to spend some time on google.

Best of luck to you mate.
nivong

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 05:09:39 PM

Thanks alot for the kind responses and the quick anwsers I'm currenlty little stoked so can't develope anything but using JSON req and some php skills I'm sure there is some sort of middle way that can be developed
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 05:20:20 PM

You then want to use some pool software like poolserverj. It is a java application that allows all your mining rigs to talk to the same wallet, and mine for that wallet. But mining off a server, main pc and laptop will hardly make you any money, and you can burn out the cpu of a server and laptop really easily by mining.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.