Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:56:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How did you learn about bitcoin?  (Read 931 times)
The Bitcoin Catalog (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

The Bitcoin Catalog ---> Get Started!

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 12:36:45 AM

Out of curiosity, how and when did you learn about bitcoin?
and why do you want to get involved?

The Bitcoin Catalog: Second edition coming out in November! Click here for a  FREE pdf catalog!
Follow us on twitter! @BTCcatalog
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tdahsu

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:50:27 AM

I learned about it through the Wired article a while back.

I wish I'd learned earlier.

For me, BTC is a great combination of things:

- a chance to play with and optimise hardware (never overclocked a GPU before - hell never even really used one before)
- a chance to play with software (installing Linux and a miner - done plenty of Linux before but never all that mining software entails!)
- a chance to get in "early" - though 2011 can't really be considered that
- a chance to have part in an economy outside of the fiat economy (appeals to my agorist nature)

Two things I wish I'd done differently are to have had my mining machine up again earlier after I moved, and to have bought more BTC after the $31 - $1 drop.
wmikrut

Activity: 631
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 01:17:05 AM

I was scanning the distributed computing projects for pay-for projects -- and while I was investigating one of them I came across Litecoin.
It took a few days of reading before I began to understand the concept of crypto currencies.

TBH... I learned about cryptos via Litecoin first... I didn't actually start BTC mining until a few months after I was in LTC mining.
I remember CPU mining Litecoins and thinking -- Yes... I have 7!!!!   Cheesy

I will NEVER ask for any kind of funds up front in a buy/sale of anything on bitcointalk.

BM-2cTFihJKmSwusMAoYuUHPvpx56Jozv64KK
jag2k2

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:24:15 AM

My wife asked me that todayalso .  On Saturday I saw (another) article about bitcoin on msnbc so for some reason I decided to open it.  3 days, 10 podcasts, dozens of blog posts, and 20 youtube videos later here I am.

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs. - Thomas Jefferson
structure

Activity: 2

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:27:22 AM

I'm not sure specifically which article tipped me off, but I was reading something on reddit, and then I very quickly started doing deeper research and was completely fascinated by the concept.  This was mid February.
eduminer

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:32:22 AM

Hard to say. Been too long. I only got involved because it doesn't make sense to have an opinion on something like this without actually getting into the nitty-gritty of it.
dsp4

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:42:17 AM

Bought a Humble Bundle and noticed one of the top contributors was named "BUYBITCOINS" or something. I googled it out of pure curiosity and spent the whole evening reading about it.

Glad I did! Now I have 2 systems mining BTC/LTC/TRC 24/7, placed a pre-order at BFL, and wonder how much of my fiat I should convert!
enter`name`here

Activity: 61
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:50:16 AM

I am an immigrant from ronpaulistan

www.ronpaulforums.com
nominii

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:50:48 AM

I read an online article about ripple offering bitcoins to sign up so then I wanted to know what bitcoin was ...
that was late February . Wish I had have heard of it 2 years ago .
wetjet43

Activity: 57

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 04:34:15 AM

I learned about it in 2011, when I wish I would have started mining, and got back into it when I saw a story about it on The Blaze, and how people that got riped off in the cyprus banking scandal were using bitcoin to get their money out of the country.
ughnewname

Activity: 4

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 04:46:06 AM

Honestly, I can't remember when I heard about it first.  I do remember reading the Wired article, and stumbling over here before dismissing it.

As a physical gold/silver holder, it strikes me as honest money.
RageHell

Activity: 2

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 04:48:30 AM

Learned about bitcoin over a year ago.. my boyfriend (who is invested into bitcoin) stumbled upon it listening to Max Keiser.  I didn't think much of it, or even tried to wrap my head around it. Honestly it freaked me out.

I'm super anti-federal reserve and 100% for the constitution. So the idea of a digital, untraceable currency started to really sink in.  My bf has been trying to buy some bitcoins for almost 2 weeks now and we finally got our hands on some today. Really wish we got some a few weeks/months ago, but hey, its only going to be uphill from now on Smiley We are excited for the future of bitcoin.
BTCThousandaire

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 04:57:08 AM

I learned of bitcoin from a Starcraft Broodwar tournament (a computer game), where the winners received bitcoin. This was April 2011.

I bought many after looking into it for a month, plan to wait until everyone uses it then start buying stuff with it once I can buy anything.

infamous21

Activity: 43

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 05:05:36 AM

I learned about bitcoin last year  I was searching on google how to put  money into liberty reserve  I came across bitcoin.it page and it said I could exchange bitcoin liberty reserve. Ever since then I started liking bitcoins and I started learning about bitcoins
coreminder

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 05:06:02 AM

Just learned it through seminar in Economics where the speakers mentioned about someone bought a house with bitcoin.
asphaltocean

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 05:11:50 AM

i learned from a friend of mine that a friend of ours basically doesn't work.

i realized i'm in the wrong game.
The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 06:05:23 AM

I saw a website that accepted "Bitcoins" as pay and I was like what f*%k is that! I ignored it for like 2 weeks until I saw news coverage of it on RT. Then I went digging the internet to find out more about it. Downloaded the Bitcoin client the Litecoin client and I still don't own any of either -.- I don't why I'm even bothering to get into this anymore (sigh) I see great opportunity in this but I realize that most users are just trying to get rich when Bitcoin can be used for so much more than making more fiat money. By holding on to the Bitcoin to eventually sell them at high USD price the seller is essentially saying that they value the USD more than the Bitcoin and so the Bitcoin is hardly used to purchase goods as it should but rather to be sold to newcomers at a high price due to the popularity it has gained.
mrspencer

Activity: 47

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 06:07:57 AM

Friend was mentioning it in January. Then it started to appear everywhere in April. Hence here I am.
prespendwindfall

Activity: 24

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 06:57:37 AM

Saw that both Wikileaks and Defense Distributed take bitcoin.  It sounded silly.  Once I realized how heavily supported it was I took notice.  I wanted to jump in at $60 and since then it's just been on fire.

Did some research about Ripple along the way and realized bitcoin was the way to go.
natewhatever

Activity: 17

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 07:05:19 AM

I heard about it a couple years ago and started working on an infographic about it. Never got around to finishing that!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: