Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:30:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Reliable comparison between mining vs. buying and holding  (Read 4471 times)
queenhallmark

Activity: 196
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 08:33:05 AM

OK xhomerx10,

I see your point and have made some adjustments to my table to simulate a more realistic projection following a gradual drop in mining earnings with increasing mining difficulty over time. Thanks for highlighting it! I will entertain the idea and assume we have no plans of building bigger hashrates over time (even though we have plans to be Top 5 by next year), and other smaller miners don't fall off and quit from mining due to the increase in mining difficulty in the years that follow.

If this is still not "reliable" (which I think is a pointless term to use in this sort of comparison since all figures are speculative at best), by all means just use a lower figure of your choice, or just buy-hold and don't mine at all. Just remember that for the buy-hold column on the left, the later you buy and hold, the higher the price of bitcoin will be, and if someone were to buy bitcoin at the end of this year if or when 1 btc = $4,000 or $5,000, it would be less than 1 btc on the left column, but the mining column on the right remains the same.

You can view the revised table at the same page at http://www.coinpurveyor.com/buy-hold-vs-mining-bitcoin/.
I have retained the same conservative estimate of 1 btc = $50,000 by 2024, instead of $500,000 or $1 million as some people would like to think. Again, feel free to use higher numbers here that seem more probable to you, but you will notice that just using 1 btc = $100,000 in 2024 now brings us back to the earlier end figures in my original table with constant returns yearly (which is why I think "reliable" is a pointless term and why my tables were just supposed to show the advantages and merits of mining over buy-hold and not how much dollars you can potentially make).

Now, let's go through your concerns one by one:

1. Our so-called "cloud" mining site allows members to opt out from the programme and reclaim their mining hardware by writing in officially. The individually-numbered mining hardware will then be unplugged and delivered to the member. You can't do this with a real cloud mining site like Genesis or Hashing24. Call it cloud if it suits you (or maybe calling it "vapour mining" to differentiate from the other usual cloud mining sites), but members who buy the Founder Pool own their own hardware which they can reclaim at any time. To my knowledge, no one has ever done that in the 3 years since BCN started mining as it would be quite silly to do so, because no one has lost money mining with BCN since its inception in August 2014. As far as I know.

2. My site didn't mention or explain anything about margins, that's because the btc per year figures quoted are net earnings to the members, after all the overheads have been deducted. In the screenshot of my earnings which you have attached in your post, you can see that my total earnings to-date is about 0.98 btc (earned), and the net is about 0.57 btc (paid). The difference in between is the amount deducted for the overheads you're concerned about like electricity, maintenance, commissions, site staff salary (we have about 6 or 7 technicians on payroll if I am not mistaken), but above all else, INCLUDING...

3. ...repurchases set aside for future hardware upgrades. As I have mentioned in one of my earlier posts, since BCN started mining, they have upgraded from the AntMiner S3 to the S4, S5, S7 and currently S9, all without further capital reinjection from members. This arrangement is made possible because of the repurchases set aside. We always foresee the need to upgrade when the time comes, and it is compulsory for all members to set aside part of their earnings for this. No exemptions are made, because if some do and some don't, the whole pool will cease to be profitable prematurely. We personally know of individual miners who sneered at our programme and preferred mining on their own, only to come back months later and mine with us. The power of the repurchases and compulsory upgrades cannot be downplayed, and it is what makes BCN sustainable and one of the top mining pools today. To elaborate a little, our mining hardware is immediately upgraded the moment the existing one becomes obsolete, which are quickly sold off on the second hand market while they still hold some value to recoup some of the costs. We have an arrangement with the manufacturer where we are offered the first right of refusal for all hardware manufactured, before they are sold to the open market. Our hashrates are also guaranteed by the manufacturer themselves, who deploy their own staff to assist with the management of the pool. Our minimum hashrates are guaranteed, and any downtime or malfunction is handled by the manufacturer with their own resources to maintain that minimum hashrate. Also, it is these repurchases set aside that allow partial shares to be bought and accumulated over time, effectively keeping the "contract" perpetual even after the expiry of the first 1,000 days.

Some 200 of our members from around the world made a trip to Iceland to visit the mine a few weeks ago, and were given some of the older unsold AntMiner S5 miners to take home as souvenir.

Some of the discussion above may be found at:
http://www.coinpurveyor.com/benefits-of-joining-bitclub-network/ and
http://www.coinpurveyor.com/faq-bitcoin-mining-bcn/

Mining is muddled to comprehend as for holding. Holding is straight benefit as following 2-3 months bitcoin cost is clearly going to ascend to a point that you will get attractive benefit from it. Be that as it may, mining regularly is spoken to by organizations as a simple method for profiting which it is yet just if appropriately finished with some keen counts or else you may wind up losing your venture and you won't know how.
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
frowsiter

Activity: 714
Merit: 261

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 12:20:27 PM

I constantly hear people arguing for mining as opposed to buying and holding or vice versa as better investment strategy - is there any reliable source of information that compares the two over an extended period of time?

We can consider the mining and buying as different things. Different rate of earning will always be achieved with these two ways of earning. The fact is simple, in buying and holding everything relies on the market capitalism achievement and decision of big investors being on the same page could lead to generous leads in the revenue. Also, in case of mining you have to bear the indirect cost of the miners, electricity and maintenance but it is eventually surpassed and whatever you from there onwards is your 100% profit. So I believe that both of them are having different ways of getting money back and it depends on us how we manage the whole thing.

Lancusters

Activity: 630
Merit: 263

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 01:31:35 PM

Reliable ways to compare these methods no earnings. The profitability of production is constantly changing. It may happen that you will get so much coins to pay for electricity. But as diversification of income sources is the right decision. I have always been a part of their income, investing in the acquisition of the GPU.
fiulpro

Activity: 1862
Merit: 830

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 02:39:46 PM

Minning is not a sure fit process...
You do need to be very damn stable to be able to consider it an option..
Its like in minning you aren't even sure if you are gonna grab the profit tomorrow or not..

As far as holding bitcoins is considered... i don't recommend holding bitcoins for such a long period.. yes it is beneficial for a short while... You should hold ypur bitcoins till.. 4 -5 months then cash them out or a small amount periodically...that way you would never be at a complete loss...

Then the next thing is buying bitcoins.. Buying bitcoins is sometimes very risky... It is beneficial while a dip offcourse.. but... If you plan on buying during a high then there won't be much profit that you would be able to grab...

Also buying works when you think about buying a big amount only... Because buying and selling rates do show a big difference..thus buy during a dip and have plenty to invest and everything will be alright...

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██
█████████▀██▀████████
████████▀
░░░░▀░░██████████
███████████▌░░▄▄▄░░░▀████████
███████
█████░░░███▌░░░█████████
███
████████░░░░░░░░░░▄█████████
█████████▀░░░▄████░░░░█████████
███
████▄▄░░░░▀▀▀░░░░▄████████
█████
███▌▄█░░▄▄▄▄█████████
▀████
██████▄██
██████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀
.BitcoinCleanUp.com.

.     Debunking Bitcoin's Energy Use     .
███████████████████████████████
███████▀█████████▀▀▀▀█▀████████
███████▌░▀▀████▀░░░░░░░▄███████
███████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████
███████▀▀▀░░░░░░░▄▄████████████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
...#EndTheFUD...
nightways

Activity: 434
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 01:08:15 PM

Reliable ways to compare these methods no earnings. The profitability of production is constantly changing. It may happen that you will get so much coins to pay for electricity. But as diversification of income sources is the right decision. I have always been a part of their income, investing in the acquisition of the GPU.
Mining is best to carve own coins but that is time taking process and its requirement is also high whereas investing money and buying a bitcoin is now reliable to most of users because everyone want easier way to earn money and buying is best way those countries who adopted bitcoin in early days their citizens are now mining but those who are getting familiar to it now are preferring buying and investing to earn money.
Swenna

Activity: 364
Merit: 106

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2017, 03:53:24 PM

There's no need to compare the two because both actions will yield the same result - profit. However, if you're going to take at it seriously, mining is quite more complex and difficult compared to buying and holding. Mining requires durable and high equipment and facilities, and cost of electricity to start with. But this can be quite expensive and will need the owner to have adept knowledge in mining. Meanwhile, holding and buying only requires research, money, and a little risk, as well as the ability to read and predict the market chart.
Hui8

Activity: 602
Merit: 259

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 04:10:36 PM

I constantly hear people arguing for mining as opposed to buying and holding or vice versa as better investment strategy - is there any reliable source of information that compares the two over an extended period of time?

Why would anyone need reliable source for this comparison? This is kind of question which depends on the practical approaches that different investors and miners have made in reality. Now take my example, where I will prefer to invest my money into buying and selling the coins because that is what I like and I can make profit in that way more easily.

When it comes to mining, then I’m not the right guy for it so I don’t and I will never be able to make profits from it. Thus it gets me clear cut idea that mining is not type but the crypto investment is.

So different people different views and for your own decisions you should check your right way to do it.
keykey1

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 10:32:59 AM

Mining is not very much profitable this year as too many miners are looking for their Bitcoins. Mining might be profitable to get Bitcoin Gold and DASH, ZCash. Buying alts and BCC is better — especially when the cryptos are down. Trading as for me is the best variant.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: