Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:54:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Attorney Will Answer All Questions:  (Read 19702 times)
raymart0720

Activity: 322
Merit: 106

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 08:07:40 AM

hey mr. does bitcoin have a tax ??
because i think that the tax we are paying when we are cashing out is like the handling fee of the remitance center does it legit legal??
thankyou in advance if this will have an answer

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3506

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 10:53:41 AM

Hi George.

1st thanks for this thread, your taking time for this is much appreciated.

my question is as far as i know the irs clarified its rules in bitcoin in 2014 for tax purposes.. what rules were in place before this clarification? such as mined coins being treated as income?
AttorneyBitcoin (OP)

Activity: 167
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 06:15:25 AM

Hi George.

my question is as far as i know the irs clarified its rules in bitcoin in 2014 for tax purposes.. what rules were in place before this clarification? such as mined coins being treated as income?

Great question that I don't know the answer to. Time for me to research.
AttorneyBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 06:33:06 AM

hey mr. does bitcoin have a tax ??
because i think that the tax we are paying when we are cashing out is like the handling fee of the remitance center does it legit legal??
thankyou in advance if this will have an answer

That would be "Mr. Greenberg," not "hey mr." Bitcoin does not have a direct tax. Fees from trading platforms and exchanges and remittance are simply fees from the companies handling the transactions. They are not taxes.

What you need to consider is when you convert BTC to U.S. Dollars. You would then generally consider the dollars as income under most scenarios. But let's take a closer look at this.

If I took after tax dollars, then bought BTC, then sold that same BTC at the same or lower price, would this then be income? Of course it would not be.

If I invested in BTC at 400 and sold it at 4,000 would the gain be considered income and/or capital gains? Well, yes. For clarification as to whether this would be income or capital gains or both please consult with a CPA.

If I perform a service and am paid in BTC and I convert that to dollars is this income? You bet it is. But there is no immediate tax due. I would declare this as part of my taxable income for quarterly estimated tax payments and year end income tax returns.

If I perform a service and I am paid in BTC and I use that BTC to buy other goods or services, is that BTC then considered income at the time of use? This is one of the hardest questions. It does seem to be income in this scenario. There are many variations to this fact pattern and the answers are not always clear. It would also be something that would be difficult for tax authorities to find, for now. However, the goal is not to cheat my own country out of my tax liabilities but rather to legally minimize my tax liabilities and to recognize and pay my lawful obligations so I'm not surprised with a big tax bill later.

Finally, If i MINE BTC, is this considered income when I convert it to fiat? I do believe so.

George D. Greenberg, Esq.

www.attorneybitocin.com

e-veksel

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2017, 07:12:17 AM

Dear BTC/Crypto Legal Forum:

As an experienced BTC attorney I'm happy to answer all questions here.

I have noticed some misinformation in some answers here. When it comes to taxes, laws and regulations, guessing or opinions are not helpful and can easily lead to problems. Most solutions to all the questions here can be summed up in a few short answers.

I can only give legal advice to laws in the United States but can discuss other countries in general terms. I've been involved as an attorney and a miner in BTC and Crypto's for 3 years. During that time I have represented many client's involved in our crypto world. Happy Mining!

AttorneyBitcoin
Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.A.
www.attorneybitcoin.com

Good morning! I hope, you can give me some useful advices about my question. I've heard, that there can appear problems with cashing out of money, which were received from the ICO, if during the ICO we did not follow the KWC-policy. I mean that as i understood we must collect different personal information of our investors to identify them and to counteract legalisatio of crime money. And, if the only information we know about our investors is their e-mail adress and adress of their crypto-currency wallet there can be problems whith cashing out of money throuhg the cryptocurrency burse and bank. Is that true? What personal informaition of investors should we collect to avoid this kind of difficultis?

●●●PRE-ANNELECTRONIC BILL SYSTEMPRE-ANN●●●
● SAFE CROWDINVESTING SERVICE ●
WEB | WHITEPAPER | MEDIUM| FACEBOOK | YouTube | Telegram
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3506

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 12:31:16 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2017, 01:54:31 PM by vapourminer

Hi George.

Great question that I don't know the answer to. Time for me to research.

well i guess i shouldnt feel too bad that i couldnt find the answer on my own then Smiley

anything you find and can share i will greatly appreciate. last thing i want is the irs after me since i have done bitcoin taxes according to their rules since 2014. if i have to refile stuff prior to 2014 well so be it.
HippiePyro

Activity: 476
Merit: 107

A non technical guy in a technical world

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 12:41:42 PM

Hello Mr. Greenberg,
I aquire old junk laptops, computer, usb and hard drives for scrap and recycling (usually a as is deal or off the roadside). Let's assume there is a btc wallet stored on such a device, and possibly the keys as well. Assuming I can gain access to the wallet, would I legally be the owner of any coins ?
btc junkie

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 12:06:56 PM

Hi I have a question about using bitcoin. If I run a website where I buy bitcoin from users globally but I don't sell any, do I need to register as a money transmitter or money services business even though I am only buying bitcoins? Does such a website count as an exchange?
AttorneyBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 05:12:28 AM

Hello Mr. Greenberg,
I aquire old junk laptops, computer, usb and hard drives for scrap and recycling (usually a as is deal or off the roadside). Let's assume there is a btc wallet stored on such a device, and possibly the keys as well. Assuming I can gain access to the wallet, would I legally be the owner of any coins ?

No.

www.attorneybitcoin.com
AttorneyBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 05:14:24 AM

Hi I have a question about using bitcoin. If I run a website where I buy bitcoin from users globally but I don't sell any, do I need to register as a money transmitter or money services business even though I am only buying bitcoins? Does such a website count as an exchange?

It depends upon your business model, if any, and what you intend to do with the BTC. 

www.attorneybitcoin.com
btc junkie

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 08:25:35 PM

It depends upon your business model, if any, and what you intend to do with the BTC. 

www.attorneybitcoin.com

Assuming that the bitcoins will be used for personal use and/or internationally, how does the business model determine whether or not I would be considered a MT/MSB if I am only buying and never selling?
AttorneyBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 06:26:26 AM

Ah, but that was not your original question. Your original question was regarding a website that you own and use to buy BTC globally, in order to accumulate for yourself only, and whether in so doing whether you would be considered a Money Transmitter or operating a Money Service Business.

Now that you have addressed my response to you I can proceed to discuss. It is my understanding that you would not be considered a Money Service Business by FinCEN. MT requirements vary by state. Your activity would not be considered as MT activity in the State of Nevada where I am located.

Now if you act in a manner that crosses over into regulated activity, such as being given other peoples money to invest, or if you were a business entity,  or you had partners and so on....then you might be considered as running a business in ways that States may view as as MT. There might also may be SEC issues.

There are potential tax issues. If you have been using your accumulated BTC to buy and sell for yourself and you are making a profit, this then becomes subject to capital gains taxes and income tax.

There are laws regarding countries that we are not allowed to conduct business with. This might be an issue if you are purchasing BTC from a person in one of these countries.

Finally, large transactions get the attention of FinCEN. You must be careful that you are not just turning a blind eye to larger transactions that may look suspicious without gathering some information about the seller.

My answers free and intended to be general and should not be relied upon in these areas. You should always seek out paid legal counsel.     

I hope that helps:

www.attorneybitcoin.com
tavogi.com

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 04:49:37 PM

Hello Mr. Greenberg,

Prediction markets were shut down in the US a while back but now they seem to be doing well on blockchain.

I would like to add prediction market functionality to my website but I don't know if it's something I could get in trouble for.

Is there some legally safe way to offer prediction market services?

Thanks!
btc junkie

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 04:39:59 PM

Ah, but that was not your original question. Your original question was regarding a website that you own and use to buy BTC globally, in order to accumulate for yourself only, and whether in so doing whether you would be considered a Money Transmitter or operating a Money Service Business.

Now that you have addressed my response to you I can proceed to discuss. It is my understanding that you would not be considered a Money Service Business by FinCEN. MT requirements vary by state. Your activity would not be considered as MT activity in the State of Nevada where I am located.

Now if you act in a manner that crosses over into regulated activity, such as being given other peoples money to invest, or if you were a business entity,  or you had partners and so on....then you might be considered as running a business in ways that States may view as as MT. There might also may be SEC issues.

There are potential tax issues. If you have been using your accumulated BTC to buy and sell for yourself and you are making a profit, this then becomes subject to capital gains taxes and income tax.

There are laws regarding countries that we are not allowed to conduct business with. This might be an issue if you are purchasing BTC from a person in one of these countries.

Finally, large transactions get the attention of FinCEN. You must be careful that you are not just turning a blind eye to larger transactions that may look suspicious without gathering some information about the seller.

My answers free and intended to be general and should not be relied upon in these areas. You should always seek out paid legal counsel.     

I hope that helps:

www.attorneybitcoin.com

Thanks for the info. Though my original response is the same. I still plan to buy and accumulate bitcoin for myself only. I am just intending to use it as cash for personal use and not sell it nor provide financial services etc.
CrYpToChRi$

Activity: 18
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 28, 2017, 08:21:36 PM

I have noticed some misinformation in some answers here. When it comes to taxes, laws and regulations, guessing or opinions are not helpful and can easily lead to problems. Most solutions to all the questions here can be summed up in a few short answers.

I can only give legal advice to laws in the United States but can discuss other countries in general terms. I've been involved as an attorney and a miner in BTC and Crypto's for 3 years. During that time I have represented many client's involved in our crypto world. Happy Mining!

AttorneyBitcoin
www.attorneybitcoin.com

Hello and thanks for doing this! I had some questions regarding the recent SEC decision on the DAO token, classifying them as securities.

I've been doing some research on this topic and have not found the exact answer.

1) Basically, I was wondering what are the legal/tax implications when participating in an ICO as an American citizen?
Let's say a US citizen uses a VPN to partake in an ICO. They double their money and then sell. They decide to cash out to fiat (USD) legally and pay the 40% short-term tax on that trade profit (as well as report it) to the IRS.
I heard that ICO providers prevent US citizens from participating to protect themselves legally from the American Government if a scam were to occur. Is this true? I basically come to realize this is a gray area.

2) If someone invests into a crypto months ago and then sells and the SEC determines that it was a security in the future, did that investor break the law? Can retroactive action be applied to this if no firm legal standing was enacted in the first place?

AttorneyBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 05:38:24 PM

1. It is my understanding that some ICO may not be accepting investments from U.S. Citizens in order to avoid being subject to SEC oversight.

2. This question is beyond the scope of my expertise.

Best:

www.attorneybitcoin.com
grinmoure

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 01:17:43 AM
Last edit: August 31, 2017, 01:32:41 AM by grinmoure

AttorneyBitcoin
www.attorneybitcoin.com

Hello and thanks for doing this! I had some questions regarding the recent SEC decision on the DAO token, classifying them as securities.

I've been doing some research on this topic and have not found the exact answer.

1) Basically, I was wondering what are the legal/tax implications when participating in an ICO as an American citizen?
Let's say a US citizen uses a VPN to partake in an ICO. They double their money and then sell. They decide to cash out to fiat (USD) legally and pay the 40% short-term tax on that trade profit (as well as report it) to the IRS.
I heard that ICO providers prevent US citizens from participating to protect themselves legally from the American Government if a scam were to occur. Is this true? I basically come to realize this is a gray area.

2) If someone invests into a crypto months ago and then sells and the SEC determines that it was a security in the future, did that investor break the law? Can retroactive action be applied to this if no firm legal standing was enacted in the first place?

1. second question:  ICO issuers may be cautious not to accept contributions from US citizens for fear of "selling unregistered securities" thereby possibily subjecting the issuers to SEC jurisdiction.

2. Interesting question.  Take a look at https://www.sec.gov/oiea/investor-alerts-and-bulletins/ib_coinofferings.
The focus in the Investor Bulletin are sales by the ICO issuer.  It's not so much whether the investor broke the law rather to help the investor protect against fraud.  

Full disclosure, I am an attorney practicing securities arbitration.  The foregoing is not intended to be legal advice and no attorney-client relationship is implied.
Liang Yao

Activity: 4

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 06:55:34 AM

Hello Mr. Greenberg,

I am a lawyer from China and am doing some research on Bitcoin/block chain issues.

I understand from various news reports that FBI seized a lot of Bitcoin from Silk Road and BTC-e during previous operations against them, and FBI may sell or may have sold them in the market. I am wondering how FBI can do this. As I understand it, no one can have access to the Bitcoin unless they get the private key to it. How can FBI get the private key to the Bitcoin held by Silk Road or BTC-e? Can FBI force someone to surrender his/her private key? I don't think so.

If I am the owner of some Bitcoin and I memorize the private key in my mind instead of writing it down, is it possible for the law enforcement authority in the US to take my Bitcoin and sell it in the market? If not, does it mean that the Bitcoin may not be subject to enforcement even if there is an effective judgment?

I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Regards,

Yao Liang
theochino

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

Bitcoiner ....

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2017, 04:29:56 PM

AttorneyBitcoin
www.attorneybitcoin.com

Did you listen to Rossdale CLE class on bitcoin ? If so, what was your opinion ?
I felt it wasn't comprehensive on certain subject ....
http://www.mcssl.com/store/legalresourcesinc/catalog/product/10a48f46dc5141e99cda0056d1eda08f

kkeylb

Activity: 49

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 06:04:23 PM

So if I have records of purchases on coinbase a while ago, and I used that btc to play on chinese bitcoin futures (margin), I never touched fiat, and I increased my bitcoin stash around 800%, and have been holding that bitcoin ever since, should there be any problems with me claiming that bitcoin as long term capital gains tax? What if the chinese bitcoin exchange was hacked and is now gone for some time?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: